Thread: MotoGP

Uccio/ "That's ok baby, I got you."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 10.04.33 AM.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	851.0 KB 
ID:	232441
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The Marquez show is going down this afternoon in Texas

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 6.59.29 AM.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	701.7 KB 
ID:	233242

Name:	20180420_203903.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	233243
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Not likely, but would like to see Cal win today.

Hard no! ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Carl “Crash” Crutchlow.

Yup ^^^ he was due.

Just finished watching the race, a masterclass schooling by Marc Marquez. Impressive showing by Crazy Joe today.

Scrubbing off 170mph is....

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 8.10.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	233304
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Did you guys see Jakub Kornfeli’s save at Moto3???
    Holy...

https://instagram.com/p/BjB8NBTj_yi/

Yup, drizzling yesterday morning and I watched warn up practice and all 3 races.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 10.03.07 AM.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	988.6 KB 
ID:	236550

FP 1 or 2, I forget which one
    The new improved GOAT

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 4.54.52 PM.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	833.0 KB 
ID:	236551
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

“Marc is a freak!”

I’m stood in the Le Mans pitlane, chatting with a venerable MotoGP engineer, trying to eke from him the relative merits of every bike on the grid.

“The holy grail of motorcycle racing has always been to come up with a device that can save front-end slides, and now Honda has one…” he says, pausing for effect. “He’s called Marc Márquez.”

And that there is the story of MotoGP right now. Love him or loathe him, Márquez is on another level to everyone else. He has an ability that none of the others possess. That doesn’t mean he’s unbeatable, because he’s not always the fastest man out there, but it’s this unique talent that helps him to make the difference.

Most people only notice Márquez sliding the front tyre when he’s saving a slide, or not quite saving a slide. But his uncanny ability to play with the front tyre isn’t merely about trying to save crashes; it’s about using the front-tyre slide as a performance tool, to help pivot the bike at the apex of the corner to tighten his line and therefore cut faster lap times.

His almost supernatural ability to save front slides was especially noticeable at Le Mans, where there were no less than 109 crashes over the three days, more than twice the total at Jerez a fortnight earlier.

Márquez was one of those fallers. On Saturday morning he was, as always exploring deep into the unknown when he tipped into the Turn 3 left-hander, lost the front at 56 degrees of lean and crashed his Repsol Honda RC213V. But the crash was a long-time coming, especially in super-slow-mo. The front tyre folded to the left a few degrees, the handlebars swung the same way by a few degrees and the bike stayed like that for what seemed like an eon, as he fought to stay in control, by digging his left elbow into the kerb, by digging his left knee into the asphalt, by adjusting his body position and by gently opening the throttle take load off the front tyre. Throughout these few seconds the tyre had already lost grip, it was merely skating across the asphalt, while Márquez scrambled to remove some load, slow the skid and give the rubber a chance to regain traction.

Finally the battle was lost, the handlebars swung to full lock and he was down: scraping the bodywork, breaking the aero and snapping a footrest. Márquez got straight to his feet, picked the bike out of the gravel, bumped-started the engine and carried on like nothing had happened, upping his pace over the next few laps to go second quickest in the session, even though the RCV’s lopsided aero made the bike pull to the right whenever he hit the brakes.

There is a reason why riders crash at Turn 3 (Le Mans’ first left-hander). The left side of the front tyre hasn’t touched the asphalt since Turn 12 of the previous lap and has been cooling down ever since, so by the time the rider arrives at Turn 3 the front tyre may have reached a critically low temperature. This is something that all riders must deal with at Le Mans. I remember watching at the same corner on Saturday morning in 2012, when four MotoGP riders ended up in the gravel because their front tyre had cooled down too much on the start/finish straight. Imagine the psychology of dealing with that as you hurtle through the 150mph turns one and two, then brake into the next corner…

During Sunday morning warm-up, Tito Rabat had the exact same crash at the exact same place as Márquez 24 hours earlier. It was interesting to compare the two accidents in super-slow-mo. Rabat’s front tyre folded and the handlebars swung to the left, just like Márquez. And that was that. Rabat was down. Sure, the 2015 Moto2 world champion isn’t Valentino Rossi or Jorge Lorenzo, but his inability to play with the skating front tyre to bring it back from the brink was a perfect illustration of the difference between Márquez and everyone else, including Rossi and Lorenzo.

Then Márquez did same again during the race, except this time he didn’t fall off. The front folded as he swept into Turn 3, soon after he had taken the lead, and it stayed folded for a millisecond or three before Márquez dug his left elbow into the track to rescue the situation, no doubt utilising the lessons learned the previous morning. In other words, if his third victory in a row looked like a walk in the park, it wasn’t.

Riders had two realistic Michelin front options for Sunday: the medium or soft. Most knew they would have to race the medium, even if the tyre was tricky, because many riders had crashed in practice while trying it out.

Nonetheless, the three men most likely to win the race chose the medium: Johann Zarco, Andrea Dovizioso and Márquez. Dovizioso lasted five laps before he lost the front at Turn 6 and crashed, while Zarco lasted another two laps before he lost the front at Turn 8 and crashed. Márquez therefore knew he was in a risky situation and would need all his skill to make it to the finish ahead of the chasing pack.

Zarco blamed his crash on carrying a fraction too much speed into a downhill corner, with a full fuel load. Dovizioso’s explanation was a bit more complicated. “That was the first time I had used the front tyre to the limit. I braked a little late and went a little wide, so I tried to slide the rear to help the bike turn and remove some weight from the front, but I had two movements from the bike and when it came back I lost the front. I had also lost the front in practice; the reason I crashed in the race is because there is always less grip in the race.”

Fourth-placed Jack Miller raced with the soft front after the medium had given him a few scares in practice. “I think the soft was the right option, looking at what Dovizioso did with the medium,” he said. “Race day was hot, but with all the Moto2 and Moto3 rubber down, we needed the edge grip the soft had.”

Miller spent much of the race chasing runner-up Danilo Petrucci, the highest finisher with the soft front, and third-placed Valentino Rossi, who chose the medium. “I knew the soft tyre was a risk,” added the Aussie. “I got a lot of squishing and made a few little mistakes at Turn 8. A couple of times I went in there and had the front tyre collapse [deflect too much], so I had to release the brake and go again. Valentino made the same mistakes, so I knew it would be like that.”

Márquez walked the same line as everyone else but stayed on and won the race. It’s also worth noting that he was the only rider on the grid to choose the hard-option rear slick; so he had made brave but risky choices at both ends.

“Marc is a freak!” says fellow Honda rider Cal Crutchlow, who isn’t the only rival who holds the reigning MotoGP king in awe. “He saves a bike at 60 degrees of lean 15 times a weekend. That doesn’t happen with anyone else.”

The 25-year-old isn’t the first bike racer to rule the world by controlling front-end slides, which is probably a hundred times more difficult than controlling a rear-end slide. The man who first brought this dazzling skill to the sport was ‘Fast’ Freddie Spencer, winner of the 1983 and 1985 500cc world championships.

It says something that it’s taken 30 years before someone else has come along and done the same thing, albeit much more spectacularly, thanks to much-improved tyre performance. Spencer also employed the front-end pivot, just like Márquez does now, to help beat everyone else. The only reason both men can do that is because they have the talent to delicately skate on super-thin ice, lap after lap.

Many people call this a natural talent. But mostly it isn’t. Such skills come from a lifetime spent on bikes, going round and round in circles for thousands and thousands of hours, mostly on dirt bikes, to hardwire that information into your brain and your body.

How long before someone learns to emulate Márquez’s front-tyre skills? Nobody knows: it could be next week, next year, next decade or maybe never. So just enjoy it while you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Mugello or hazy yellow cloud central. Hopefully Marc really gives them something to boo about.

350kph or so

http://www.motogp.comfree-video

Crazy Joe is throwing the double finger to Suzuki this weekend, hope it works for him.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 6.28.43 PM.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	237759

Duc trying to flambé Dovi and this after setting the all time speed record.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 6.05.45 PM.jpg 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	237760
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

wanna watch Moto America on Bein but they don't have a deal with comcast. anyone know of a free stream ?
    MotoAmerica - Wisconsin Superbike Race 1
    3:00 PM ET beIN SPORTS
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

How about George on Sunday morning? Didn't he just School everybody! Good to see him get that first win in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    How about George on Sunday morning? Didn't he just School everybody! Good to see him get that first win in.
    I gotta see how rossi blew that pole( so to speak )

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

glad I asked, but didn't see the pass to put 46 in 3rd. still, that was great. Thanks

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

No Halo's here!

KTM test rider Mika Kalio headed for a hard air fence hit in FP2. Knee injury has him out for at least the rest of the season. This after his 200mph high side last time out.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 5.58.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	523.9 KB 
ID:	241470

Push for pole!

http://www.motogp.comfree-video-the-thrilling-last-3-minutes-of-q2-in-germany
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Too busy golfing?

British GP

One wheel braking

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.21.43 PM.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	715.4 KB 
ID:	245050

Petrux almost takes out the Spartan, gets hot shoe!

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.25.18 PM.jpg 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	245051
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

MotoGP

Too busy golfing?
    Guilty as charged.
    Haven’t even started my bike this year.
    I get one track minded...

I do adore Silverstone.

Hah, I've been pedaling too much myself, need more fast flicking.

Shitshow in FP4, Rabat out with a broken leg after getting hit by Morbidellis' bike in the gravel after a crash fest due to hydroplaning at 200kph. Rins jumped off at speed to avoid crashing. Good times.

160kph jumpoff

motogp.com/free-video-rins-jumps-from-his-aquaplaning-bike
    Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 08-25-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

humpty dumpty for Rabat

femur, tibia, fibia - compound with an open artery.

So who's on the carpet in the paddock?... who were the safety inspection riders? As an obligation of the riders group, every event is previsited by 2 riders (normally); usually two weeks out.

How many regional events did they run on the new macadam before GP

it didn't rain all summer in northamptonshire

pretty shitty to be on the receiving end of what looks to be incompetence from a cursory view
    ​I am not in your hurry

Romano Fenati in his lastest meltdown tosses this years ride away and loses [rightfully] his MV Agusta ride next season.

Dick move to pull another riders brake lever.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 7.58.33 PM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	714.6 KB 
ID:	246852
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

He has rap sheet of fucked up behavior previously.
    Got kicked outta Val’s Sky VR46 2016 program and killed other rider’s engine switch at the practice start line.
    What an ass.

He done messed up good this time. How to get yourself banned.

Saw a headline this morning that he got banned for life but couldn't find anything to back that up. I did see this though...
    https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018...ce-fired-video

“Mine was the gesture of someone who wanted to say: ‘stop, look, if I want to, I can make you fall off.”

Fenati’s team, the Marinelli Snipers, have dropped him as a result and the disgraced rider is saying he’s leaving the sport all together.

“That world is closed to me, I’ll not race anymore. It isn’t my world. There is too much injustice. I was wrong, that is true, but nobody cares about my pain.”

He went on to defend his actions, saying “I was unable to control my anger but Manzi could have killed me too.”

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton