Page 94 of 253 FirstFirst ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 6315

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Wtf.
    All II learned was that I can summon my Tesla and the pig brain makes beeping noises.

That product reveal did shockingly little to explain how that thing works or what it does. Now we hear it beeping... thanks, breakthrough stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...autopilot/amp/

While the crash details are troubling is there any data to show that autopilot is less safe than a human?

I think there’s definitely some self selection of conditions that favor autopilot, but I have a hard time hypothesizing that the self selection is so strong it accounts for a halving of the accident rate. Additionally the rate of a Tesla autopilot crash is 1/6th the national rate according to that article. Maybe Tesla is fudging the data?

I didn’t spend a ton of time on this, but it doesn’t appear that anyone credible seriously doubts or contests this data. Which begs the question then why are people getting up in arms about a system that is safer than a standard driver? Sure there is plenty of room for improvement, but overall safer is better.

Selection of conditions is very likely more important than the apparent increase in safety the raw numbers would seem to indicate. Highway miles are overall much safer, for example, but additionally, who's putting their lives on the line to test that system in bumper-to-bumper at speed conditions without covering the brake? So the worst miles are driven by a driver and autopilot or the driver alone. Apples and oranges.

I'm sensing a solution: Gertrude is the back up driver!

Will you guys help me design, engineer and build the starships of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    Will you guys help me design, engineer and build the starships of the future?
    As long as there is a home depot or lowes near the factory we are all good. Spit and bubblegum get shit done at Tesla.

I totally support his space shit, and the fact the he's brought huge awareness to the electric market, but this car company nonsense has got to stop sometime no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Selection of conditions is very likely more important than the apparent increase in safety the raw numbers would seem to indicate. Highway miles are overall much safer, for example, but additionally, who's putting their lives on the line to test that system in bumper-to-bumper at speed conditions without covering the brake? So the worst miles are driven by a driver and autopilot or the driver alone. Apples and oranges.
    Yea but the Tesla is still safer when autopilot isn’t on. If all the crashes were being shifted towards non-autopilot drive time we should see non-autopilot drive time be less safe than the national average. But that isn’t the case. I’m not saying it is flawless data by any means. But I don’t see any possible adjustments that would indicate that Tesla’s autopilot is not better than your average American driver or the average Tesla driver at driving.

It would be interesting to see the average speed of autopilot-controlled cars in inclement/winter conditions vs. human drivers. I'd bet the autopilot speed is a lot lower and the lower crash rate is pretty much just physics in action. But do people want to be safer enough to go slower? Apparently not, since they don't currently.

I don’t think you’re supposed to use it in snow / ice. Rain seems fine and there are videos of people using it in snow but the autopilot gets confused at times.

I’m sure it would drive slower than most people. This is an area where humans are just terrible at assessing risk / reward, and I’m super guilty of this too. I’ve sped through too many snow storms over confident in my awd and studded snows (they are great though). All to knock 10-30 minutes off a drive. I’d probably be far more patient if I wasn’t actually driving (and didn’t have to be supervising the autopilot either).

I hope I live for the day when I can call my car, have it pick my drunk ass up and drive me home. Or jump in my car, fall asleep and wake as it pulls into the mountain.

I hope I live for the day when I can call my car, have it pick my drunk ass up and drive me home. Or jump in my car, fall asleep and wake as it pulls into the mountain.

That already exists! It's called a wife.

Yea but the Tesla is still safer when autopilot isn’t on.
    Can you clarify this? Are you saying it's safer than other cars or safer than when the autopilot is on?

If Tesla is making safer cars that's going to alter a bunch of stuff in the stats, I would think.

Is this where I come to complain about Elon's fucking retarded skynet, ahem, starlink satellites? Every goddamn time I look at or photograph the stars, one of those fuckers draws a bright ass line across the sky. And that is a minor annoyance compared to the existential risk to human space travel (Kessler Effect) with the massive amount of space junk he's launching into LEO.

All for a garbage internet connection and to feed this mother fucker's ego. Fuck you Elon.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Is this where I come to complain about Elon's fucking retarded skynet, ahem, starlink satellites? Every goddamn time I look at or photograph the stars, one of those fuckers draws a bright ass line across the sky. And that is a minor annoyance compared to the existential risk to human space travel (Kessler Effect) with the massive amount of space junk he's launching into LEO.

All for a garbage internet connection and to feed this mother fucker's ego. Fuck you Elon.
    I agree, this is such bullshit.

Elon Musk: Smartest Guy in The World or Complete Clown?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Can you clarify this? Are you saying it's safer than other cars or safer than when the autopilot is on?

If Tesla is making safer cars that's going to alter a bunch of stuff in the stats, I would think.
    The data shows both, Tesla’s overall have a lower accident rate than the general population of vehicles and autopilot on the Tesla has a lower accident rate than a manual driver in the Tesla. Further, manually driven, the Tesla has a lower accident rate than the general population.

“In the 4th quarter, we registered one accident for every 3.07 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.10 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.64 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.”

The data shows both, Tesla’s overall have a lower accident rate than the general population of vehicles and autopilot on the Tesla has a lower accident rate than a manual driver in the Tesla. Further, manually driven, the Tesla has a lower accident rate than the general population.

“In the 4th quarter, we registered one accident for every 3.07 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.10 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.64 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.”
    That data needs to take into account demographics. Tesla's aren't typically little Karen or Kyle's first car at 16, and the average citizen isn't shelling out Tesla money to get to Taco Bell for the night shift. Less money - less safety features.

People are using Tesla’s numbers? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    That data needs to take into account demographics. Tesla's aren't typically little Karen or Kyle's first car at 16, and the average citizen isn't shelling out Tesla money to get to Taco Bell for the night shift. Less money - less safety features.
    Right, but would those adjustments account for autopilot being 6x safer? That’s a big adjustment.

Meanwhile in Canada
    “The car appeared to be self-driving, traveling over 140km/h, with both front seats completely reclined and both occupants appearing to be asleep,” the RCMP said in a statement.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ghway-speeding

^^ something’s up with Ponoka, ALberta.... some dude got kidnapped and robbed there recently by three tweakers, poor fuck thought he was going on a tinder date.

Fucking Ponoka

Can they charge him with dangerous driving if he wasn't actually....driving?

Wow...battery day came and went and barely a cricket here!