Page 62 of 255 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 6353
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Boy, this thread sure went upper middle class.
    Tesla is the coastal identifying upper middle class status symbol of the late 10s, it was that way from the beginning.

I drove one, and some of you guys may know me as a big fan of old german sedans and sports cars, turbos, manual transmissions, and all othe things automotive that are holy. I was impressed. It is pretty clear that electric is the future, and Tesla has the best electric car out there.

Now get off off my lawn, and I need to change the oil in my v8 bimmer, and put new ignition coils in.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Tesla is the coastal identifying upper middle class status symbol of the late 10s, it was that way from the beginning.
    Not really. California commuters save a lot of money and many companies offer free charge.

https://newsroom.cisco.com/feature-c...icleId=1837821

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Boy, this thread sure went upper middle class.
    For the Model S and X, sure, but not for the 3. Pay attention to the hordes of lame crossovers all around you. Many are right square in the $30K-40K+ range. How about the "average" pickup truck these days which are EVERYWHERE. Your average person is spending stupid amounts of money on new trucks and SUVs. You can now get a Model 3 for what many people spend on a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Pretty middle of the road cars. Sure, it's still not cheap by any means, but it's also kind of the norm for what many spend these days.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post

This. I have three co-workers that have model S (es?) and they love the things, but admit to some frustration with the company.
    Exactly. Everyone I know who has a Tesla loves the car until something goes wrong. Good luck if you get in an accident.

My love for high liter naturally aspirated manuals is momentarily dormant every time I drive one but there’s a shit infrastructure behind them and the allure fades.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Exactly. Everyone I know who has a Tesla loves the car until something goes wrong. Good luck if you get in an accident.

My love for high liter naturally aspirated manuals is momentarily dormant every time I drive one but there’s a shit infrastructure behind them and the allure fades.

This for sure. Simple warranty work must suck if you aren't near a major metro area.

As to the cost of mid sized suvs and pickups being comparable, well the mini suv or pickups have a bit more practicality for some and a lot of Americans drive further distances than electric currently allows.

I'm sure they're very cool cars. The lack of infrastructure, qc issues, and a semi crazy guy in charge well it makes it a lot less appealing to some.

Model y released today? Meh....

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Not really. California commuters save a lot of money and many companies offer free charge.

https://newsroom.cisco.com/feature-c...icleId=1837821
    compared to a prius?

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    compared to a prius?
    Depends how many miles you drive. 100 miles a day is not unusual around here

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I drove one, and some of you guys may know me as a big fan of old german sedans and sports cars, turbos, manual transmissions, and all othe things automotive that are holy. I was impressed. It is pretty clear that electric is the future, and Tesla has the best electric car out there.

Now get off off my lawn, and I need to change the oil in my v8 bimmer, and put new ignition coils in.
    Yes, just like a cvt
    But with better torque
    But don’t you miss rowing gears through the ratios?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Not really.
    the original roadster was a silicon valley status car. so were the S and the X. you forgetting larry page paid money to get one of the first? all the people who used to drive a lexus/bmw/audi that bought one? It's not just CA that offered incentives - bunch of other states offer or offered incentives; none have seen the Tesla uptake of CA.

Model S substitutes a luxury car getting 20mpg. The fuel savings every month is significant in That class if the company is paying.

Dude, those people don't give a fuck about fuel prices.

First Benny says the middle class can’t afford a car and now they don’t care about gas prices. “Dude” is losing touch.

The middle class is not buying Tesla's, moron.

Elon Musk: Smartest Guy in The World or Complete Clown?

According to you “dude” no one Is buying Tesla. Model 3 is not for middle class and model S is not what wealthy buyers. Typically you just make stuff up to fit your narrative.

We know that’s how easy coast blowhards roll.

Elon has been making naughty texts again

Got to check out a couple Model 3's the other day in Palo Alto! One was a decked out version, but the other was the base model + the faux leather seats, and was the base black and "aero wheels" (pretty much hubcaps but they add a tad bit of range apparently). That cheaper one is the model I really wanted to see. Anyway, I found the car to be totally acceptable in base form, and I felt made a pretty compelling case to get one. Really wish I was in a better position or I would have ordered one right away while I was there and scored a factory tour right across the way in Fremont! Anyway, getting to experience it in person has sealed it for me. I'm down for one as soon as I can swing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Got to check out a couple Model 3's the other day in Palo Alto! One was a decked out version, but the other was the base model + the faux leather seats, and was the base black and "aero wheels" (pretty much hubcaps but they add a tad bit of range apparently). That cheaper one is the model I really wanted to see. Anyway, I found the car to be totally acceptable in base form, and I felt made a pretty compelling case to get one. Really wish I was in a better position or I would have ordered one right away while I was there and scored a factory tour right across the way in Fremont! Anyway, getting to experience it in person has sealed it for me. I'm down for one as soon as I can swing it.
    How do you go on a cross country trip in one of those? I guess every n number of miles you need to find a charging station (if they exist) and then wait 45 minutes or so until your car charges?

I think it would require a lot of pretrip planning to make sure you don’t run out of juice in the middle of West Texas or such.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    How do you go on a cross country trip in one of those? I guess every n number of miles you need to find a charging station (if they exist) and then wait 45 minutes or so until your car charges?

I think it would require a lot of pretrip planning to make sure you don’t run out of juice in the middle of West Texas or such.
    What happens if on that carefully planned trip you hit unexpected 4 hours of traffic due to accident and no charging stations nearby....?

For one, the car is smart enough to plan your trip out for you. They're pretty advanced in that department. Plug in your destination, and it will map out your route and suggest where to stop for charging and grabbing a coffee or whatever.

Secondly, I want one for my city car. Base model nets you 220 miles of range. All I need is 50 miles realistically. I've been eyeballing other EVs lately with WAY less range, so now a Model 3 with 220 miles seems downright luxurious. Haha. A decked out Model S can get you 330 miles of range, but that's a lot more $$$, so unless I go with a very used S, a 3's more realistic for me. I think people overestimate how many miles of range they REALLY need in normal, every day commuting scenarios. Most families ALSO have more than one car, so if they need to make that rare cross-country trip, most have a standard ICE vehicle for that. Seriously, though. How often do MOST people make cross-country trips anyhow? Sure, I'VE cross the country countless times, but I'm definitely not the average person. If I end up becoming an EV only household though, and end up finding myself in a situation where the charging network isn't going to work out in my favor, it's called renting a car. They're dirt cheap to rent. It's not rocket science!

Just like I don't want to own a truck for the 2 times a year I actually "need" one, and normally just rent one from Home Depot or Uhaul instead, I also don't think I "need" the range of an ICE car for the few times a year I need it. The more I've been analyzing it all, the more compelling EVs have become to me and my typical family usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    What happens if on that carefully planned trip you hit unexpected 4 hours of traffic due to accident and no charging stations nearby....?
    Electrics (and to a lesser extent hybrids, which need to kick in the gas engine periodically to keep it within efficient operating range) are super efficient in slow traffic. For maximizing range, the more traffic jams the better. Perhaps not so much in very cold weather (electrics need to use battery power for heating, unlike ICEs which have far more waste heat than they know what to do with).

As for the previous question about cross-country trips, it's not great for cross-country trips (though doable, with planning), but so what, how often do most people do cross-country trips? My last one was when I came home from grad school. Which was not recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    The battery hit you'll take is pretty negligable from what I understand. Was told that they even have a "camper" mode (maybe only on the Model X?) where in 24 freaking hours of running your HVAC, it only takes like a 25-35 mile hit. I noticed that the A/C and the radio were just on full time on the Model 3 at the dealer, so I asked the salesman what kind of impact that had on the battery, and he said it was barely anything and it could go for days like that without charging. So yeah, 4 hours of traffic? You'll be fine. You'll consume FAR, FAR less "fuel" than you ever would with an ICE that's just keeping the propulsion source humming full time, just idling. HUGE waste, especially when multiplied by the gazillions of vehicles stuck in the same jam. Mind blowing actually when you think about it.

Tesla currently has 1500 Supercharger Stations worldwide and 700 in North America alone. Here is a link to a map showing their locations:

https://supercharge.info/map

Electric cars use almost no energy when they are sitting still or moving very slowly. Unlike gas cars, they don't have to idle.