Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paypal question

Paypal question

Ok, I'm ignorant as hell with this paypal thing. I've only bought by using my CC. Now, I'm selling my bike and the guy wants to pay via paypal. Paypal wants me to link my bank account by having me log into my bank. I'm not feeling warm and fussy logging into my bank thru Paypal. I'm a being paranoid for no reason?

And truly I don't know if it's needed? I'm assuming the transaction is his bank to my bank via Paypal, so I would have to link my bank?

So you can use the money.. other than through paypal
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Ok, so paypal will hold the money and I can use it with/through them or transfer to my bank. Hmm. I'm still nervous logging into my bank thru paypal, but I probably shouldn't be.

You don't need to give paypal your banking password.

There is an option (that they try to hide) where they will deposit two small transactions (a couple pennies each) into your account. You then tell paypal the amounts, thereby confirming the account is yours. Look around for the option. FYI, it will take 2-3 days, unlike the instantaneous login option.

Or you could give them your password, then change it. That's an option too. But I still don't like doing it. No idea what sort of data they scrape the instant they get in.

A bank account is the only way to get your money.
    Not unusual but I wouldn't do it if its a small amount. If the amount is large I'd then open a separate bank account because I'm paranoid as well
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

^thanks you guys. I found that other way to just link the account and routing number.

^^^^ that sounds like what i did

i've connected my bank acct and it has been useful tho i use it rarely

it's no different than setting up e-payment for your utilities or bills or whatever

& yes, the risk is still there

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    There is an option (that they try to hide) where they will deposit two small transactions (a couple pennies each) into your account. You then tell paypal the amounts, thereby confirming the account is yours. Look around for the option. FYI, it will take 2-3 days, unlike the instantaneous login option.
    This. It's no different than giving your account and routing numbers to your CC company so you can make electronic payments. Other option is to just leave the money in your Paypal account and use it for online purchases since most vendors accept Paypal. Paypal will also issue you a debit card that you can use to make purchases, but I've never done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Other option is to just leave the money in your Paypal account and use it for online purchases since most vendors accept Paypal.
    I've never needed the money from a paypal sale right away, I usually go this route. Use it for Gear Swap or Ebay purchases, things I would've spent money on anyway, or just let it sit there. But if it's just going to sit there, I don't believe it accrues interest. Use it for online gambling sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    I don't believe that is true, pretty sure you can request a check, though there might be a fee.

If you have a bank acct linked, however, you can pay your friends (and receive $ from friends) fee-free. I know a few people have PayPal horror stories, but I have used it a lot over years, and it works very well.

If you ever organize or participate in large group events, like hut trips, raft trips, winter condo rentals, etc, it's indispensable.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Not unusual but I wouldn't do it if its a small amount. If the amount is large I'd then open a separate bank account because I'm paranoid as well
    Not true about the only way to use the money is to tie into your bank account. You can use the funds to buy other stuff on Ebay, you can request a check be sent to you (takes longer, has fees involved and has to be over a certain amount), or you can apply for their debit card (Mastercard) and use that card at anyplace that takes credit/debit cards for purchases. I am not 100% sure the card can be obtained without some backup funding source though. However the linking of the bank account is pretty easy, and can be safe just like presenting a check to someone reveals your full bank account number and the bank you use. You can still elect to pay for purchases via credit card as the backup source of funding, instead of using the bank account for the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Ok, so paypal will hold the money and I can use it with/through them or transfer to my bank. Hmm. I'm still nervous logging into my bank thru paypal, but I probably shouldn't be.
    No need to log in to your bank through Paypal. You have a Paypal login (usually email address tied to the account). And you keep using your bank account online login just like always. I've had Paypal since before they were purchased by Ebay (now they again are a separate company and not owned by Ebay) and their disputes and customer service if there is a problem in my opinion is really good.

Debit card gets you 1% cash back on purchases made as credit card (swiped w card present or online purchases). But it is a debit card and funds just like using a bank debit card can have issues if you end up with a duplicate transaction or something, they withdraw the funds from the bank account, and then credit it only to the Paypal account (you have to manually transfer the credited amount back to the bank account if you wish to not use it via Paypal methods.

Isn't there a max monthly amount that you can move from PayPal to your bank? I haven't done it for a while but recall only being able to move $500 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Isn't there a max monthly amount that you can move from PayPal to your bank? I haven't done it for a while but recall only being able to move $500 at a time.
    I don't think so. I'm involved in a local sports club and parents register their kids and pay via paypal. We'll routinely move 10K to our bank.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    May depend on the type of Paypal account. They have a personal account and a business account, both. They also limit withdrawals if you have not verified some information with them.

For security reasons, there are initial limits on the amount of money you can withdraw from your PayPal account each month. Until you complete certain steps, you may be limited to the amount you can withdraw each month. The start of a month is determined by when the PayPal account was opened (for example, May 15 to June 15).

You can lift this limit by completing two out of three steps: linking and confirming your bank account, verifying your credit or debit card information and/or providing your social security number.

Here's how you can view and lift your withdrawal limit.

Click See how much you can send with PayPal under "More about your account."
    Follow the steps to remove your limit.

Set up a free checking account at some institution other than your bank. Link that account to your PayPal account. There has to be one of these banks in your town. Instant firewall.

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I don't think so. I'm involved in a local sports club and parents register their kids and pay via paypal. We'll routinely move 10K to our bank.
    Sounds like a sweet little scam you got going. I want in.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Bank acct numbers and routing numbers aren't exactly secret. You make them public every time you write a check.

Can't remember the last time I wrote a check.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

warm and fussy

Have had PayPal for many years, used to use it for occasional payments on eBay, (don't think that's even happening anymore), but hadn't used or logged in to my account in some time. Recently a friend paid me back $40 I'd loaned him using PayPal. Went to login to transfer the funds over to my bank account and can't seem to find any way to do that without now providing a mobile number. Really don't want to do that, because...

By providing your phone number, you give us permission to contact you about your branded PayPal accounts using automated calls or texts to service your accounts, investigate fraud, or collect a debt, but not for telemarketing.

If you don’t want to receive automated calls or texts, you can change your preferences in your account settings at any time.

Has anyone run into this and found a way to login to their PayPal account without providing a mobile number?

Type your email address in the phone number box, and enter. Try logging in from a desktop if you have problems on mobile. I just did this

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Type your email address in the phone number box, and enter. Try logging in from a desktop if you have problems on mobile. I just did this
    Thx for the response. Been busy with work past week, just coming up for air.

Tried the above. After logging in with username/pw I get to "Add your phone number". The box to input Mobile number only accepts digits, not letters, so can't type in an email address. No option to bypass or deal with later (as there was previously).

The "Contact Us" link at the bottom of that page has a few options, but all seem to lead back to adding a mobile number, including calling their 888 customer service number: "We'll send an authorization code to your mobile number", etc.

Any other feedback/ideas?

Find something to buy via paypal for $40 and get out while you still can

Send me the 40$ and I will mail you 1$ a year in loose pennies. Glad to help