Recommend me a shock (2011 Reign)

I'm pretty sure the Fox RP2 on my Reign is toast. It makes some pretty awful sucking/squishing noises when it cycles and the rear end generally feels like poo riding rough terrain, especially at speed. I'm not really surprised, it's five years old now and has a lot of miles on it. Basic seal service done mostly annually, but otherwise I haven't touched it.

My shock knowledge is limited, though I am aware that certain frames and shocks play nice together and others don't (hence the thread). Replacing it is preferred since I don't want send it in to Fox or Push and be without a bike for weeks during the prime season. I've also never been super impressed with it. It bottoms out too easily even with the largest volume reducer so anything that would improve that aspect is preferred. Suggestions? It's a 7.875x2.00, but apparently you can run a 7.875x2.25 without issue and get another 0.7" of travel.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-09-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Recommend me a shock (2011 Reign)

I like my CCDB Air with climb switch but I've heard from others it doesn't touch their coil version (which comes with a cs now).

Doubt you want to go coil though.

I had an RP23 once. Hated that shock. So much. You'll probably be stoked on anything new. I think Monarchs are getting a lot of love these days.
    Last edited by Swine; 06-09-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I put a Monarch Plus on mine. Have only had a few rides on it so far but much better than the old DHX 5 air that was on it before that, so happy enough with it so far.

Is there a reason this Monarch is $150 less than anything else I'm seeing on ebay?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Mon...oAAOSwB9xXOhMq

Thoughts on a Float iCD? Prices are quite attractive.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-Racing-F...UAAOSw3ydVjfsu

Except for a Cloud 9, Cane Creek's offerings all seem to be out of my budget.

That monarch just looks like a new old stock from.. 2011ish maybe? So it's cheaper because of that and because Bikewagon has good deals on things usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    I put a Monarch Plus on mine. Have only had a few rides on it so far but much better than the old DHX 5 air that was on it before that, so happy enough with it so far.
    What tune is yours? The white one I linked to is an M/L tune. Assuming that the leverage ratios on a 2011 Reign are similar to the 2015 models and I'm reading SRAM's chart right, the Low compression tune doesn't sound like a good fit.

https://qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/vivid.pdf
    http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/20...-275-2015.html

FWIW, I used to own an 09 Reign and ran a MM tune Monarch RT high volume (non-plus) on there and it felt about right. Mine in particular was actually the OE shock from a 2012 Reign.

I'm running a MM tune with the Debonair (stock) can, 2015 model shock. I can't remember where but I saw that MM was the tune to get for them.
    It's a 2013 frame, warranty replacement for a 2010, but they barely made any changes to the geom from what I've seen. I was in a hurry to buy something and decided to spend the extra 60€ on the Plus vs the standard Monarch because things tend to get warm in the alps. As I said, still need to play with it a bit, been a wet and snowy season so far so haven't been on the bike much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Fox RP2 on my Reign is toast. It makes some pretty awful sucking/squishing noises when it cycles and the rear end generally feels like poo riding rough terrain, especially at speed. I'm not really surprised, it's five years old now and has a lot of miles on it. Basic seal service done mostly annually, but otherwise I haven't touched it.

My shock knowledge is limited, though I am aware that certain frames and shocks play nice together and others don't (hence the thread). Replacing it is preferred since I don't want send it in to Fox or Push and be without a bike for weeks during the prime season. I've also never been super impressed with it. It bottoms out too easily even with the largest volume reducer so anything that would improve that aspect is preferred. Suggestions? It's a 7.875x2.00, but apparently you can run a 7.875x2.25 without issue and get another 0.7" of travel.
    No idea, but if the right people see this,

You should be Spancered.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    No idea, but if the right people see this,

You should be Spancered.
    Hah! I wish. My bike skills are markedly pedestrian.

Any opinions on X-Fusion shocks?

like this one? http://www.jensonusa.com/X-Fusion-02...-Shock-No-PCKG

don't have any time on their shocks, but I have a Trace RL2 fork that has been pretty impressive. Not as nice as my pike, but I also paid less than $200 for it, so I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hah! I wish. My bike skills are markedly pedestrian.

Any opinions on X-Fusion shocks?
    I have a data point of one. My buddy bought one to throw on while his CC was getting rebuilt. He says it feels like a piece of junk and he hates it. Pretty sure he got the cheapest air offering though. I've heard good things about X-Fusion forks so I was a bit surprised. I'm riding with him tomorrow and I'll give it a closer look.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I had a X Fusion O2 RL on an original Ibis Mojo, and liked it. Good basic shock.

