Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Well fine; There's nothing more tedious than a blase bear.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One of the popular designs for bear boxes around here is a push up latch inside a metal surround. I guess the idea is that surround is too narrow for a paw but not for a human hand, although it seems like a bear could open it if they* had a mind to. So either black bears aren't as smart as griz, or there are too many easier food sources to bother.

*I wasn't sure what pronouns bears use.
    There is a razor thin margin between the smartest bear and the dumbest human.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    There is a razor thin margin between the smartest bear and the dumbest human.
    I’d say more like overlap.

Or a Venn diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One of the popular designs for bear boxes around here is a push up latch inside a metal surround. I guess the idea is that surround is too narrow for a paw but not for a human hand, although it seems like a bear could open it if they* had a mind to. So either black bears aren't as smart as griz, or there are too many easier food sources to bother.

*I wasn't sure what pronouns bears use.
    When I was living in Red Lodge, they upgraded all of the residential trash hoppers to a more bear-resistant design. The downside was that they were also more human-resistant, particularly if you didn't know how they worked (I felt like an idiot after watching the YouTube video, but it did make things a lot easier). So since tourists can't be bothered to read directions, let alone watch YouTube videos, we ended up with trash not always ending up inside the receptacles.

As far as pronouns, if I'm close enough to find out, I'll defer to whatever the bear prefers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    When I was living in Red Lodge, they upgraded all of the residential trash hoppers to a more bear-resistant design. The downside was that they were also more human-resistant, particularly if you didn't know how they worked (I felt like an idiot after watching the YouTube video, but it did make things a lot easier). So since tourists can't be bothered to read directions, let alone watch YouTube videos, we ended up with trash not always ending up inside the receptacles.

As far as pronouns, if I'm close enough to find out, I'll defer to whatever the bear prefers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I know "it" is offensive.

Name:  tas210619.gif
Views: 1507
Size:  67.2 KB

https://www.kulr8.com/bozeman/camper...69bab0731.html

This Boo boo wasn't so blase.

MYSTIC LAKE, Mont. - A camper was reportedly bitten by a bear at Mystic Lake Saturday.

Gallatin County Sheriff Search and Rescue says Gallatin County Dispatched received a call of the incident.

The patient was too injured to make the trip down, but found a nearby runner who was able to call 9-1-1 once in cellular service.

Gallatin County Sheriff Search and Rescue volunteers, Deputies, Paramedics, and LifeFlight Network personnel responded to the area and searched the service road leading to the road.

LifeFlight searched from the air and located the patient close to Mystic Lake.

The patient was treated on-site then airlifted to Bozeman Deaconess Hospital.

“Sheriff Springer would like to remind recreational enthusiasts to always be aware of their surroundings,” Gallatin County Sheriff Search and Rescue said. “There have been several bear sightings in and around Gallatin County. If you are camping, make sure your food is locked away, or in a container which cannot be opened by wildlife.”
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Well, that really bites.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Name:  tas210619.gif
Views: 1507
Size:  67.2 KB
    I think I found the inspiration for this cartoon. Even dressed the same...

I didn't realize grizzlies were in GTNP.

Grizzlies actually range down to about 100 miles south of Jackson, and to the big Holes to the West of Driggs. They have been remarkably successful in the last 20 years. They are my biggest cycling fear on the trails, tbh.

When a hulking grizzly bear and her two cubs wandered into a clearing near a parking lot at Yellowstone National Park on May 10, a woman pulled out her phone to snap photos.
    As she came within three yards of the trio — with just a thigh-high stone barrier between them — the mother bear suddenly charged, a video of the incident captured by another park visitor showed. People behind the woman gasped as she slipped her phone into her sweatshirt pocket and quickly walked away.
    The mother bear stopped after a few steps as her cubs scuttled off toward the nearby tree line. The bear turned and retreated with her offspring.
    Yellowstone National Park officials on Wednesday charged the woman, who is from Carol Stream, Ill., with feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentional disturbing wildlife — a federal violation of park policy barring visitors from getting within 100 yards of a bear. She is set to appear for a hearing at the Yellowstone Justice Center in Wyoming on Aug. 26, according to a citation filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming.
    Grizzly bears have rarely attacked people inside or near Yellowstone National Park, where more than 700 of the animals live. Since Yellowstone opened in 1872, eight people have been killed by bears inside the park, according to the National Park Service. Officials say an average of one nonfatal bear attack happens there each year.
    [Grizzly bear kills bicyclist in Montana after pulling her from tent]
    Witnesses who saw the woman approach the mother bear and her cubs in May warned her to get back inside her car, the Billings Gazette reported. Investigators found that she had posted photos of the bears on her Facebook page with the caption “absolutely floored by the beauty of this place,” the newspaper reported.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...y-bear-charge/

Well, if she was floored, all is forgiven.

Dang. She could still procreate.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Looks to me like the mama grizzly didn't want to take on a human that large.

Does the Federal Government hand out community service?
    Because that idiot needs to do a lot of it.
    Or maybe just have to stand at the W Yellowstone entrance with a sign that says "don't approach the wildlife. This is not a petting zoo" for, like, the rest of August.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Another clueless tourist vs Yellowstone wildlife

I was in YS back in 1991 in early Sept and there wasn’t another soul to be found during rut.

I blame boomers.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...klyBqhuMMkIVmk

Christ, only a few tourons scurried away, and a few more started getting closer. Humans need more culling.

The un-represented wildlife in that story, Benny, gonna bitch slap ya.

Boris is just rage-posting about…anything.
    This one had no Yellowstone, no wildlife…WTF?

However, this guy, I bet he is a little WILD

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...f9e568547.html

Another clueless tourist vs Yellowstone wildlife

Can a black hole collapse on itself?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Boris is just rage-posting about…anything.
    This one had no Yellowstone, no wildlife…WTF?

However, this guy, I bet he is a little WILD

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...f9e568547.html
    I was expecting a Sonata, but he was driving a Dodge.