Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Bumping this good thread as ski season approaches.

A couple of nutrition questions:
    -how do you all make chicken taste good so you can eat lots when trying to eat clean?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RR-COMP-KFC-1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	390210
    ….

-how do you all make chicken taste good so you can eat lots when trying to eat clean? I am so fucking sick of it.
    -what do you eat/prep for breakfast on a ski day when you’re rushing out the door?
    1) Rosemary and Olive oil

2) Ka’Chava chocolate smoothie with 1/2 soymilk 1/2 water and Banana

-OR-

1) KFC

2)Bacon in my pocket

I know bagels are bad but are they ok if you’re heading out for a long day of skiing once a week and you make an egg/Turkey sausage bagel sandwich the night before, heat it up and head out?

-how do you all make chicken taste good so you can eat lots when trying to eat clean? I am so fucking sick of it.
    Chicken thighs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I know bagels are bad but are they ok if you’re heading out for a long day of skiing once a week and you make an egg/Turkey sausage bagel sandwich the night before, heat it up and head out?
    Bagels aren't bad. Great, dense source of carbs.

Now, do something where those carbs are needed.

For exercise fueling you can eat whatever the hell you want.

Ok thanks.
    Also, is it ok to have a couple of egg whites with one yolk most days?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Chicken thighs.
    Second this. Salt, pepper, granulated garlick, smoked paprika and pan fry on med-high. Comes out great.

It's not complicated to eat healthy - just track what you're eating for a few days on MyFitnessPal or something and adjust your diet to hit your goals.

Want to eat a bunch of rice but not needing all those carbs / cals on a sedentary day? Sub for polenta (bonus - you can microwave it in about 5 min).

Hungry after healthy meals? Just eat more volume - mainly vegetables. You can make crispy, buffalo cauliflower that's plenty healthy - and eat the whole head of it without messing up your calorie intake. Cut up a head of cauliflower, toss lightly in olive oil, toss to coat with cornstarch, lightly salt. Put on a baking sheet at 425 and turn every 5-10 min till its getting crisp. Then coat in frank's red hot and put it back in a for a few.

Also bagels are fine, you should eat them (along with pizza and baguettes and all other carbs) because life is short and they're good. Just don't eat 4 of them in a row if you're gonna sit at work all day not moving much.

Ok thanks.
    Also, is it ok to have a couple of egg whites with one yolk most days?
    It’s not 1985 anymore. Eat the yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It’s not 1985 anymore. Eat the yolks.
    This^^^^^^

I only eat early if I'm doing something where I'll need the fuel. Most mornings (including dawn patrols under 3k) I don't eat until 1030-11 and then I like eggs/spinach sandwich or full fat Greek yogurt with raw oats, fruit and nuts.

On those days I need to eat before a big ski, ride, run, etc I really prefer oatmeal with nuts, fruit, and maybe a scoop of Greek yogurt or peanut butter. I find eggs make me hungry sooner and too much dairy in the morning wrecks my guts.

I did the butter coffee thing to give up breakfast. Seems to help satisfy the morning hunger while your body adjusts to not eating first thing in the morn. I don't drink butter in coffee at all anymore. I find the sooner I start eating in the day, the more I eat that day. I eat way less if I start a little later and let my body use a little fat or whatever first.

But overall I find diet success, like working out, is pretty specific to the person. Just watch the carbs, added sugar and calorie intake when you don't do anything active and also don't think you can over indulge when you have a big day. The fresher the food, wholer the food, less processed the food the better. Shop the perimeter of the store and avoid the aisles at the grocery store for the most part. Cutting back on booze really helps too, not that I'm great at that most of the time haha. Big days really shouldn't be viewed as an excuse to drink more, eat shitty, etc. The more you treat big days as normal the better you'll be.

Lastly, diet doesn't do much if you don't get consistent exercise. Figure out your jam and do it 4-7x a week for 30-60 minutes a session at minimum.

And when in doubt, refer to rule #5: toughen the fuck up.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

If you don't like chicken don't eat chicken.

Eat more plant based proteins, you'll like chicken more after awhile hahaha but for real eating less meat and dairy helps too. Especially dairy.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

-what do you eat/prep for breakfast on a ski day when you’re rushing out the door?
    Get breakfast burrito on the way up. Works in NM only tho.

Here's some advice from my 54 year old buddy who just sent his first 5.12 in 25 years after dropping a bunch of weight.

How to make chicken taste good? Garlic, ginger, chiles and soy sauce. Salsa.

Great posts, thanks you all!

I don't know much about this stuff since I usually struggle to keep weight on so I eat whatever I can slam in my face and never skip breakfast, but for cooking large quantities of tasty chicken I've found an instant pot to be helpful. Stick it in there for 15 mins with whatever flavoring you want and then shred it
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Grill chicken thighs, use any number of chicken seasonings you see at your grocery store. Load that bitch up- salt isnt bad for you as long as you stay hydrated (or dont have a pre-existing condition). Sodium is a bit of medical boogeyman left over from days of yore.

Eat lots and lots of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and GRASS FED butter. We buy EVOO and Kelly Gold butter at costco religously. Fat is delicious, and those two sources are very healthy. Use it on everything. I buy rice in 25lb bags at costco and bags of quinoa and put a couple chunks of Kelly Gold butter on there and its freaking delicious. Eating fat with white-starchy carbs in mandatory for me- the fat slows down the digestion of the meal and effectively turns a high Glycemic Index food like white rice into a much lower GI food, blunting the insulin response and creating an extended release energy meal. Also fun fact, if you make a batch of rice or potatoes and then refrigerate them you create a resistant starch that basically has less calories available for digestion.

Lean meat and plants should be the basis of every single meal. Add starchy carbs as needed depending on weight loss/gain goals, and expected/just performed physical activity that day. The amount of lean meat and plants should stay pretty constant no matter what- adding or limiting carbs from the meal should be how you manipulate calories. If you are a fatfatfatty limit the amount of fruit you eat and replace with veggies... if you are a skinny mofo then pineapple and peaches are just as good as a salad. Use EVOO and salt to make your veggies taste good if you are a toddler and picky about veggies.

If you have a sensitive stomach look into FODMAP diets and incorporate aspects (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) . Dont be the douche that is religiously strict about their diet though. Follow the 80/20 rule- 80% of the time you are on diet, the other 20% you can bend the diet to enjoy life and the situation you are in (this doesnt mean that 20% of meals are full-on DGAF cheat meals).

Eat to fuel your life and activities. Eat as if you are fueling your body for the days activities- not everything needs to taste super-duper delicious and emotionally/psychologically fulfilling. Its all a science experiment and deep down you do know what is good fuel and the general amount neccessary to fuel your days activity. Constantly be observing, analyzing outcomes and tweaking amounts of healthy foods you are eating (eat healthy and adjust amounts, do not just eat the same amount and adjust the amount of healthy food).

Keep snacks and convenient food around. For folks trying to keep weight down this means baby carrots, bulk sauteed veggies, jerky, rice cakes, oatmeal. For folks gaining muscle or fuelling big days this means fresh fruit, nuts, PBJs. Use protein powder to supplement snacks or breakfasts... whole foods should be the emphasis, but anyone who says protein powder is bad or useless is talking straight outta their ass.

shit's not rocket dentistry. Eat generally healthy, eat veggies at every meal, drink lots of water, eat/drink dark colored things (darker the more healthy). Go do something to get your heartrate up for minimum 20 mins a day (whether thats a fast walk, a ski, frantic housework, or play with the dog).
    Last edited by californiagrown; 10-25-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Chicken is easy. Almost every supermarket sells roasted chickens as a loss leader. I use a particular supermarket among four fairly close to me just to buy one of their excellent $6.99 birds, which is kind of ridiculous, because the same size chicken over in the poultry section is 13-15 dollars, uncooked.

^^^ Is it the same bird? The roasted one are typically commodity buds, while the ones in the aisles, which must be labeled, are often free ranged, organic, grass fed, massaged and/or hugged regularly.

I'm going to pick up one of those roasted birds this morning, because I want soup tonight. Pull the meat, and make a broth with he bones and veggie toss offs (carrot tops, onion peels, celery ends). Bring to boil, simmer all day and drain for tasty bone broth.

I was goon make stir fried tofu and beans tonight, but that is a warmer/ dryer day meal.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Chicken thighs.

3rded or whatever. was missing out on chicken thighs for so many years. prob have Moroccan thighs once a week now.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    *Super Long Post*
    Just a few comments and minor criticisms with this mostly excellent post:

If you are trying to lose weight or have trouble keeping weight off, liberally applying butter and EVOO to everything you eat is ill-advised. At the end of the day oil is the most calorically-dense thing you can put in your mouth. Flipside--if you struggle to keep weight on, drown that shit.

If you eat a lot of rice, try to buy US-origin brands. Arsenic contamination in Asian-origin rice is a real thing.

If I were trying to lose weight, fresh fruit would be near the bottom of the list of foods I would limit/eliminate.

Not only does cooling create resistant starch, re-heating produces even more. Cooled rice will produce a ~25% smaller glucose spike than fresh rice, but re-heated rice will be ~50% lower (and you will achieve this improved glucose control while producing less insulin). Corn tortillas are great for this reason--they're cooked and cooled before you buy them, then you re-heat them before eating. My understanding is that this effect is not proportional to the reduction in calories available for digestion. The primary mechanism of action seems to be increased butyrate production by your gut bacteria somehow modulating your insulin sensitivity and blood glucose response. This is also the posited reason why eating a meal high in RS blunts the glucose spike from a subsequent meal low in RS eaten up to 8-10 hours later.

Regarding "not everything needs to taste super-duper delicious and emotionally/psychologically fulfilling": Ronnie Coleman claimed that when he was competing he would eat 6 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast per day. Winners do what needs to be done

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If you are trying to lose weight or have trouble keeping weight off, liberally applying butter and EVOO to everything you eat is ill-advised. At the end of the day oil is the most calorically-dense thing you can put in your mouth. Flipside--if you struggle to keep weight on, drown that shit.
    Totally, some very basica common sense applies. Just anecdotally though, Ive never ever seen someone become fat because of a dialed diet... just too much olive oil and grassfed butter bumping calories too high. Technically its possible, but IMO thats majoring in the minors when people blame the extra calories from olive oil and/or grassfed butter for being fat instead of looking at all the other non-essential bullshit they shove down their gullets. IMO, cutting down on those healthy calories should come after someone has cutdown on the bullshit filler calories like sweets, and starchy carbs.

Jim Morrison diet.

You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans

I eat more chicken any man ever seen, yeah yeah
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    …because the same size chicken over in the poultry section is 13-15 dollars, uncooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^ Is it the same bird?…
    Most stores get cheaper birds from their supplier that are too small to be sold otherwise…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA