Page 8 of 253 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    How many of those SpaceX rockets can blow up before they go bankrupt? You'd think with over 50 years of history of the US & Russia launching rockets, these guys would have plenty of learning experience to pull from to minimize the failures.

Wasn't that a used rocket from a previous flight?

Take that, Burning Man!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    How many of those SpaceX rockets can blow up before they go bankrupt? You'd think with over 50 years of history of the US & Russia launching rockets, these guys would have plenty of learning experience to pull from to minimize the failures.
    So you're saying it's not rocket science?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    (D) Fraud
    All successful people are frauds? Or, in actual context to my post, you are saying haters are deceiving themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Ummm.... I dont think they would have the problems if they would use the same 50yr old tech to launch things. The problem might lie in that they are using the much more lighter (bigger payload), cheaper(lbs/launch) rockets and at the same time, trying to get part of the frigging thing to land back on a frigging floating pontoon?

We, as a human race, would be by now really suavé at chipping rocks and starting fires from cinders if we would have stuck with that shit.
    We didnt.

And then there is the brain drain of 90s. US is barely able to maintain their stockpile of their nukes & ICBMs, and are struggling developing systems further as there are no old guard left. People that had all the experience developing the systems, people that institutions let go after the end of the cold war.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Too fucking stupid to respond to meaningfully.
    Posting "fraud" in context to my post means haters are deceiving themselves. I listed three reasons why people hate, you posted a fourth. Be articulate.

Same with "All successful people are frauds" because in context I was talking about all people, not Musk. Have fun processing this all, I'm looking forward to the "you stupid" response. Dumb dick.

retarted logic.
    This is not helping.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Ummm.... I dont think they would have the problems if they would use the same 50yr old tech to launch things. The problem might lie in that they are using the much more lighter (bigger payload), cheaper(lbs/launch) rockets and at the same time, trying to get part of the frigging thing to land back on a frigging floating pontoon?

We, as a human race, would be by now really suavé at chipping rocks and starting fires from cinders if we would have stuck with that shit.
    We didnt.

And then there is the brain drain of 90s. US is barely able to maintain their stockpile of their nukes & ICBMs, and are struggling developing systems further as there are no old guard left. People that had all the experience developing the systems, people that institutions let go after the end of the cold war.
    There is a growing body of thought that we have just lived in a very exceptional period of history, and will not see advances like the last century certainly in our lifetimes, and maybe for a few centuries.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016...wth-will-fall/

Note how plane travel is stuck at a certain speed, among other things.

How do you leap from fraud being a potential 4th reason to your first sentence?
    I listed three potential answers for haters (Weakness, envy and fear), you listed a fourth. The fourth is clearly listed as a fourth option by you by typing "(D) Fraud". Are you know going to say D represents democrats or something?

Does not having the word "all" to "Why do people love to watch successful and intelligent people fail trying to accomplish huge goals?" make it incorrect or unclear in any way? I think you are stretching to be right here.

You are still a dumb dick, ya dick! Mellow the fuck out. "All it takes is removing the assumption addiction and reading something for what it is in the most simple form." That's how dumb-ass arguments start online, presumptions or putting words in peoples mouth. I was trying to be polite and find out exactly what you meant: still lead to a pointless online argument. Fuck, just say Musk is a fraud, you dink!

Air travel is growing faster than GDP worldwide. It's projected to double in a few decades, unlike GDP. Precisely how is air travel 'stuck'?
    Are you confusing air speed with growth of passengers, worldwide?

If it's the first, one word. Concorde.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Are you confusing air speed velocity with growth of passengers, worldwide?
    African or European.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Whoa nellie...
    2nd stage blew up.... Uhhh... did the 2nd stage motor fire by accident?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Air travel is growing faster than GDP worldwide. It's projected to double in a few decades, unlike GDP. Precisely how is air travel 'stuck'?

I don't think Musk is necessarily a fraud. I'm saying some people think he is a fraud. Fwiw, I wish some people would fail because they are frauds - or at least I believe they are (ex. police union leadership, pharma chiefs, Trump, etc.). The frustrating thing about faulty logic is it typically involves hurt feelings and drawn out explanations to address. Even if you go slow, point by point, people think you're condescending. So you either address it with kid gloves, ignore it or try to get more blood rushing to the head with a sharp remark.
    "some people think he is a fraud'

That's all you fucking had to say.

Are you confusing air speed with growth of passengers, worldwide?

If it's the first, one word. Concorde.
    That's not a failure of technology, it's economics. Supersonic flight is really inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That's not a failure of technology, it's economics. Supersonic flight is really inefficient.
    Actually, we can make it efficient enough... but it is uneconomical to R&D and for airlines to operate when it can only fly transatlantic/transpacific.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Well, yeah, sure. The technology hit a ceiling. Sorta my point. What we need is a whole new technology to impact the economy as much as the airplane. Like, a Star Trek transporter. Seriously. But, that ain't happening.

Ha. That was a Zuckerberg payload on that rocket, right? Well, Zuckboy gifted the Pope a drone a few days ago when he got an audience. Coincidence? Hmmm. I think not.

You catch jokes about as well as you deliver them

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retarted
    Well ok, but just fyi your link defines it as:

1. A retarded person's way of spelling the word "retarded."

2. The mongo spelling of the word retarded.

3. What you are if you spell it like this.

4. Perhaps the most ironic "word" in the history of ever. Frequently preceded by "your" in extreme cases.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Actually, we can make it efficient enough... but it is uneconomical to R&D and for airlines to operate when it can only fly transatlantic/transpacific.
    Efficient enough to let people like Benny use it? That doesn't seem quite correct.

And there's a group petitioning the faa to alllow, low supersonic aircraft over land by claiming they can reduce the severity of the sonic boom. I'm not convinced it's true

And the cool thing about rocket failures is that we have videos to see what happened

It's just that the focus shifted. Just as at some point the Carriage didn't really need much improvement, as are todays passenger jets - although the Dreamliner, warts and all, is a vast improvement over previous flying busses. OK, so we don't have a shitton of brain power focused on travel these days, but keep this shit in mind:

Data storage/transmission and renewable energy are our main focus these days. Think about the phone you had 10 years ago vs. the one you have now. We may not have the Star Trek transporter (yet?) but we are damn close to the tricorder.

What we need is a whole new technology to impact the economy as much as the airplane.
    Hyperloop will totally do that.

Fusion power. Hope to see that before i die.

Cold fusion? Screw that. I want a flux capacitor.
    I still call it The Jake.

Big bada boom
    watch out for snakes