Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 362
  1. #326
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,231
    It’s a Friday afternoon competition between AR and Steepbased as to who can get drunk and post the stupidest shit

  2. #327
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    30,446
    AR thinks any sort of disdain of abject stupidity is an elitist, liberal trait.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  3. #328
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    550
    Saw a black bear in the park today. Did not get mauled nor need tazing. NPS is remarkably on top of controlling wildlife adjacent to the roadway, by which I mean humans.

  4. #329
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,034
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    AR thinks any sort of disdain of abject stupidity is an elitist, liberal trait.
    No in this case I just see a difference between real morons like the tourist who tried to put their kid on top of a bison or the lady who tried to pet an elk, and this lady who was standing in a parking lot.

    I find it hard to believe that you can overcome examples like this most recent one when you have a park designed to bring 5 million people there. There are inherently going to be conflict issues, and vilifying ladies standing in a parking lot looking at wildlife, which is explicitly what the park is there for to begin with, seems like misplaced anger to me.

    But sure, it’s just a political thing. Everything is apparently to most of you.

  5. #330
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,575
    Sure petting an elk or putting your kid on a bison is next level stupid.

    But if you find yourself in close proximity to an animal like a bison or elk or bear, you move away to give them distance. This isn't rocket science. You don't stand there gaping and taking selfies, and you don't get out of your car at that point to gape and take pics. Sadly a lot of people are too selfish or too clueless to not do just that.

  6. #331
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,026
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Sure petting an elk or putting your kid on a bison is next level stupid.

    But if you find yourself in close proximity to an animal like a bison or elk or bear, you move away to give them distance. This isn't rocket science. You don't stand there gaping and taking selfies, and you don't get out of your car at that point to gape and take pics. Sadly a lot of people are too selfish or too clueless to not do just that.
    Exactly. This isn't political AR you Putz. If there's a wild animal (especially a top of food chain omnivore) in your midst, it doesn't take a shit ton of intelligence to know you should probably have some protection (like a vehicle) around you for safe viewing.

  7. #332
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Sure petting an elk or putting your kid on a bison is next level stupid.

    But if you find yourself in close proximity to an animal like a bison or elk or bear, you move away to give them distance. This isn't rocket science. You don't stand there gaping and taking selfies, and you don't get out of your car at that point to gape and take pics. Sadly a lot of people are too selfish or too clueless to not do just that.
    I don’t know what the distance limitation is but the Yellowstone park LEOs will most definitely let you park in a pullout, get out of your car, walk a short distance and gape at wildlife. In fact just a day ago, I parked, got out of my car, gaped at a black bear that was ~100 yards out and the LEO who was there was basically only concerned with people who were stopping in the road to take pictures instead of pulling off.

    I saw several examples of people camped out with lawn chairs watching bison herds from ~150’ or less and LEOs driving by not even slowing down. The entire east entrance is basically configured to accommodate people parking in pullouts to gape at bison.

    But walking up to these animals is most certainly dumb, especially grizzlies. I mean, you really have to be a dumb fuck to get out of the car with a grizzly 30’ off the road. Having just been there, there are a lot of people who have clearly never seen anything other than a domestic pet outside of a zoo.

    The little signs they have at Mammoth with the elk trampling the tourist is hilarious. I need that on a T-shirt.

  8. #333
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    No in this case I just see a difference between real morons like the tourist who tried to put their kid on top of a bison or the lady who tried to pet an elk, and this lady who was standing in a parking lot.

    I find it hard to believe that you can overcome examples like this most recent one when you have a park designed to bring 5 million people there. There are inherently going to be conflict issues, and vilifying ladies standing in a parking lot looking at wildlife, which is explicitly what the park is there for to begin with, seems like misplaced anger to me.

    But sure, it’s just a political thing. Everything is apparently to most of you.
    You have to admit that while the park does encourage a massive amount of people to visit, they are very loud via staff and signs about exiting your vehicle around animals, especially bears. There are signs everywhere.

