Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Many years ago in Banff, a Japanese Tourist got a little too close to one of the town's bull elk while getting that perfect shot. Shortly after, the bull was gamboling around town with a dead Japanese tourist in his rack, camera dangling.

after paw finished goring himself on the moose (as opposed to BEING gored by the moose) they took some picts of the Kill zone, so with a 30-06 slug in him that 800lb moose quit dodging the trees and just knocked to the ground what looked to be 4" diameter willows
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Many years ago in Banff, a Japanese Tourist got a little too close to one of the town's bull elk while getting that perfect shot. Shortly after, the bull was gamboling around town with a dead Japanese tourist in his rack, camera dangling.
    Anybody get a picture?

Fernie use to have a moose that would bed down not far from a chair lift... it just kicked it there, not paying anyone any mind. this was in the 90's though.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Dude is vegan. Just saying.
    I wasn't too worried about his bite

Saw lots around Bozeman, bear canyon, goose creek, and in ennis.

In the early 90s we were having coffee at the Vuarnet/Shades before the lifts opened. As the tram came down, it scared a moose below and the moose came charging over the bridge into that little disk in front of the Alpenhof/Tram bldg/Shades,/Gros Ventre buildings. We drew back close to the café door on the deck while the thing wheeled around that perimeter looking for an out. There was some wild weird in it's eye way too close for my comfort. It got tired and started staggering around just as the tram started back up which fortunately chased the thing back up over the bridge.

I spilled some coffee that morning.

I have also stood, raving mad, within 20 feet of a 200 lb cougar with a 4' section of 2x4 in hand.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    which scares ya most moose, bear or toss up?
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    mountain lion
    Bronies.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    In the early 90s we were having coffee at the Vuarnet/Shades before the lifts opened. As the tram came down, it scared a moose below and the moose came charging over the bridge into that little disk in front of the Alpenhof/Tram bldg/Shades,/Gros Ventre buildings. We drew back close to the café door on the deck while the thing wheeled around that perimeter looking for an out. There was some wild weird in it's eye way too close for my comfort. It got tired and started staggering around just as the tram started back up which fortunately chased the thing back up over the bridge...
    Which ski area is that?

I think a bear might think twice whereas a moose is just gona charge

Living in the narth if I see a wild animal I think "ya I hit one of those, ran over one of those almost got killed by one of those" and so I don't feel the need to take bad pictures so I just leave the poor fucking things alone

But them furren tourists in jasper or banff or any national park want to get close as they can, actualy they are more likley to get run over/cause an accident in the traffic jam around a roadside attraction/ animal siteing than getting eaten or charged

Thinking back to when the folks took us to Calgary Stampede and we took a side trip to Wood Buffalo National Park. Friend of Dad's saw a couple of bulls laying down about 50 yards off the road. He grabs camera and started walking towards them. Got about 10 yards away, picked up a tree limb and tossed it at the lounging critters. They all stood up, and dads buddy made it back to his car in about 6 strides. No photo.

I been to the Calgary stampede and I would rather take my chances with a herd of charging buffalo

Another clueless tourist vs Yellowstone wildlife

Always fun to slow down to watch the tourists, within what they seem to think is a safe escape distance to their rented motorhome, snapping pics of the bear grazing just off the pavement. And always one, usually young presumably alpha male, breaking from the pack to get that real close-up. Surprised there aren't more deadly incidents - seems bruin has more patience and regard than I would in its place.

As for adrenaline rating upon chance encounter, for me it's bull moose in early rut, then any female protecting its young that's welterweight class or larger, forcefully relocated griz on its march home, and last is immature black bear a month or 2 after mom kicks em out to have a romp with the boyfriend. Only kitty issues have been feeling the hair raised on the back of my neck in prime terrain but couldn't see the feline devil. Bison are impressive when coming over the roll XC skiing and encountering a small group resting, seeing the steam bursts quicken from their nostrils, but they've never put me up a tree for an afternoon like that fuckin bull moose that figured I was messin with his mojo. 4 times I thought the coast was clear, and 3 times he put me back up that perch. I love my job.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 06-03-2016 at 01:23 AM.

Ya'lls wildlife is a trip. On a big day I'll see a possum. maybe a deer.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Pretty funny...and his costar is HAWT.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Pretty funny...and his costar is HAWT.
    Heh - "With wolves it's a little different. You'll want to be quiet when you stay the fuck away."

I been to the Calgary stampede and I would rather take my chances with a herd of charging buffalo
    How about Frontier Days in Cheyenne with hair down to the middle of my shoulder blades back in the 70's. I got out of town fast as I could.

East Coast PSA: Apparently sealfies are big enough to prompt this warning...

http://www.greateratlantic.fisheries...ith_seals.html
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How about Frontier Days In Cheyenne with hair down to the middle of my shoulder blades back in the 70's. I got out of town fast as I could.
    "I had them all out there steppin' and fetchin'
    Like their heads was on fire and their asses was catchin'
    then I figured I had better go ahead and split before the cops got there"

I remember a NP Ranger telling us the story of a bull moose that charged a Suburban in rut. It broadsided them as they were driving through the park. Totalled a relatively new Suburban, bent the frame - that takes force

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    .. I love my job.
    with an area taking in 1/4 of the province lots of the ologists have had encounters

did you hear about the infamous ologist up here who had to use the bear spray, got it on his hands, then he was taking a piss so it gets on his pecker so being an ologist he used all that education to use the spagnum moss poltice to relieve pain

Tedski had an epic TR about some deer he saw in Colorado.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I remember a NP Ranger telling us the story of a bull moose that charged a Suburban in rut. It broadsided them as they were driving through the park. Totalled a relatively new Suburban, bent the frame - that takes force
    Stay away from Suburbans in rut. Everyone knows that.

bear spray in GNP is hilarious as long as it happens to someone else. Tourists "accidentally" spray it in gift shops, restaurants, traffic stops, ticket windows...

Another clueless tourist vs Yellowstone wildlife

with an area taking in 1/4 of the province lots of the ologists have had encounters

did you hear about the infamous ologist up here who had to use the bear spray, got it on his hands, then he was taking a piss so it gets on his pecker so being an ologist he used all that education to use the spagnum moss poltice to relieve pain
    I haven't heard that tail, heh. But short term discomfort might have been worth the retirement shame of that story.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    bear spray in GNP is hilarious as long as it happens to someone else. Tourists "accidentally" spray it in gift shops, restaurants, traffic stops, ticket windows...
    Yep, hate the stuff. Certainly has its place for some users, but after suffering its effects from several dumbfucks (and never in my experience actualIy employed for its intended purpose) discourage its use on my field tours. I'm a big guy, currently with a KBD, and project a certain calm yet stern demeanour - stressful encounters are few and far between given the exposure risk. Let the newbies/tourists be protected by their skunk totem, but away from me.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 06-03-2016 at 09:07 PM.