Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I'll chime in with my story.

Everyone is different, and have to approach this in their own way, especially the older you are, because, with more age, you're dealing with the effects of what you have and haven't been doing for years, at the same time your body is deteriorating. Add to that the important "family history", or genetic factor.

Some have said that cycling is almost the perfect activity, and I thought that too, if done with upper body work in the gym. What I have discovered recently is that I was, well, wrong for a long enough time to allow my right leg to actually atrophy in a bad way. Let me explain. Since I stopped working in NYC in about '02, I basically, stopped walking. Everybody walks in NY. Obesity levels are well below the national average because, well, everyone walks, because they have to. Now, in about 92, I picked up road biking at the prodding of a friend, and fell right into it, because it was fun and social immediately (this guy always rode stoned. He was a strong lifetime rider), and I knew that I needed a seriously aerobic activity, since I have serious diabetes genes from the male side, and I really did nothing much to get the heart rate up. Road biking was perfect. Hours of above average heart rate with no impact, out in the fresh air of country roads. I didn't do too much leg work in the gym before that, and pretty much stopped entirely with the biking. Hey, cycling covered it, right? My legs felt great, and I lost some weight. Now, as said, in '03 I moved to a place where nobody walked, which is like 98% of America, and started a career that involved seriously sitting in front of a computer at least eight hours a day. So, it was sit, sit, sit, and then, bike, bike bike, as I started to rack up about 3000 miles a year, which is a decent amount for someone in the northeast with a serious job. Kept up a good 2-3 day upper body gym schedule, too. Well, fast foward to today, about 14 years later and older, and I've discovered that, after a knee procedure last year, my right quads are like those of a little girl. And I biked 3000 miles last year after the surgery! But, got to Colorado in late January, and Dr. Janes had to extract about a cup of fluid out of my knee after about ten days, totally unstable. Looking back, this has been progressing for some time, with a case of plantar fascitis in the right foot, and previous issues with the knee. All the while, I'm putting serious miles in, and, I like climbing. But, absolutely no other work on the legs. My PT in Colorado taught me how this is all interconnected with my lower back, and must be dealt with as a complete "system" to be strengthened. Now I am putting the bike onto the low priority shelf, and spending time doing all sorts of stretching, body weight and weight work on the core and the right leg first, and picking up hiking, big time. So far, so good.

So, what I'm saying is, mix it up, and put your own body weight on those legs by walking and hiking. I've been banned from running for the rest of my life, because of half of a meniscus gone, but, that's ok, I never ran, hate it, and, damn, I think there's plenty of research out there that tells me that running is no good for the body, eventually. The above heavy work advice sounds good, too, although, even though I blame sitting for my problems, I'm sure glad I don't have some issues that heavy work after a certain age brings. This feels like it's easier to fix than being all strained and pulled and broken from labor.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 06-06-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Benny, 3000 miles a year on a bike isn't anywhere near serious, even with a full time job. When I left CA I had a full time job 40-50 hrs a week and I rode 200+ miles a week. My biggest issue with cycling is the LACK of impact. It never stresses your bones and muscles how they should be stressed. Cycling alone isn't enough to be well rounded, I'll agree.

I drank red last night and tonight its whites ... pretty mutherfuking diverse
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I drank red last night and tonight its whites ... pretty mutherfuking diverse
    But did you get up and walk over to get the bottles, find the corkscrew, pull the corks, pour the wines and then, to maximize the training effect swirl the wines before tasting it? I can never remember whether it is better to pull corks left handed for reds or for the whites...and swirling? Oh please, I have to remember lefts and rights for that too?
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Benny, 3000 miles a year on a bike isn't anywhere near serious, even with a full time job. When I left CA I had a full time job 40-50 hrs a week and I rode 200+ miles a week. My biggest issue with cycling is the LACK of impact. It never stresses your bones and muscles how they should be stressed. Cycling alone isn't enough to be well rounded, I'll agree.
    Oh, sure. I hang in a road bike forum where some guys, older non racers, mind you, talk 9-10,000 miles. But, I like to do other things in my life, too. Besides, most anywhere in California besides the mountains has a climate that allows all year riding. The northeast is pretty miserable after the first snow in December until maybe mid to late March. Then, of course, there's skiing.

I think you and I are saying the same thing, that cycling isn't a very "natural" activity, and, long term, doesn't fulfill a lot of needs the muscle and bone structure needs. But, impact, I'm sorry, eventually, is bad, too. That's why I'm not giving up on road biking, just branching out. I'll probably die on a bike, and that's cool with me.

Running you can get a great workout in < 1 hr, riding a bike the same amount of workout is gona 2 hrs is all, and if yer still a fat fuck after that ... you eat too much

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Running you can get a great workout in < 1 hr, riding a bike the same amount of workout is gona 2 hrs is all, and if yer still a fat fuck after that ... you eat too much
    I wonder why that is.
    I use a heart rate monitor and I burn 500 calories an hour running or mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I wonder why that is.
    I use a heart rate monitor and I burn 500 calories an hour running or mountain biking.
    Unless you are on a smooth track with an all Carbon/Ti MTB you will always burn more calories for MTB than for road, assuming you try equally. Road bikes weigh little and the routes are pretty smooth. MTB weighs a lot more and since conditions are far from smooth there is a "jackhammer effect" added to your ride.

If you look at the fittness levels among elites in pro sports you will find an amazingly high level of fitness among motocross riders. Add pedaling and you have MTB. Pretty simple...if surprizing.

Another gotcha: Trad nordic ski racers are at the pinacle of fittness as measured by VO2-Max, but their faster Skater bretheren are distinctly lower on the VO2-Max pecking order. This is due to Skate being more eficient. Similarly, MTB is less efficient, so, more "work" than road cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Unless you are on a smooth track with an all Carbon/Ti MTB you will always burn more calories for MTB than for road, assuming you try equally. Road bikes weigh little and the routes are pretty smooth. MTB weighs a lot more and since conditions are far from smooth there is a "jackhammer effect" added to your ride.

If you look at the fittness levels among elites in pro sports you will find an amazingly high level of fitness among motocross riders. Add pedaling and you have MTB. Pretty simple...if surprizing.

Another gotcha: Trad nordic ski racers are at the pinacle of fittness as measured by VO2-Max, but their faster Skater bretheren are distinctly lower on the VO2-Max pecking order. This is due to Skate being more eficient. Similarly, MTB is less efficient, so, more "work" than road cycling.
    I was actually wondering what you get a better workout running than mountain biking.

I can burn 500 calories an hour doing both.

I was actually wondering what you get a better workout running than mountain biking.

I can burn 500 calories an hour doing both.
    Better workout for what?

I was responding to a comment here that you get a better workout running than mountain biking if you only have an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Riding motocross is more physically demanding than mtbing at any level in terms of overall fitness. The upper body and core workout while riding motocross is amazing. Go hang in the pit at a motocross race, the riders are completely spent after their relatively short races.

I was responding to a comment here that you get a better workout running than mountain biking if you only have an hour or so.
    I don't know why, but anecdotally I can run the same loop once in an hour as I can ride twice in an hour on the bike and I'm always more worked running. Even when I'm in at the top of my fitness.

Riding motocross is more physically demanding than mtbing at any level in terms of overall fitness. The upper body and core workout while riding motocross is amazing. Go hang in the pit at a motocross race, the riders are completely spent after their relatively short races.
    That's debatable, but I probably agree. It's closer than you may think though. I rode motocross and still mtn bike. It's all based on terrain with regard to both disciplines.

It's good to add "bursts" where you can.

On the track? jog 300 yards and then sprint 100. Some days, fast walk 400 yards and sprint 200.
    Shadow boxing? Right into 60 heavy rope whips
    Fast feet? Right into 10 box jumps. Or drop into 5 push ups and 5 mountain climbers and start up fast feet again.

I've been historically guilty of just going to for a run or a bike run. It's better than nothing, but I feel like adding explosive movements, especially when fatigued, has been a big help for me.

Also, don't discount good old fashioned pulls up, push ups, dips, sit ups, squats and lunges.

Excellent recovery too, since they do heats to set up a final....and often the event takes a weekend or more to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    That's debatable, but I probably agree. It's closer than you may think though. I rode motocross and still mtn bike. It's all based on terrain with regard to both disciplines.
    This article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17497401/
    Suggests an output in Moto that is similar to half marathon effort while running (70% of VO2max). Conversely it suggests a fairly modest level of aerobic fitness for class A Moto riders (vo2max=45). By comparison, cat 2-3 cyclists have typical vo2max around 60. Sub-Elite runners seem to be in the 60-70 range as well. The fact that the Moto guys fail to achieve high average levels of aerobic fitness probably suggests something about the requirements of the activity. I.e more strength versus aerobic.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ...get 14 yards of dirt, a wheelbarrow & shovel and a small incline
    ...fill wheelbarrow with dirt and push that load up the small incline
    ...for added workout benny's, haul and stack concrete blocks
    Walter Jones (HOF left tackle for the Seahawks) trained in the offseason by pushing his Escalade up a hill

"When you're in a game and your legs feel strong and you're dominating guys in the fourth quarter, you know it's because of pushing the truck."

Jones gave up a total of only 23 quarterback sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times in his entire 13 year career.

Probably not much I can ad. 50. ish. 6-2, weight was 165-175 in prime, depending on how much lifting I was doing. Middle was always flat, NEVER an issue. Now 180? 185? starting some rounding in places that didn't have it before. I've run say 20 miles give or take a week probably since high school, with breaks up to year. last such break maybe 10 years ago. Almost never race. No running injuries, little bit of sizemoids once in a while. I eat horribly. almost 100% processed crap. know I shouldn't but hey. somethings gonna kill ya. forever I skied hard bell-to-bell without an issue, as much as 6 days straight. Now, a good long day, and my legs are dead, like I'd just run a 10 miler or something. find I'm leaving the mountian 3, 3:30 instead of 4:30. I cipher that's age. Least I hope so.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    This article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17497401/
    Suggests an output in Moto that is similar to half marathon effort while running (70% of VO2max). Conversely it suggests a fairly modest level of aerobic fitness for class A Moto riders (vo2max=45). By comparison, cat 2-3 cyclists have typical vo2max around 60. Sub-Elite runners seem to be in the 60-70 range as well. The fact that the Moto guys fail to achieve high average levels of aerobic fitness probably suggests something about the requirements of the activity. I.e more strength versus aerobic.
    Yes, many of my mtn bike rides are more anaerobic vs aerobic. We'll do 5-6 miles in the same amount of time that we'll do a 12-15 mile ride in other zones. The 5-6ers my upper body has been thoroughly worked.

Motocross is based on terrain also. In my day we never got on a track for the most part. I'm old...they weren't around, so we rode pits and other randoms places. Some days it was a work out and others it was just easier.

This thread is kinda silly. Everybody knows...eat well, anaerobic, aerobic, resistance, as many muscles involved as possible...if that's your goal.

Or like me...I just don't really give a shit...I have FUN! Although, I eat well because I like the taste of whole foods, I don't drink soda or any other sugary stuff because I don't like the taste, but I love a good beer and some tasty weed! We're all gonna die, but may as well enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    I eat horribly. almost 100% processed crap. know I shouldn't but hey. somethings gonna kill ya.
    It'll be sooner than later if you don't cut that shit out. IMVHO, the best available evidence says that our current epidemic of lifestyle diseases, namely obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain cancers, basically has three causes*: highly refined starches, "vegetable" oils, and fructose. Those three are the fast track to systemic inflammation and metabolic derangement. At the very least, even if you don't lose any years of life, the quality of the later years is going to suffer. Minimizing morbidity should be a higher priority than simply maximizing lifespan.

* - Dietary causes, anyway. The primary non-dietary causes being stress and inactivity.

not only that^^ but grab a couple of 1 gal milk jugs one in each hand they weight 10 lbs each, the average NA 50 yr old is lucky if they are only 20lbs overweight but carry that 20lbs everywhere for a day and tell me they don't stress your joints, they don't slow you down, they have no effect on your performance ?

its been close to 40 yrs but riding a dirt bike hard was definatley a work out, moto riders are definitely in shape

Maybe that 20 pounds makes one stronger? Seriously.

yeah the 20 lbs is usually around the middle and out in front which is gona make you stronger benny

Why not. Pretty much the most stable place to carry it. Certainly not at the end of the arms with two jugs.