Currently have a Microlite RL on a Ripley, and I preferred the O2. The rebound adjustment on the O2 had a wider range of effect. On the Microlite, it doesn't do anything until you get way into the far range of damping, and then each click makes a big difference - would prefer more gradual changes. It's also a very small shock body, and gets warm when riding. Still works same as when it was new, but just not that great.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Facing the realities of my personal balance sheet and prices on new piggyback shocks, I've been perusing Pinkbike and considering inline options. Any input on the options below is appreciated. Trying to wade through the Fox marketing hype is killing me. All things being equal, would I be better off with a 2016 "Performance" series Float CTD with the EVOL air sleeve, or a 2014/2015 "Factory" series with the standard air sleeve?

2013 Monarch+ RC3. Used, but fresh off a FluidWorks rebuild
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1976267/

2016 Float CTD, Performance Series w/ EVOL air sleeve. New.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1991174/

2015 Float CTD, Factory Series. New. 2.25" stroke is a bonus.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1983200/

2014 Float CTD, Factory Series. "lightly used" takeoff
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1998145/

I checked out my buddy's O2 RL. Seems fine to me. I think he just sucks at setting shit up. Obviously won't be as nice as the CC.

I haven't run anything from Fox in several years. I am biased against based on my prior experience with Fox and their service intervals, and/or the fact that their stuff actually feels terrible when they say it will. I'd go Monarch out of those options. Someone else chime in but wasn't the 2014 CTD universally hated?

Also. Piggybacks are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Someone else chime in but wasn't the 2014 CTD universally hated?
    Ah, excellent, thanks. It appears the damper is all new for 2016 so I think that one's still in contention.

Doing some more searching last night I also found a 2012 Vivid Air for a good price. Guy is from Georgia and claims he rarely rode the bike it was on (also a Reign). Hmmm....

I've got a current monarch rt3 M/M tune I took of a Turner RFX. It's been ridden once. If you want to go that route, let me know.

That white one on ebay is cheap because it's ugly and white, and is the pre debonair can design.

The cheapest thing to do would be to just get your shock serviced. It's just cavitating from gas in there that's just a byproduct of the damper oil breaking down. Pretty normal. There are better shocks out these days though.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've got a current monarch rt3 M/M tune I took of a Turner RFX. It's been ridden once. If you want to go that route, let me know.
    How much do you want for it?

That white one on ebay is cheap because it's ugly and white, and is the pre debonair can design.
    I don't mind the ugly factor or lack of Debonair can. But the Low compression tune seems like a deal breaker.

The cheapest thing to do would be to just get your shock serviced. It's just cavitating from gas in there that's just a byproduct of the damper oil breaking down. Pretty normal. There are better shocks out these days though.
    I know, but it doesn't seem worth putting $150 into my current shock and being bike-less while it's at Fox/Push. The Vivid guy is motivated, just offered $200 shipped. That seems like a great deal. Uphill performance is my only reservation.

300 bucks?

It's a 7.875 x 2.25
    Make absolutely sure that a longer stroke isn't going to mess up the suspension. Some of these parallelogram bikes get a little wonky sometimes if you go outside of their designed range of motion.

Those giants pedal pretty well. I think you'd be fine with a vivid air too. Given what it costs to rebuild those though, it needs to be fairly new. They end up cavitating just like all the others and it's usually cheaper to buy another one that to get them serviced. They're kind of a pain in the ass like that.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Given what it costs to rebuild those though, it needs to be fairly new. They end up cavitating just like all the others and it's usually cheaper to buy another one that to get them serviced. They're kind of a pain in the ass like that.
    Just looked that up, yikes. Sounds like you can't do a basic air sleeve service without servicing the damper too. Gah! Based on his description I'd say it probably has ~50 hours on it.

When those things get gas bubbles in them, they start losing damping and get a noticeable clunk in the stroke. I don't know if there's any way for you to check that but if it has that clunk, stay away.

I've got one that's been sitting in a parts been for 4 years because paying someone to rebuild it is more expensive than buying another used one.

Think I'm going to go for the rebuilt Monarch+ over the new '16 Float DPS. Monarch guy offered it up for the same price as the Float. Seems like a great deal since it hasn't been ridden after a full rebuild by Fluid Function (http://www.fluid-function.com/). If anyone thinks that's a bad decision speak up fast.

Three rides in on the Monarch+ so far and way stoked. Far plusher than the RP2 was brand new, yet much poppier and pedals great. Uses full travel without bottoming out harshly like the RP2 would even with the biggest volume reducer, despite intentional attempts to do so. Interestingly I'm running about 35% sag which is way more than the 20-25% the Rockshox setup guide recommends for the non-Debonair can versions.