Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26

Thread: How to get in good physical shape?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    My understanding is you need to keep the effort at ~60% of vo2 max to burn fat. So if you want to maintain a high effort, you gotta keep the carbs flowing.
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

I don't think that's right. There was a very interesting study a few (couple?) decades ago in the Soviet Union (when they were testing just about anything on their Olympic athletes) and they were able to get the same results with a carb loaded group as a fat loaded group.

At this point in my life I no longer needs carbs for long efforts, or for hard efforts. Maybe my metabolism changed, but I kind of think I've retrained my body to not need the carbs that were constantly fed to young athletes back in the day and upon which we became reliant.

How to get in good physical shape?

I like to graze all day, eating three meals at set times seems wrong. I’ll eat chips and salsa at 10:00 in the morning, a hard boiled egg and pickles at 2:00, a cup of rice with some maple syrup a couple of hours before a ride etc…
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    a cup of rice with some maple syrup a couple of hours before a ride etc…
    Without some fat or protein to slow that down i would vomit from too much sugar and then start shaking with cold sweats 5 minutes later from the low blood sugar. What works as fuel for some, does not at all for others. Key is to find what works for you through trial and error. Sounds like you found what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Stress is extremely toxic. All sorts of gruesome cascading effects from it.

A donut (or cannabutter garlic bread) every now an again when a craving hits is good for you the same way that a shot of tequila or a glass of wine a night is good for you (its the alcohol relaxing you not the minimal amount of antioxidants).

A good healthy day is a day with an elevated heartrate during the day, and then a slow heartrate in the evening and at night- usually denotes an active, exercise rich day followed by a relaxing evening and an athletes low resting heartrate.
    To illustrate how much impact an active lifestyles has:

1 hour jogging burns about 550 calories (estimates vary for all of these.)
    1 hour sitting burns about 100 calories
    1 hour walking burns about 400 calories
    1 hour standing burns about 200 calories
    1 hour housework can burn around 250 calories

SO

Scenario 1: 1 hour vigorous exercise, 1 hour walking, 1 hour standing, 9 hours sitting (office job)
    = 2,050 calories

Scenario 2: no exercise, 3 hours sitting, 1 hours walking, 1 hours standing. 7 hours housework (job on your feet)
    = 2,650

Exercise is no cure all. I deeply believe you need to exercise very, very hard at times ( I believe in high intensity in many ways), but you can't outrun a fork. Or a couch. Gotta be active.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211101-133402_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	391185
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Stress is extremely toxic. All sorts of gruesome cascading effects from it.

A donut (or cannabutter garlic bread) every now an again when a craving hits is good for you the same way that a shot of tequila or a glass of wine a night is good for you (its the alcohol relaxing you not the minimal amount of antioxidants).

A good healthy day is a day with an elevated heartrate during the day, and then a slow heartrate in the evening and at night- usually denotes an active, exercise rich day followed by a relaxing evening and an athletes low resting heartrate.
    I have been pretty in tune with HR training for the last 25 yrs.

Even 2-3 alcoholic beverages in the evening causes my RHR to remain elevated by 5-10 bpm overnight. 6+ drinks and it remains 10-20 bpm elevated, from low 40's to mid-50's-low 60's and sleep is not restorative.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Numbers I’ve seen are 4-7 lbs lost due to metformin

My understanding is you need to keep the effort at ~60% of vo2 max to burn fat. So if you want to maintain a high effort, you gotta keep the carbs flowing.
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

The Diabetes Code. Jason Fung
    Attachment 391183

Note - I don’t do the fasting stuff and I’m not as much of a carb nazi.

Although Fung’s recommendations about fasting kind of dovetail with what Panda sez above…
    I started a low carb high fat diet 4 years ago, which helped me lose weight.

I mountain bike and ski a lot, and i haven't noticed any reduction in performance, even though i eat only 60-80g of carbs a day

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Btw, stress raises the blood sugar significantly, as much as eating a whole bunch of sugar.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I assume seed oils include, or are mainly related to, corn and HFCS?
    Commonly referred to as vegetable oils - canola, soybean, sunflower oils etc. Ultra-processed, high omega-6 content, easily oxidized.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I assume seed oils include, or are mainly related to, corn and HFCS?

I thought the same; skipping breakfast was bad?

Lately, I've taken to portion control and eating according to activity, and generally listening to my body. So when I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Much of that has been skipping breakfast because I'm not hungry and finding that I'm not hungry first thing in the morning and can power through all the way until a late lunch, and then skipping dinner. Seems to be working. But maybe I need to rethink that?
    Seed oils are soybean oil, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, corn oil, canola oil, etc. Basically anything except cold-pressed olive, avocado and coconut oil is unhealthy, and even those should be eaten in moderation.

If you're not hungry, don't eat. For a more thorough explanation watch that Satchin Panda interview.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I don't think that's right. There was a very interesting study a few (couple?) decades ago in the Soviet Union (when they were testing just about anything on their Olympic athletes) and they were able to get the same results with a carb loaded group as a fat loaded group.

