Page 93 of 253 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 6315
    So Grimes is literally selling her soul. Something something performance art.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...s-soul-for-art

Hell in a handbasket, my mother used to say.

wait, wrong thread...

Imagine companies paying money to tweak the electrical signals in your brain to make you prefer, say, Coke over Pepsi. Or make you more addicted to soda/caffeine in general.
    It opens up avenues to all kinds of nightmare scenarios that none of us want to see. Not to get on the slippery slope fallacy, but artificially altering brain patterns is dangerous. Not just medically/biologically, but socially and politically.
    Yes, I’m aware that antidepressants and other currently available drugs do basically this. But not nearly as directly or with as much control as a computer chip could.
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    That latest Rogan interview is a trip. The neuro transplant shit is nuts.

You remember when they said we'd all be riding around in robots by this time?

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/01/...rturned-truck/

Fuck it, let's just go to the moon.

Self driving. Right into a semi. Ouch

At least he wasn’t decapitated like these two older crashes.
    . . .

"I don't know why that truck didn't get out of the way, totally at fault" Elon Musk.

And his beef with Bezos grows

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The company that Musk founded, and source of his fortune.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/...cyberstalking/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The company that Musk founded, and source of his fortune.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/...cyberstalking/
    Benny, he help start paypal and his only connection to ebay is that paypal was sold to ebay against his wishes.

$1228

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    $1228
    Which is insane.

Tesla has become the world’s most valuable carmaker, overtaking Japan’s Toyota, after its stock hit a record high.

Shares in the electric carmaker touched $1,134 on Wednesday morning before falling back, leaving it with a market value of $209.47bn (£165bn).

That is roughly $4bn more than Toyota’s current stock market value.

However, Toyota sold around 30 times more cars last year and its revenues were more than 10 times higher.
    Perspective

Just imagine the stock price if they go bankrupt.

$1700

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    $1700
    Wtf. Makes zero sense.

It does make zero sense. And then I realize that Telsa is the only carmaker in the world that makes an electric car that resonates with car buyers and is probably 5 years ahead of everyone else when it comes to self-driving, and I think "Well, maybe...?"
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

They are way ahead of everyone else, but still. I wish I had bought it when it was $200+. Although I'm too conservative and would have sold it long before this crazy rise.

Then there's this guy - https://cleantechnica.com/2020/07/11...ng-higher/amp/

Elon is a complete clown - he's the jester of the automotive and space world!

According to the traditions of subversion and the subversion of tradition,
    people have needed a good jestering to keep them sane.

In Europe, the jester often played a key role in expressing the needed disregard for the establishment.
    Such is the world or cars and space, dominated by the bland and financially focused agencies and companies that tow the line.
    Come along Musk, total and complete goof.
    The masses love it and throw him hoards of money.

Where would he be without the stock valuations?

He's entertained the crowds and been rewarded for hammering a giant circle into the square hole of the
    American Auto and Space 'Industry'.
    Last edited by puregravity; 07-13-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling

completely nuts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.11.25 PM.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	334660
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    It does make zero sense. And then I realize that Telsa is the only carmaker in the world that makes an electric car that resonates with car buyers and is probably 5 years ahead of everyone else when it comes to self-driving, and I think "Well, maybe...?"
    neither of those are true. Especially with self driving.

that you think those are both true is why it’s crazy.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/sh...rizona-highway

Yeah, it’s ZH clickbait. But worth it to see the pics

===========
    A Tesla on Autopilot smashed into the back of a patrol vehicle on the side of the road near Benson, Arizona today, according to Arizona's Department of Public Safety Twitter feed.

"Today, a Tesla rear-ended a patrol vehicle at the scene of an earlier crash on I-10 EB near Benson. Luckily, our sergeant wasn’t in the vehicle & wasn't hurt," the tweet says.

In addition to being on Autopilot, the driver of the vehicle is being investigated for DUI, according to the Arizona DPS.

"We can confirm the driver indicated to troopers the Tesla was on autopilot at the time of the collision. Additionally, the driver, a 23-year-old male from Irvine, CA, is being investigated for DUI. He remains in the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries," they commented on Twitter.

"The impact caused the patrol vehicle to collide with the back of an ambulance, but fortunately the occupants of the ambulance weren’t injured. The driver of the Tesla had non-life-threatening injuries. Please AZ - #MoveOver! It’s the law & it helps everyone get home safely," the Arizona DPS wrote.

Fortunately, the police officer involved escaped injury, but this marks the latest in a string of incidents where Tesla vehicles - some of which were on Autopilot - have slammed into the back of inanimate objects on various roadways.

We can't help but wonder: where could the driver have gotten the impression that they might be able to possibly go drinking and have their car take over the driving for them? Could it be from the name "Autopilot"? Or the careless throwing around of the term "full self driving"? Perhaps maybe from the idea of Autopilot being safer than human drivers being peddled by the company?

Recall, it was just about a month ago that we reported about a Tesla traveling on a highway in Taiwan, at what appeared to be full speed, before slamming directly into an overturned truck that was laying across the highway. The Tesla appeared to make little or no change in direction before hitting the truck. At one point, smoke can be seen coming out of the back tires of the vehicle, indicating that the Tesla may have tried to brake - but to no avail.

Days before that incident, we reported on a Tesla that was found to have driven off a cliff under "mysterious" circumstances in Santa Clara County, California.

According to the California Highway Patrol, the Tesla "went over" the cliff, and the driver, 60-year-old Pleasanton resident James Yacorzynski, was found dead at the scene.

California Highway Patrol officer Ross Lee commented that authorities were unsure how long the Tesla had been sitting at the bottom of the cliff.

Finally, two weeks ago, we reported that Tesla's Autopilot was to blame for a similar near-fatal accident that took place last December. A Massachusetts State Police trooper had just pulled over a vehicle on the side of Route 24 in West Bridgewater when the trooper's vehicle was slammed into by the Tesla.

NEVER MISS THE NEWS THAT MATTERS MOST
    ZEROHEDGE DIRECTLY TO YOUR INBOX

Receive a daily recap featuring a curated list of must-read stories.

The driver who was pulled over, Maria Smith, said: "It just happened so quick. Before I knew it, my car was flying forward. I looked behind me, and my whole back windshield was blown out. There was glass in my hair."

A man "driving" the Tesla had slammed into the State Police cruiser that, in turn, wound up slamming into the stopped SUV. Nicholas Ciarlone, the driver is now facing a negligent driving charge, according to NBC 10.

The car was "finally stopped several hundred feet ahead" by another state trooper.

Court documents shows that when a trooper responded to the scene to help, Ciarlone said that he "must not have been paying attention." Recall, at the time of the accident, we reported that the driver said that he had put the car in Autopilot because he was checking on his dog in the back seat.

Smith said: "I thought that was terrifying. To think the sensors are not equipped enough to pick up a police car with its sirens and lights on the highway."
    . . .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...autopilot/amp/

While the crash details are troubling is there any data to show that autopilot is less safe than a human?

I think there’s definitely some self selection of conditions that favor autopilot, but I have a hard time hypothesizing that the self selection is so strong it accounts for a halving of the accident rate. Additionally the rate of a Tesla autopilot crash is 1/6th the national rate according to that article. Maybe Tesla is fudging the data?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I guess Tesla only uses standard cameras, no radar or lidar? I wonder if the flashing lights on an emergency vehicle could confuse the cameras. Seems like something they would have accounted for in development, but ???