Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

How to get in good physical shape?

So my workout routine used to be wake up, do a bong hit, eat a snickers, slam a mountain dew and go skiing, repeat for a 100 days. In the summer replace skiing with rafting/kayaking. Worked great in my 20's and 30's. Now I'm 47, wife and two kids and I have to pee in a cup(highly ironic that Colo. would legalize and I end up in a job with random drug testing). As you can imagine my 100 days a year has been drastically reduced. In order to maximize my days I need to get in great shape. I'm 5'9ish/170 lbs with a small beer gut. Don't give a damn how I look I just want to be great shape to ski/kayak/raft/bike and hunt. So much crap on the internet. Anyone got any good suggestions for a simple and effective program I can do at home(yes I've seen the Wim post). Cardio seems to have really gone done and kinda seems to be the most important. Thanks for helping a geezer out!

Run, at an easy pace, as many miles as you can fit in to each week. And lift weights, a basic beginner powerlifting program focusing on compound lifts, something like Starting Strength or 5x5. Be consistent with each and you'll be in shape before you know it.

Ignore the forthcoming comments suggesting HIIT. And lose a few pounds.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Hard to beat running for cardio. Run slow for an hour at a time 3 days a week, don't worry about your distance. Supplement with hiking/whatever else you can (climbing gym is nice if there's one close by) but running you can do basically anytime you have a free hour. Don't overdo it at first.

Just take cold showers, it's all the fitness rage.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I was exactly where you are 10 yrs ago, About 50, 175lb, 5'8"

Do most of your work out in the kitchen & lose 10 or 115 lb, ski touring, biking, paddling are all good, if you lose that weight... you will be in shape

50 is kind of the last chance you get to lose weight & get in shape
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Furious masturbation.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My ski/paddle/beer drinking buddy the MD said " ya man i could see you were overweight, lose 10 lbs and all yer numbers would fall in line!"

I was type 2 diabetic, went to 24 on the BMI, a1c went down, good cholesterol went up bad cholesterol went down ... doc loves me

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Just take cold showers, it's all the fitness rage.
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Furious masturbation.
    Together. At the same time.

But on a serious note-- what do you eat?

I am by no means the best example of true "fitness" (damn cigarettes) but I turned my 45 minute Sportscenter morning routine into 45 minute Sportscenter routines on an exercise bike. Got the bike for free.

In 8 months I lost 18 pounds, two inches of waist size, and cut 10 minutes of my Glory boot pack time. I still got a little beer weight on me, but everything in moderation.

Doc said blood pressure was looking good, handshakes all around at my last physical. Previous year I got the eat right, take care of yourself talk so it must be working.
    Live Free or Die

At 58 I can't say I am in great shape, but I just skinned and skied Shasta. Do what you enjoy and don't stress over being in shape. Run if you like running, cycle if you like cycling, masterbate if you enjoy masterbating, but just do something regularly and at a decent intensity. As you get older there will always be some young punk who skins faster, skies harder, hucks higher, etc. Fuck'em, just enjoy doing what you do.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Some kind of cardio and what works for me is doing Olympic lifts a few times a week: squat, dead lift and cleans. It's very efficient. Take a lot of rest between sets and do some lite stuff in between for shoulders. 30 minutes and done.

Running is the best but it also may not be the best for your body at this point if you have never been a runner. Have someone check your biomechanics to see if you are likely to over stress your joints. Running is not right for a lot of people. Otherwise utilize I different cardiovascular routine with less room for error like cycling or stairmaster.

Well, and error in cycling could leave you dead, while an error in running might give you shin splints.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    Don't give a damn how I look
    Your wife might.
    Lift weights
    Run a little
    get your diet together.
    your body will look pretty good.

At home:
    Interval running once a week, distance run once a week, long SLOW run once a week. Walk/bike 30-60 min the other 4. walking with a weight vest will help strengthen your core too. Do some weighted lunges and squats on days you run.
    Do several sets of push ups, pull ups and plank variations to failure three times a week.
    pretty easy.
    Last edited by XavierD; 05-31-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Last week I met a guy from Vermont sitting round the pool, buddy is telling me he skis 140 days a season, is packing an extra 30-50 lbs and is sporting the wattles

I explained to gf that 140 is a lot of ski days and near impossible for a guy looking like that packing that much weight sitting around a pool in bali to begin with

And the way y to get in shape ... is to get in shape

It's easy--divorce the wife, give her full custody, get a bartending job at a resort, and ski.

If you're motivated and can see yourself sticking to one of these routines long term just by virtue of willpower, then that's perfect.

If you're the type who needs external motivation and a well-defined plan provided for you (and there's nothing wrong with that), the your best bet is to get the P90x or Intensity videos and do the workouts at home. You'll hurt, but it will work. And after you complete 2 cycles of P90x (90 days each) you'll be shredded. Guaranteed.

get a divorce and a gym membership! not that hard to figure out

(1.5-.20 hours at the gym: 30 mins ellipticycle, 15 min sta bike, 130 crunches/stretching, weight/weight machine upper & lower body 3 sets of 30 as much as you can do) x (3-4 days a week in the summer).
    My motivation is keeping out of deaths reach just a little longer for a few more days in search of the perfect turn.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Depends on how much you want to do. Eating right*, lifting 2x/week, and daily cardio is a simple enough concept—it's doing it consistently that's hard. For cardio, I personally like walking uphill. Seems more applicable to skinning/hiking and is a bit easier on the joints than running on flat ground. But maybe that's cuz it's flat where I currently live, but I have access to treadmill with an incline feature.

The best resource (IMO) for formulating a true training plan is this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Training-New-...e+new+alpinism

with some skiing specific exercises from here:
    http://strongswiftdurable.com/shop/b...ining-program/
    http://strongswiftdurable.com/shop/d...ining-program/

*Don't go down the rabbit-hole researching diets. Paleo, vegan/raw, and everything in between...everybody thinks they're right. Just start by eliminating junk food and eating more fresh food. If it's healthy food, I've never found a real need to count calories. I like the idea of 1 "cheat day" per week where you eat wherever you want. My wife likes the concept of "replacement" versus "elimination," but sometimes I've found that straight up eliminating unhealthy foods (e.g., dessert) works better for me than trying to find a healthy replacement. YMMV. Also: there are plenty of very fit people with terrible diets and unfit people with excellent diets. Don't ever let diet get in the way of exercise. Eat enough to have energy to put in the required work in the gym.

Edit: the biggest advice I can give is don't jump in to training too fast. Start slow and work up to it, or you'll end up hurt and right back to square one in 6 mo.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 06-01-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    it's doing it consistently that's hard
    This. There's lots of ways to skin a cat, but none of them work if you don't do them consistently. The best exercise program is the one you will actually do for the rest of your life. Also, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to simply reduce the amount of time you spend sitting and/or completely sedentary.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Just start by eliminating junk food and eating more fresh food.
    This too. You can sum up healthy eating in one sentence: Eat nutrient-dense whole foods in moderate proportions.

Losing weight is 90% diet. If you want to break it down a bit further:

-Eat 0.5-1.0 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (or your goal weight, if overweight).
    -Eat lots of vegetables, some fruit.
    -Get fats from whole food sources (meat, eggs, nuts, avocados, full-fat dairy)
    -Avoid vegetable oils (soy, corn, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed, peanut) as much as possible. The only acceptable oils are olive, coconut (avocado too, but it has the same fatty acid profile as olive oil and is much more expensive) and butter (preferably grass fed, Kerry Gold is cheap at Costco) and they should be used in moderation.
    -Eat carbs in proportion to activity level, and get them from whole food sources. Preferably tubers.
    -When possible, eat carbs that have been cooked, cooled and reheated (google: resistant starch).
    -Drink a tablespoon of vinegar every day
    -Take a vitamin D supplement
    -Fast occasionally
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-02-2016 at 08:30 AM.

You live in Colorado, don't you have a mountain nearby you can hike up and down five days a week? That's what I do. 1200 feet elevation gain, 3 miles round trip. It's totally enjoyable and keeps me in shape. Easier on the joints than running too.

Only thing I'd add is that if you have trouble getting motivated, sign up for a race. Something about that always gets me out of bed when if I don't have a big objective, other than staying fit, I get lazy. Start with a 5k trail run, mtb race, sprint tri or something small if it's your first one, then go bigger if you like it. Otherwise nothing to add to what everyone else said.