At this point in my life I no longer needs carbs for long efforts, or for hard efforts. Maybe my metabolism changed, but I kind of think I've retrained my body to not need the carbs that were constantly fed to young athletes back in the day and upon which we became reliant.
    For most athletic performance situations I'm pretty sure XtrPickles would disagree, strongly. But, bean's comment related to general living and for that body fat is more than sufficient to carry you through for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    To illustrate how much impact an active lifestyles has:

1 hour jogging burns about 550 calories (estimates vary for all of these.)
    1 hour sitting burns about 100 calories
    1 hour walking burns about 400 calories
    1 hour standing burns about 200 calories
    1 hour housework can burn around 250 calories

SO

Scenario 1: 1 hour vigorous exercise, 1 hour walking, 1 hour standing, 9 hours sitting (office job)
    = 2,050 calories

Scenario 2: no exercise, 3 hours sitting, 1 hours walking, 1 hours standing. 7 hours housework (job on your feet)
    = 2,650

Exercise is no cure all. I deeply believe you need to exercise very, very hard at times ( I believe in high intensity in many ways), but you can't outrun a fork. Or a couch. Gotta be active.
    Can't out-train a bad diet, but NEAT can burn 1,000+ kcals per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

Even 2-3 alcoholic beverages in the evening causes my RHR to remain elevated by 5-10 bpm overnight. 6+ drinks and it remains 10-20 bpm elevated, from low 40's to mid-50's-low 60's and sleep is not restorative.
    It's been pretty well proven that moderate alcohol consumption is not actually good for you. It looks like it in bulk data, but it's not real. I can dig up links later if someone cares. Not that moderate drinking is going to kill you or anything, but it doesn't make you healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    haven't had a candy bar in years or a soda, everyone once in awhile I crave a soda but I"ve seen what it does to cast iron pipes, not pretty so we think its ok to put that in our bodies?
    only five hours on the bike this weekend, not too bad considering it's november now
    going skiing today how about you?

everyone has their own personal responsibility you can either exercise and eat right or not
    if you choose to fill your body with shit you goto the hospital get the medical attention people crave and given a handful of pills to take every day to offset not exercising and not eating right
    the choice is yours in america it's an awesome amount of freedom

the choice not to grow and can your own food if you live in a rural area is laziness
    the choice not to walk or take the bus to where fresh food is accessible to purchase is laziness
    I put 2 kinds of metal, 1 red meat, 1 chicken meat in regular and diet Coke. The phosphoric acid didn't hardly touch the stuff in 4 weeks

Majoring in the minors. Just focus on eating healthy. Its exceptionally difficult to overeat really healthy food.

Meal timing, nutrient ordering and timing, and being nuts on with macros can be fun and help someone who already has 90% of their shit dialed, dial in the last 5-10%. But youre gonna see MUCH more benefit from dialing in that first 90%.... like simply making sure your meals are healthy.
    This is where I land on all this stuff. My highly unscientific personal observation has been that the most important thing is to find a way to keep total calorie intake below what you burn if you want to lose weight and then keep calorie intake in-line with what you burn once you're at your preferred weight. Exercise is awesome and really good for you for all kinds of reasons but most fat out of shape people who start exercising just use it as an excuse to consume more calories and don't lose weight.

From my personal experience, I trained for and ran a marathon a couple years ago. I was running 30-40 miles a week for a few months and I lost a few pounds but not enough to mention because I didn't modify my diet at all. This summer I trained for and ran a 50k. In addition to that, for the last few months my wife and I have been using an app to track calorie intake and we've been religious about limiting daily calorie intake to the recommended level to lose about 1# a week. Guess what, we've lost about a pound a week. We still eat a cheese plate after the kids go to bed almost every night. We drink some wine. Really our diet hasn't changed. What has changed is portions, plus a cutting out of the crap snack foods that we would naturally grab between meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

This is very interesting to me. I've heard from a lot of sources that even small amounts of alcohol can reduce recovery after a workout and I know that it messes with sleep. I do wonder how much separation one needs between their last drink and when they go to sleep in order for the effects to dissipate. Also I wonder how one glass of wine compares to say half a bottle of wine or 1 G&T vs 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I do wonder how much separation one needs between their last drink and when they go to sleep in order for the effects to dissipate. Also I wonder how one glass of wine compares to say half a bottle of wine or 1 G&T vs 3?
    If I remember the alcohol section of Why We Sleep correctly, even with one drink ideally you want several hours between that drink and bed. For multiple drinks he recommended day drinking, LOL.

Here's a decent explanation of why the apparent protective effect of moderate alcohol consumption is an artifact of statistical confounders: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-good-for-you

"The issue is pretty obvious when you look at the people who drink moderately in all of these studies. They tend to be wealthier, more educated, smoke less, live in nicer areas, are less likely to have been in prison, less likely to be overweight, and in general are better off than both people who drink a lot and those who say that they never drink. Never drinkers are also different in a lot of ways, mostly bad, which makes sense if you think about the why people might choose to abstain from drinking – for example, illness, poverty, and previous alcoholism."

If you dan't want to sit through that full Rhonda Patrick interview, here's Satchin Panda's TED talk that discusses the general effects of circadian rhythms and meal timing/frequency specifically:

Last edited by Dantheman; 11-02-2021 at 12:57 PM.