Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    That would have been one of many when he "bought out" of MOF research quite recently, all those old farts are leaving
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    bear spray in GNP is hilarious as long as it happens to someone else. Tourists "accidentally" spray it in gift shops, restaurants, traffic stops, ticket windows...
    Or in their face if into the breeze.

You don't piss into the wind
    I still call it The Jake.

I saw 4 bull elk just down the road this evening

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    mountain lion
    6 lions have been killed within a mile of our farm this spring. They feast on our sheep- we have taken a beating with losses

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I haven't heard that tail, heh. But short term discomfort might have been worth the retirement shame of that story.

Yep, hate the stuff. Certainly has its place for some users, but after suffering its effects from several dumbfucks (and never in my experience actualIy employed for its intended purpose) discourage its use on my field tours. I'm a big guy, currently with a KBD, and project a certain calm yet stern demeanour - stressful encounters are few and far between given the exposure risk. Let the newbies/tourists be protected by their skunk totem, but away from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Or in their face if into the breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    6 lions have been killed within a mile of our farm this spring. They feast on our sheep- we have taken a beating with losses
    There's a mtn lion that hangs out at our local mountain bike trail system - most recent sighting was at the Hello Kitty connector trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Pretty funny...and his costar is HAWT.
    "Cuddles and kisses."
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post

You need one of these
    Name:  anatolian shepherd.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  13.6 KB
    Anatolian shepherd

More like three or four. We use Pyreneese, Anatolians, Akbash, Komondors and Sarplaninacs. We had two cool Kangal puppies a year ago that we were going to try until someone stole them. Probably should be in doggie stoke, but these guys just arrived to begin their new careers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	870.6 KB 
ID:	183343  

Yes we need dogs badly but only puppies seem to be available -> they would get killed quick.

Our temp solution is penning at night but they still sometimes come thru during the day

Your not reimbursed by the guberment for killed live stock??? What the fuck am I thinking of, as I thought that was the case?

O, I see, depends on the state and what animal did the killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

As a breeder no I don't get reimbursed. If I only bought livestock to grow and then sell I could write it off... But as is I already deduct the cost of the animals (feed etc).

I could go to a inventory type of reporting but I think that would make me pay more in the end even with the losses. I'll worry about that next year when I'm doing taxes.

Finding mature guardian dogs that work is hard and expensive. We generally start with puppies, but it's always a guessing game on which ones will work, matching the right dogs together since they don't always get along and so on. We have currently have enough dogs that we can usually pair the pups with adults so its just not puppies with the sheep, and and they learn. We have an older Pyrenees that is great with the pups, but unfortunately I don't think he will be with us much longer. These guys are in a small pen with some dry ewe lambs to bond.

Maybe try guard Llamas? You don't have to train them apparently. http://modernfarmer.com/2014/02/got-...get-dog-llama/

I don't know if they will work on mountain lions, but for wolves the best thing is a donkey. Donkeys will bond with your sheep, and if a wolf comes around the donkey will stomp the shit out of the wolf. No joke.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe try guard Llamas? You don't have to train them apparently. http://modernfarmer.com/2014/02/got-...get-dog-llama/
    Llamas protect against wolves and 'yotes, but Teh Googelz has many examples of cougar-on-llama assaults
    This one happened 100 miles north of steepconcrete-cougar kills sheep, goats and two llamas.
    http://koin.com/2015/09/18/cougar-ki...ckamas-county/

300 win mag
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Finding mature guardian dogs that work is hard and expensive. We generally start with puppies, but it's always a guessing game on which ones will work, matching the right dogs together since they don't always get along and so on. We have currently have enough dogs that we can usually pair the pups with adults so its just not puppies with the sheep, and and they learn. We have an older Pyrenees that is great with the pups, but unfortunately I don't think he will be with us much longer. These guys are in a small pen with some dry ewe lambs to bond.
    So you are saying our pain in the ass Pyrenees who is never-not guarding is worth thousands? Huh. Tempting, but probably not worth to get a divorce for selling the wife's dog, damn it.

Maybe you should set up an airbnb for working dogs to visit ranches, that might fly with my wife. Ha.

Saw some Caribou chilling 2/3 of the way up a couloir in the Chic Chocs a few years back. ml242 and I were planning to reach a saddle below the summit via the couloir so we hung out a couple hundred meters away off to the side, had a snack and waited for them to move. After 15 minutes or so they straightlined the couloir at a full gallop. They all went down at the same time, so they must have known that the avy danger was low.

Not Yellowstone or concerning wildlife but somewhat related since it's gapers doing stupid shit in a National Park.

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/graffiti-at-grca.htm
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Not Yellowstone or concerning wildlife but somewhat related since it's gapers doing stupid shit in a National Park.

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/graffiti-at-grca.htm
    I guess they should start going through phone books and start with the last name "Evans".

WTF is wrong with people? Now a man missing and presumed dead because he fell in to a hot spring at the Norris Geyser Basin?

just saw that too- insane
    it's gotten exponentially out of hand recently

WTF is wrong with people? Now a man missing and presumed dead because he fell in to a hot spring at the Norris Geyser Basin?
    Maybe trying to rescue a bison calf?
    The Sheriff is near!

Good. Hopefully he didn't have offspring.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda