Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Chapel Hill, NC?

I posted a thread a while ago about Aiken, SC... That conversation is going again, but I'm refusing to go to Aiken. Asheville looks attractive, but seems unsustainable. What about Chapel Hill? Seems like a nice place. Just spent some time there with friends and it seemed pretty doable. Friends have been there for a decade and say they really like it. Anyone ever lived there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

What makes Chapel Hill sustainable and Asheville not so? Work?

How about Greenville, SC?

aiken?
    asheville?
    chapel hill?
    all very different places from each other...

motivation for a carolina move?
    that would help on picking a place.
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

(Snicker)

Spent nearly a decade there but haven't been back in as long. Loved my time there.

If I went back to NC it would be Asheville/Brevard. I used to ride Pisgah a bunch before it got widely popular. Probably not as much fun now.

From where? Big upgrade from some places, not worth it from others. Good if you like road biking, bad if you like skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreaux View Post
    Good if you like road biking
    The Troof. it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreaux View Post
    From where? Big upgrade from some places, not worth it from others. Good if you like road biking, bad if you like skiing.
    Not an upgrade... Just trying to find something reasonably enjoyable to save the 100+ trips I'd have to take as my dad ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    What makes Chapel Hill sustainable and Asheville not so? Work?
    My wife has expressed an interest in going back to work. Asheville seems pretty professionally limited. I don't personally care. I'm search for a house on a golf course.
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    How about Greenville, SC?
    I'll look into it, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
    aiken?
    asheville?
    chapel hill?
    all very different places from each other...

motivation for a carolina move?
    that would help on picking a place.
    They are... We're actually extremely happy where we are (north/central CO) and moved here after a long consideration of our options. This is based more on necessity than personal preference, and those are the areas that seem to rise to the top of the list. Aiken would be the most convenient, Asheville would probably be the most enjoyable from a recreational/climate perspective, and I get the sense that CH would be the most adaptable to a multitude of interests.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    (Snicker)
    Touche Benny. You can take heart in knowing that even your dying relatives wouldn't want you around.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    I posted a thread a while ago about Aiken, SC... That conversation is going again, but I'm refusing to go to Aiken. Asheville looks attractive, but seems unsustainable. What about Chapel Hill? Seems like a nice place. Just spent some time there with friends and it seemed pretty doable. Friends have been there for a decade and say they really like it. Anyone ever lived there?
    I live in a small similar town outside Charlotte for the past 20 years. Wife went to school in Chapel Hill. Why the motivation to move?
    Before Benny chimes in, let me give him a preemptive STFU. Your version of NC is some old episodes of Andy Griffith Show or your Dad's draft experience at Ft. Bragg during the Korean War. I live here by choice. I makes lots of $$ and so do my neighbors. Even better I get to keep most of it. In fact, I would argue the median income of Chapel Hill and my town in particular is higher or close to higher then 98% of whatever metro north shithole Benny lives in. Chapel Hill family median income is over 110k my town is over 130k. Sometime visitors are shocked housing is not as cheap as they were told in mythical train car converstaion in NY about how homes in NC are 50k. The reality is housing is going up as wages go up. Property taxes are still reasonable. I pay about $5500 a year on a house assessed at around $800,000 Tax rates are about .51-.8 depending on municipalities.
    Now that my anti Benny rant is over, I would say unless you are leaving a 7 figure job in the bay area, nearly any place you are leaving career wise, you will enjoy Chapel Hill. Flights out west are cheap don't bother trying to ski locally. Wages are high and getting higher, state income tax is a flat 5.5% so not too bad and despite the national media's portrayal of NC especially currently, you will find all the modern trappings of the civilized world. Traffic can be bad in the area but mitigated with careful selection of housing.
    Chapel Hill is definately a mixed bag of politics and ethnicities, i.e diverse.
    Once again before Benny chimes in, yes there are bigoted rednecks in surrounding counties, but they live just north of him in Duchess, Ulster, Sullivan county in NY as well. Rednecks are everywhere my man.

Asheville is great espeically if you're an artist, brewer, or general free spirit. My relatives that were born, raised, and returned there to live out their days say it is limited in terms of jobs you can do unless you're a small business entrepreneur or in the classes mentioned above. Fantastic area though.

Lots of deals to be found in golf course communities that surround greater Asheville that went under during the crash. They were trying to build them so quickly and they all seemed to fail overnight.
    I still call it The Jake.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Chapel Hill, NC?

Not sure where your family is, as these cities are not close to one another at all. If family is a primary motivator for the move , there a particular reason your not considering within 30 minutes or so of them? If there in Aiken, and you went to Chapel Hill, that's a big haul

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Not sure where your family is, as these cities are not close to one another at all. If family is a primary motivator for the move , there a particular reason your not considering within 30 minutes or so of them? If there in Aiken, and you went to Chapel Hill, that's a big haul
    I agree. For the same reasons if time is really a concern you should also consider Atlanta and Charlotte.

Furthermore, if living on a golf course and proximity to Aiken are two top drivers you can't beat Reynolds Plantation and the Lake Oconee, GA.

If you make a triangle of Asheville, Aiken and Chapel Hill, Charlotte is almost dead center in the triangle. Supposed to be a pretty up-and-coming place, Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If you make a triangle of Asheville, Aiken and Chapel Hill, Charlotte is almost dead center in the triangle. Supposed to be a pretty up-and-coming place, Charlotte.
    Charlotte is fantastic, it's like a smaller, slightly newer Atlanta. Even better is Lake Norman just north of town. Even better still if you have a sweet gig with BoA.

Hahaha.

Carolina may not be all that, but at least it's not fucking Connecticut.

That it isn't sir, that it isnt. Snicker.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Born and raised in CH, moved away for awhile, and now back in the area.

My wife has expressed an interest in going back to work. Asheville seems pretty professionally limited. I don't personally care. I'm search for a house on a golf course.
    My impression of Asheville's job market is it's based nearly entirely around the service industry. If that's not your thing, jobs are tough, plus.....tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I live in a small similar town outside Charlotte for the past 20 years. Wife went to school in Chapel Hill. Why the motivation to move?
    Before Benny chimes in, let me give him a preemptive STFU. Your version of NC is some old episodes of Andy Griffith Show or your Dad's draft experience at Ft. Bragg during the Korean War. I live here by choice. I makes lots of $$ and so do my neighbors. Even better I get to keep most of it. In fact, I would argue the median income of Chapel Hill and my town in particular is higher or close to higher then 98% of whatever metro north shithole Benny lives in. Chapel Hill family median income is over 110k my town is over 130k. Sometime visitors are shocked housing is not as cheap as they were told in mythical train car converstaion in NY about how homes in NC are 50k. The reality is housing is going up as wages go up. Property taxes are still reasonable. I pay about $5500 a year on a house assessed at around $800,000 Tax rates are about .51-.8 depending on municipalities.
    Now that my anti Benny rant is over, I would say unless you are leaving a 7 figure job in the bay area, nearly any place you are leaving career wise, you will enjoy Chapel Hill. Flights out west are cheap don't bother trying to ski locally. Wages are high and getting higher, state income tax is a flat 5.5% so not too bad and despite the national media's portrayal of NC especially currently, you will find all the modern trappings of the civilized world. Traffic can be bad in the area but mitigated with careful selection of housing.
    Chapel Hill is definately a mixed bag of politics and ethnicities, i.e diverse.
    Once again before Benny chimes in, yes there are bigoted rednecks in surrounding counties, but they live just north of him in Duchess, Ulster, Sullivan county in NY as well. Rednecks are everywhere my man.
    Housing definitely isn't cheap in CH, and the taxes are some of the most expensive in the area, but the schools are very high quality.
    Airport access is absurdly easy, but you'll generally have a layover to most non-hubs.
    I'm in Durham, and personally wouldn't move back to CH without a family. They're starting to develop the downtown/Franklin St area by building mid-rise condos with 1st floor retail filled with "fancy" chain restaurants. Some of the new places are great, but for the most part, it's giving the area a very white washed feel.
    The whole area is great, with all the universities, hospitals, pharma, and tech, there has been a large influx of people from all over all looking for something different. Makes it easy to find pretty much anything you would want food or activity wise.
    I don't see myself living anywhere else without a fairly big life event happening.
    ncskier is definitely overstating the mixed bag of politics in CH though.

I love the Highlands area.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD View Post
    I'm in Durham, and personally wouldn't move back to CH without a family. They're starting to develop the downtown/Franklin St area by building mid-rise condos with 1st floor retail filled with "fancy" chain restaurants. Some of the new places are great, but for the most part, it's giving the area a very white washed feel...
    Dude - CH and Durham are 14 miles apart...?

Atlanta is pretty nice and if it had mountains or winter I'd consider living there but it's a haul from NC. I've heard CH is quaint and cute, Asheville is like the most vegetarian city in the country or something? Supposed to be pretty hip.

I'm search for a house on a golf course.
    This has serious comedy potential. An anti-social guy with anger issues, who lives high up on a mountain in Colorado, moves onto a golf course in the South. Hilarity ensues.

You should pitch this sitcom.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy