Memorial Day Weekend in the Mountains of West Montuckistan

Been a while since I've done one of these, but I actually went on a "trip" so here ya go.

Into the spring deluge we drove, hydroplaning on the interstate, spinning our wheels thru a couple dozen miles of slimy clay ruts, and chugging up a mountain road that resembled pocket water on one of Montana's finest blue ribbon trout streams. It seemed like about the most absurd thing a skier might do, but it's Memorial Day weekend in southwest Montana, so this is about how the tradition usually goes. Got done with a big stretch of work days in a row and made a beeline for the soggiest, most dreary and desolate place my shuddering old suby could make it to for 5 days of questionable weather and skiing ambitions. At least we had copious amounts of firearms, meat, and alcohol in case things didn't pan out!

We made sure the fire was at least 10 feet high at all times in order to bring some cheer to this watery place, and proceeded to drink the rain drops into magical hexagonal crystals in our own minds. It seemed to have worked as the storm ended with a freeze down pretty low and a few inches of powder up high. We decided to do the long tour version to a mountain just north of camp that held a nice 2000' gully on it's hidden northwest aspect. Contouring around cloverleaf shaped glacial basins, past frozen lakes and over a few ridges later, we managed to stay on snow for most of the way until we scrambled up the rocky west ridge to the summit.

Looking back at the mountain that stood guard over our campsite:

Gnar lines off the crest peaks:

Summit!

The line was in beautiful shape...A magical carpet of spring powder on smooth corn, you could just fly like it was a ski dream. There was a huge wind wave rollover feature halfway down. I stopped to snap a few pics of tracks and my buddy Simon:

Funny thing about that one, we never really got to see the line in all it's glory. We had to contour hard up valley and skin back to one of two passes we had to go over to get back to camp.

A view of the rocky south side:

A long day of mountain travel.

Back to our outpost, at least 30 miles from anything loosely resembling civilization.

The next day, still half drunk on, um, our success from the previous mission, we decided to mount another day long expedition over yonder to the next mosquito infested valley.

Gnar couloir:

looking back at yesterday's adventure:

other rad stuff to pick off over the years:

On this perfect day however, we bite off a little more than we can chew unfortunately. The nagging sense of failure and hours more hot slogging is our reward. But not to disappoint. As the wiser of you degenerates know, nothing stokes the fire of senseless ambition like missing out, chronic pain, and hours of dehydrated exhaustion!

"The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

So after a day in a tent coma for me and another day of running up and down mountains for Simon and friends, a change of venue presented us with fresh views of our shining mountains above the big lonely cow spotted valley.

This'll do for a few more days and nights:

I've seen a lot of glacier lilys, but I've never seen so many freakin glacier lilys.

but enough of that sleepy little interlude, on to the flying down mountains part:

a clean line thru from peak to creek!

I knew it would all catch up with him eventually:

So I counted lady bugs till Simon re emerged from his summit coma.

I tossed a rock into the sluice to check on the corn, it's good!

Sheets of butter as the Idahoans call it, just right.

And so with that we did what any dirtbag worth their Montucky salt would do, we blew of our obligations back in civil society to go and persue more senseless mountain sliding ambitions! We spent the evening around the fire convincing each other and ourselves that yes, we would avenge our failure from the other day.

...and so the next morning we did just that, by way of a route that partly utilized the path of our previous failure.

a long way down to the desert from up here:

...and as always, a few short moments of elated glory for our efforts.

Still a slog ahead of us:

During which we were treated to the most amazing sun halo I've ever seen:

it worked out pretty damn well all things considered and we stayed on snow for as much of it as we possibly could.

and there the shining mountains rest, until the next set of curvy lines may graciously be set upon them. Happy mountain travels.

"The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Yes, yes! FKNAplus. Really enjoyed this, Mr. Capone. Excellent work in such fine country.

Nice job! Somebody ski that couloir! (And take pictures.)

nice one!

Great stuff!

thumbs up. thanks for sharing

Looks like an excellent weekend. Love the combination of snowy peaks and green camp spots!
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Nice photos, thanks for posting.

Holy shit, that is epic.
    Care to say what ranges?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just a quick day trip to the south of you stuck, not too far at all. Looking back I was thinking, it still is just as exciting for me now to stand on top of a new mountain, or just to climb one I've been on before, as it was that first time I ever set foot on one. Pretty sweet that the mountains never lose their magical appeal, that there are always fresh new ways to slide around in the mountain terrain or just climb and ski an old favorite. I just hope I get to keep close to the mountains and be allowed safe and happy travels among them for many years to come. Too much fun left to have.

Soooooo well done.
    Out of Darby??

Nice

Nice