cutting thwarts out of my Avon 14' bucket boat

got a very clean vintage Avon 14' bucket boat beauty last year, so far the Lower D and John Day have been awesome. It's got a frame, a full 3" foam floor, and 2 thwarts, and on the longer JD trip we got to thinking that really, we don't need the thwarts.....i'm not planning on doing any paddle rafting (I think...really just want it for a safer fishing vessel for rocky or low water

any opinions/experiences on cutting thwarts out? I checked, they are glued in. But cut out, the storage on the raft would be huge with a couple drop baskets.

and if cut out, any leads on baskets that would attach to the frame?

thx! hope your seasons are wet and fun so far
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Tapper, that is no problem. Gear boats with frames don't run thwarts. With the glued in thwarts, many of the old timers just deflate the thwarts. It might be worth having a professional "un-glue" them vs. cutting. By baskets, I think you means drop bag like this type of arraignment. Lot's of people make them. Head over to mountainbuzz.com if you want the input of a bunch of raft nerds.

Name:  down-river-drop-bag.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  159.7 KB

could, with skill, cut them off with a few inches extra, and put eyelets in for a thwart if needed. Tying thwarts in with cord, webbing, or even snaplocks used to be a design feature.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Perfect, thx boys.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I had custom drop bags from tuff river stuff made. They are good and plenty burly. I had a sheet of udhp cut to size to fit over the top, then I just hold this down with four 1' straps. Makes for a nice seat. Tons of storage. Have fun.