Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    What works for me is calorie counting and exercise.

- If I limit myself to 1700 calories a day. I drop weight. (Net including exercise).
    - It’s easier stay at that 1700 number if I am eating things with less calorie density; salads, fruit, lean meat.
    - I can budget the calorie intake for a beer or ice cream and feel good.

I’ve never been successful on a prescriptive diet; low-carb, high-fat, keto, whole-30, etc… I have no self control. If I’m told I can eat something, I’ll eat all of it….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Keep the chicken dry and bland if you’re trying to loose weight. Same for your rice and oatmeal. This helps you stay in a caloric deficit by making overeating less fun. Sticking to foods like lean protein, oatmeal, rice and greens will also help fill your stomach relative to the number of calories.

No foods are inherently ‘bad’ or ‘clean.’ If you’re getting the nutrients (another word we just like to throw around) and in your caloric range you are good. Egg yolks have a lot of fat calories in them so a great thing to cut out if you’re trying to drop calories but still feel somewhat saited.

I have a friend who needs to supplement her diet with donuts. She is also a pro triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Most stores get cheaper birds from their supplier that are too small to be sold otherwise…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ok, I just went to Wegmans down the block and sprung the 9.99 for their "organic" roasted bird. It's really big and really good. My guess is the raw bird would be in the high teens. This one is cooked. No muss, no fuss, about four meals.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Bumping this good thread as ski season approaches.

A couple of nutrition questions:
    -how do you all make chicken taste good so you can eat lots when trying to eat clean? I am so fucking sick of it.
    -what do you eat/prep for breakfast on a ski day when you’re rushing out the door?
    Re breakfasts, I make a pile of french toast on Sunday morning and put it in the fridge. I pull out 3 or 4 pieces every morning, microwave, smear some peanut butter on there, add a little real maple syrup. I do it often for early work days, but it's a good quick breakfast for early ski days too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Re breakfasts, I make a pile of french toast on Sunday morning and put it in the fridge. I pull out 3 or 4 pieces every morning, microwave, smear some peanut butter on there, add a little real maple syrup. I do it often for early work days, but it's a good quick breakfast for early ski days too.

For a ski day, that sounds good.

For non-ski days (or days without big exertion), what snacks do you eat?

i blend a big batch of smoothies twice/week which gets me six, 28 oz breakfasts. banana, avacado, spinach, protein powder, froz berries and maybe some almond butter or greek yogurt. on bigger days, i'll try and have some toast w peanut/almond butter as well or another banana.

You trying to keep weight down? Have a premade salad with vinagrete dressing, or a couple pieces of jerky. Or, this might be mindblowing, don't snack and instead deal with a small amount of hunger to achieve your fitness/physique goals. think of it as training a small amount of mental toughness... you dont have to be comfortable all the time if you are working towards a goal....

If you dont care about calories, or are trying to keep or gain weight i am a big fan of salted mixed nuts with a piece of fruit (my afternoon go-to snack), or for mid-morning i go with thawed frozen fruit, fullfat greek yogurt and granola. Both very calorie dense snacks.

Also, @criscam, i am big on the smoothie train as well. I have had a frozen berry/tropical fruit smoothie with 1-2 scoops of whey protein and whole milk nearly everyday for the past 8 years for breakfast. On days where im biking/skiing/etc i add in a normal breakfast of bacon/eggs/toast and drink the smoothie in the car. Its a great, easy way to get quality calories in and a few servings of fruit/veggies, plus you are starting to hydrate. Many times i only get through half the smoothie in the car and then i have a great post-ride/ski recovery drink ready to go back at the car.

Supplements i take everyday are Vitamin D (being a corporate stooge in the PNW means its neccessary), fish oil, and a multi. Every, single, day. In doses large enough to be efficacious (not neccesarily the serving size on the bottle).

Full disclosure, my metabolism is uh, very active and I am usually eating to try to keep weight on.

I usually snack on apples, bananas, black coffee, granola/yogurt, sometimes fig bars. Oh a few Oreos here and there. I don't think I'd specifically recommend my eating habits to anyone, but wanted to share the french toast idea because it's an easy meal to prep, plus easy to get in to your body quickly, and calorie dense for early mornings when you don't want to need lunch at 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Full disclosure, my metabolism is uh, very active and I am usually eating to try to keep weight on.

I usually snack on apples, bananas, black coffee, granola/yogurt, sometimes fig bars. Oh a few Oreos here and there. I don't think I'd specifically recommend my eating habits to anyone, but wanted to share the french toast idea because it's an easy meal to prep, plus easy to get in to your body quickly, and calorie dense for early mornings when you don't want to need lunch at 10am.

Funny thing is, 5/6 things you mentioned as snacks are pretty objectively healthy, and you've likely been eating like that all your life along with being pretty damn active. Weird how people with supposedly "super fast" metabolisms actually eat pretty damn healthy and are usually very active, while people with "super slow" metabolisms tend to eat like shit and partake in more leisure activities. Metabolism and genetics play a big part, sure, but its not the boogeyman that the current trend of #BodyPositivity wants to make it out to be.

Kinda like my family member who complains about her figure and bad genetics and super slow metabolism. But works out or exercises about 1/3 the amount i do, and when we go out to a restaurant will order pasta with cream sauce while i order the fish special and roasted veggies. It drives her father insane to see the contradictory actions and words.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

Supplements i take everyday are Vitamin D (being a corporate stooge in the PNW means its neccessary), fish oil, and a multi. Every, single, day. In doses large enough to be efficacious (not neccesarily the serving size on the bottle).
    I think I'm finally to the point where I need to supplement with Vitamin D. Seven years back in the PNWet and the weather this time of year gets to me. Which Vitamin D supplement do you like and in what quantities?

You want D3 specifically, 2,000-4,000 IUs per day. Get a source that is USP and/or NSF certified. If you shop Costco the Kirkland brand is cheap and well-reviewed: https://labdoor.com/review/kirkland-...gth-vitamin-d3

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I think I'm finally to the point where I need to supplement with Vitamin D. Seven years back in the PNWet and the weather this time of year gets to me. Which Vitamin D supplement do you like and in what quantities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You want D3 specifically, 2,000-4,000 IUs per day. Get a source that is USP and/or NSF certified. If you shop Costco the Kirkland brand is cheap and well-reviewed: https://labdoor.com/review/kirkland-...gth-vitamin-d3
    I use Naturewise (5,000 IU) and it definitely works (according to blood tests).

It might actually work too well: this summer I realized/hypothesized I was getting too much *calcium*. I stopped the D3 (for several days), and the symptoms went away. My takeaway: 5k IU is waaay over rda. I cut back to once weekly and that's working well. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yep, Kirkland brand or NOW brand is pretty good- i flipflop between those two brands (i try and flipflop all supplements as a hedge against chronic intake of some weird additive/toxin/metal). I consistently take 4000IUs per day, but folks take up to 10,000IU. Vit D builds up in your system over time so taking a higher dosage for a week or two to start and then settling back to a maintenance dosage is not a bad idea.

A lot depends on how you genetically process sunlight, vitamin D supplements, what you take it with, when you are taking it, etc. I can get my fill of vitamin D quickly from sun because im a ginger while someone with more melanin (skin pigment) tends to not absorb D nearly as well from sunlight. Its not a miracle drug though, just meant to keep you healthy as vitamin D defficiency is common and affects a ton of biological processes. It might help reduce SAD symptoms, but dont expect Rx drug effects.

Money! Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

I don't expect Vitamin D to be a cure-all, but if it can take the edge off SAD, combined with a better diet, exercise, and engaging in activities that occupy my mind, would help. I found myself exercising less when the gray descends, so I would work more, eat poorly, then move to the couch with a drink.

This year, I've taken more outings with the pup, and spent time in the garage, fiddling with skis motorcycles. It seems to help.
    Last edited by Bobcat Sig; 10-27-2021 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wurdz is hard

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Its not a miracle drug though, just meant to keep you healthy as vitamin D defficiency is common and affects a ton of biological processes.
    It's really a hormone and not a vitamin. My Dad's girlfriend is a primary care doc and randomly screens patient Vit D levels. Severe deficiency is shockingly common, and mild to moderate deficiency is the norm. This has been confirmed by multiple clinical studies in the US and abroad that have been published in peer-reviewed journals. One study found deficiency rates of 70-80% in US Hispanics and blacks (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21310306/), which is just insane.

Vitamin D supplementation has not been shown in any rigorous, placebo controlled trials to accomplish anything (there was one trial that showed a lower fall rate in old people, but all the other rigorous trials have been nothinburgers).

Low vitamin D levels are *associated* with lots of diseases and mortality but a) whether those are correlation or causation is widely debated and far from settled and b) supplementing with vitamin D seems to do nothing to attenuate these effects.

That said, if it makes you feel better, go for it since it's probably not going to hurt unless you're taking crazy high doses of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Money! Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

I don't expect Vitamin D to be a cure-all, but if it can take the edge off SAD, combined with a better diet, exercise, and engaging in activities that occupy my mind, would help. I found myself exercising less when the gray descends, so I would work more, eat poorly, then move to the couch with a drink.

This year, I've taken more outings with the pup, and spent time in the garage, fiddling with skis motorcycles. It seems to help.
    Get yourself a full spectrum light box as well. Ten min per day in front of it during winter made a big difference in mood when I lived in PDX.

And not expensive
    https://www.amazon.com/Verilux-Happy...34652315&psc=1

For you guys looking at supplements - I learned this a few years ago when trying to figure out what supplements I needed: To get the best quality supplements go to your doctor and get a comprehensive set of labs done (you can request a lot more than the basic labs done in yearly bloodwork). It'll probably cost $150 or so on top of what your insurance covers. Once you've got the full picture ask your doc to prescribe you whatever you need from a compounding pharmacy (not CVS/Walgreens). You'll be able to get effective, medical grade supplements that are compounded for you specifically - and mostly covered by insurance.

Or you could just eat right?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Get yourself a full spectrum light box as well. Ten min per day in front of it during winter made a big difference in mood when I lived in PDX.

And not expensive
    https://www.amazon.com/Verilux-Happy...34652315&psc=1
    Good suggestion. My sister has been suggesting one for a few years now. I'll give it a look. Thank you.

Bumping this good thread as ski season approaches.

A couple of nutrition questions:
    -how do you all make chicken taste good so you can eat lots when trying to eat clean? I am so fucking sick of it.
    -what do you eat/prep for breakfast on a ski day when you’re rushing out the door?
    Lemon based sauce. Look up chicken + lemon recipes. Excellent.

I eat a protein bar if I'm out of time. If not, couple fo eggs and a piece of toast or a small amount of granola cereal. If it's a big, hard day I'll double that.

I don't eat snacks and I only drink water or beer/wine/alcohol. Started that many years ago. Made a huge difference. The only "smacks" I eat are supplemental meals around really hard exercise. or fuel during exercise if absolutely needed. Rarely needed.

YMMV

Gal at work looks at me, (I’ve known her now a month), and says “How do you stay so skinny?” I said, “Well I work out every day.” The look on her face while her jaw dropped was priceless.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I only drink water or beer/wine/alcohol.
    This is a big one i always forget b/c it's just how i was raised. We literally didnt have anything to drink except beer and milk and tap water. And when I became an adult i still only drink water, and rarely milk (usually in a smoothie or shake). Ill have a beer or two a week. But i never drink soda or flavored drinks. the exception is during workouts i drink diluted Tang because i need the fast acting carbs to keep energy levels up.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    yeah, the "you are so lucky! you must have a fast metabolism!" comments are inane... "not really I just get 8-12 hrs of cardio a week and don't eat fast food or drink sodas". this isn't rocket science.

Let’s talk water: do you drink half your body weight in water everyday? And add more when doing a day of skiing or biking? And add more if you’re at altitude? And how do you not pee it all out quickly? Add a electrolyte tablet?