    I don’t think you can even get past the entrance station without seeing a warning.

  9. #334
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,533
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Exactly. This isn't political AR you Putz. If there's a wild animal (especially a top of food chain omnivore) in your midst, it doesn't take a shit ton of intelligence to know you should probably have some protection (like a vehicle) around you for safe viewing.
    Black bears break into locked cars all the time. I'm sure a grizzly could do it easily if it had a mind to. Hopefully they're well fed, but if they aren't the best protection would be all those alternative food sources still outside their cars.

  10. #335
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,026
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Black bears break into locked cars all the time. I'm sure a grizzly could do it easily if it had a mind to. Hopefully they're well fed, but if they aren't the best protection would be all those alternative food sources still outside their cars.
    Luckily doc, the bears up here are stupid and haven't evolved such that they get into cars with their doors shut, never mind locked.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  11. #336
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    shit, back here in the east the bears are stealing cars.

  12. #337
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,026
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    shit, back here in the east the bears are stealing cars.
    I didn't think Chicago was considered the east. But then again I don't have a clue where upstate starts.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  13. #338
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    13,492
    shit, here the bears have shady trading accounts. A lot of them were in on the GameStop deal. Thieves I tell ya.

  14. #339
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    23,661
    I'm lazy today and didn't check to see if this is a dup:

    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  15. #340
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    30,446
    Last week some jackwad on Facebook asked if anyone could help him retrieve his lost drone from Jackson Lake. Post disappeared pretty damn quick...
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  16. #341
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,778
    30'...fuck have you ever seen a griz run?...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

  17. #342
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,067
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Black bears break into locked cars all the time. I'm sure a grizzly could do it easily if it had a mind to. Hopefully they're well fed, but if they aren't the best protection would be all those alternative food sources still outside their cars.
    Grizz definitely can get into locked cars. Last summer some dipshit tourists staying at a VRBO in my building left a pizza in the backseat of their car overnight. Car was closed but not locked. Grizz reached his paw under the door handle and opened it, scoring himself a free pizza. Car not damaged. Grizz came back the next night, car now locked and no pizza in it. Grizz wanted to make sure, so paw under the door handle again. Hmmmm, locked... No problem, Grizz just tore the handle off and opened the door like a can opener. Came back every night that week getting pepper sprayed repeatedly but tore up door handles every night. Took a week to teach Mr. Grizz that not every car has a pizza in the back seat and it’s not worth the hassle of ripping up a door handle to find out.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  18. #343
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,452
    Must of been some good pizza

  19. #344
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    13,159
    Sounds like a $30 pie.

  20. #345
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,533
    One of the popular designs for bear boxes around here is a push up latch inside a metal surround. I guess the idea is that surround is too narrow for a paw but not for a human hand, although it seems like a bear could open it if they* had a mind to. So either black bears aren't as smart as griz, or there are too many easier food sources to bother.

    *I wasn't sure what pronouns bears use.

  21. #346
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,118
    12345
    Last edited by JimmyCarter; 06-17-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: pocket reply

  22. #347
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    13,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Sounds like a $30 pie.
    Yeah. What toppings?

  23. #348
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    *I wasn't sure what pronouns bears use.
    zhey

  24. #349
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    I believe that was the blackberry and ground squirrel pie

  25. #350
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    16,440
    when you have a park designed to bring 5 million people there. There are inherently going to be conflict issues, and vilifying ladies standing in a parking lot looking at wildlife, which is explicitly what the park is there for to begin with, seems like misplaced anger to me.
    Must be another Blue Moon.

    Yellowstone is spectacular, its just down the road from me and I won't go there anymore. Too many people increases the number of stupid fucks, its just a matter of %. Been driving to Big Sky 3-4 times a week, traffic has been horrendous between the construction related traffic, the tourists and the raft company buses. Tourist season is just getting started. Been averaging seeing at least 1 bear a week, all blackies and most are pretty blase about cars and humans.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •