Page 3 of 249 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Btw, an ev battery loses 30 percent of its capacity after 500 cycles, ie about a year of charging.
    Where the fuck did you hear that?

https://steinbuch.wordpress.com/2015...radation-data/

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Agreed, but we need early adopters buying sub-optimal technology to help finance the development that's going to get us there.
    I don't know why you'd think that. Surely all the large oil companies and auto makers are working furiously on EV technology, right?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    From that one guy down there at about 70%, duh.

I agree with everything you're saying.

As soon as the energy storage is solved, evs are the way to go.

But that's in the future. Right now, they are sold to people for bragging rights as the third or fourth car.

I had a car that had a range of 200 miles on a tank of gas, and it was a pain in the ass. It seemed that I was always looking for a gas station.
    I ordered a Tesla 3, it will be a second car. First car (SUV) is for road trips. Tesla is for commuting. I don't complain my DH bike sucks at going uphill because I don't take it uphill. I don't dismiss powder skis because they suck on groomers, they are not made for groomers. EV cars have a place, especially on short trips I do everyday, and also here in SLC with all the pollution. I'm hoping the early adopters are the Model X and Roadster Tesla owners, and not me. We will see, I'm not 100% on this with so little info out on the 3. I and most people have to compromise a bit to make the Tesla work, I'm fine with it.

If the tesla doesn't work for you, fine. it works for others, is that so hard to comprehend?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    From that one guy down there at about 70%, duh.
    Goddamn I hate that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I ordered a Tesla 3, it will be a second car. First car (SUV) is for road trips. Tesla is for commuting. I don't complain my DH bike sucks at going uphill because I don't take it uphill. I don't dismiss powder skis because they suck on groomers, they are not made for groomers. EV cars have a place, especially on short trips I do everyday, and also here in SLC with all the pollution. I'm hoping the early adopters are the Model X and Roadster Tesla owners, and not me. We will see, I'm not 100% on this with so little info out on the 3. I and most people have to compromise a bit to make the Tesla work, I'm fine with it.

If the tesla doesn't work for you, fine. it works for others, is that so hard to comprehend?
    Do you guys think one day we'll be checking out a Tesla Roadster at a Concours event, appreciating the design and rarity at that time? Maybe so.

The under the hood views and conversation will be very different from how we look at a 1962 Ferrari at a similar show right now that's for sure. "Oh, I see the original owner went with the black colored battery pack. Interesting. Who wants another glass of rosé"?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Do you guys think one day we'll be checking out a Tesla Roadster at a Concours event, appreciating the design and rarity at that time? Maybe so.
    Are they that rare? I still see two different ones every couple weeks, I thought they made a 2-5000 of em. Starting to see lots more model Xs around here now

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Probability comprehension fail by the guy w the question. Double facepalm..

Once the energy storage issue is solved, classic ICE cars will gradually become museum pieces.
    My perspective.

Agreed, but we need early adopters buying sub-optimal technology to help finance the development that's going to get us there.
    Bingo - my view on Musk/Tesla. Doesn't matter as long as they create valuable, innovative IP. Their branding exercise alone is a massive push forward for EVs, they are now cool.

I think he is suffering from meglomaniac disease...the crippler of billionaires.

I had a car that had a range of 200 miles on a tank of gas, and it was a pain in the ass. It seemed that I was always looking for a gas station.
    Buddy from L.A. at U of A had the What About Bob Grand Wagoneer. He had to carry gas cans in the back to make it home because there was a 115 mile stretch with no gas and he had a range of about 105 miles.

When is he gonna revolutionize the golf cart industry?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Speaking of the Roadster, anyone see this a couple days ago?

Elon Musk: The first Tesla Roadster we sold was 'completely unsafe'

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Speaking of the Roadster, anyone see this a couple days ago?

Elon Musk: The first Tesla Roadster we sold was 'completely unsafe'

The way I read that, the car was horribly engineered and rushed to market with a huge bucket of hype. Not necessarily "unsafe", although that maybe was a slip on his part. Maybe he meant unsafe for his and his company's reputation.

"He noted that the vehicle broke down all the time, tended to get "stuck" in second gear, and was primarily "hand-built.""

Sounds like an early seventies Triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    seventies Triumph.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Dude, that is like so eighties. Get your decades down.

Dude, that is like so eighties. Get your decades down.
    'Triumph is a Canadian hard rock power trio that was popular in the late 1970s through the 1980s.'
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    I think he is suffering from meglomaniac disease...the crippler of billionaires.
    Does he ski? Is he a narskissist as well?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    'Triumph is a Canadian hard rock power trio that was popular in the late 1970s through the 1980s.'
    Um, yeah. Popular. Maybe in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    My perspective.
    This is correct, I was oversimplifying for the sake of brevity. Obviously all the ICE vehicles on the road aren't going to disappear overnight and there will be a niche market for enthusiasts for a long time. For new vehicles rolling off assembly lines though, ICEs will get dropped like a hot potato.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

The under the hood views and conversation will be very different from how we look at a 1962 Ferrari at a similar show right now that's for sure. "Oh, I see the original owner went with the black colored battery pack. Interesting. Who wants another glass of rosé"?
    As a car guy who occasionally goes to car shows and car museums, I hadn't thought of this.

Do Tesla batteries have the same vulnerabilities to temperature extremes and battery depletion? Will it lose half of its range in a cold-soak?

Here in SoCal it's tempting. I'm considering adding solar panels to my house at some point, and a Tesla home battery sounds like a nice way to bank power. Right now I have a very short commute, but were I to transfer airports that wouldn't be the case anymore and electric vehicles have free access to carpool lanes.

OK found all this in that other Tesla thread
    http://www.hybridcars.com/tesla-mode...-cold-weather/
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 06-03-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Buddy from L.A. at U of A had the What About Bob Grand Wagoneer. He had to carry gas cans in the back to make it home because there was a 115 mile stretch with no gas and he had a range of about 105 miles.

When is he gonna revolutionize the golf cart industry?
    Friend of mine had a 1977 with a wide track and a 3 inch riser kit. It had an aftermarket 40 gallon tank, and it needed it.

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2016/06/we...imulation.html

"Elon Musk, the billionaire inventor and amateur futurologue, has recently taken to the idea that we may all be living in a simulation akin to Second Life. He has been influenced in his thinking by the philosopher Nick Bostrom, though something of the latter's rigour has been lost as the argument is translated into a version suitable to capture the imagination of a global 'thought leader', who, in turn, is positioned to get the rest of us talking about it. Of course some of us can remember talking about it before either of these men forced it into the zeitgeist, perhaps in an informal setting where the exploratory mood was enhanced by a joint and we found ourselves starting our sentences with, "Whoah, what if, like..." But now the adventure of ideas, of which any stoner is capable, and indeed of which our ancestors millennia before the invention of video games were capable, has been given weight by the interest of an Oxford philosopher, and cachet by the derivative interest of a rich person. And now when people talk about it they will not say, "Whoah, what if, like..." and they will probably not have a joint in hand. They will soberly, straight-facedly say to their coworkers, "I read this one expert who..." or, more succinctly, "They say that..." "

I know a guy who bought both a Tesla Model X and a new Ferrari California T last week. I guess he's keeping his bases covered.

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2016/06/we...imulation.html

"Elon Musk, the billionaire inventor and amateur futurologue, has recently taken to the idea that we may all be living in a simulation akin to Second Life. [...]. And now when people talk about it they will not say, "Whoah, what if, like..." and they will probably not have a joint in hand. They will soberly, straight-facedly say to their coworkers, "I read this one expert who..." or, more succinctly, "They say that..." "
    Musk's statement is that the odds of RL being a sim is 1 in several billion. Similar to saying, it's an extremely remote possibility that I do not profess to understand completely. By any means. Taking it for more than that is an exercise in foolish extrapolation and misinterpretation.

Whoa. Don't kill my buzz, dude.