Steve Jobs was not a scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Steve Jobs was not a scientist.
    Neither is Elon Musk. Your point?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Neither is Elon Musk. Your point?

Musk graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Physics, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the Wharton School. The two majors speak to the direction Musk’s career would take later, but it was physics that made the deepest impression on his thinking.

“(Physics is) a good framework for thinking,” he’d later say. “Boil things down to their fundamental truths and reason up from there.”

Musk was 24 years old when he moved to California to pursue a PhD in applied physics at Stanford University.

Musk graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Physics, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the Wharton School. The two majors speak to the direction Musk’s career would take later, but it was physics that made the deepest impression on his thinking.

“(Physics is) a good framework for thinking,” he’d later say. “Boil things down to their fundamental truths and reason up from there.”

Musk was 24 years old when he moved to California to pursue a PhD in applied physics at Stanford University.
    Says engineer anywhere I can find.

Dont know where this wiki gets it's info..Stanford was 2 whole days

Edit sorry does say wharton econ, and some other upenn college for physics, but didn't get a PhD and still states engineer as his "title"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

Says engineer anywhere I can find.
    So you really have no idea what a scientist is or does.

Well engineers and scientists can have crossover but are hardly mutually exclusive. I just went by the wiki saying "engineer" my bad...

I guess I might ask if you think Elon would call himself a scientist? Sure bachelor's in physics, but does that really mean "scientist"? Sure I guess technically, though double major. He was a coder at heart, and apparently has a knack and interest in physics. Gave up the phd pretty fast when code and a great idea came along. Very smart man no question.

I guess I might ask if you think Elon would call himself a scientist? Sure bachelor's in physics, but does that really mean "scientist"? Sure I guess technically, though double major. He was a coder at heart, and apparently has a knack and interest in physics. Gave up the phd pretty fast when code and a great idea came along. Very smart man no question.

What is your trade or expertise? Have you spent any time around technology businesses?

Software development is science.

Honestly, I don’t think you know what science even is. It sounds like you think it’s white coats and breaker jars.

Is Sergey Brin a scientist?

What is your trade or expertise? Have you spent any time around technology businesses?

Honestly, I don’t think you know what science even is. It sounds like you think it’s white coats and breaker jars.

Software development is an art that requires knowledge of computer science.

Computer science otoh... well that's another discussion.

Elon Musk: Smartest Guy in The World or Complete Clown?

Was going to post some software architecture. Which is science. Carry on

Yea I get it. It really breaks down to if (or not) one believes that formal science is a real science.

From wiki

"straightly speaking, formal science is not a science. It is a formal logical system with its content targeted at the real things, information and thoughts that we experienced"

Edit-> Posted before your edit.

Well the solar roofing shingles are stone cold cool but fuggin expensive. Theoretically the math can work most places over the long term, but you gotta be there a long time to get to that point. Like 20 years or more. They might help with resale value though, which would make the math better.

I hardly consider my father a scientist but he's a software designer. I am a sys admin and none of my dev peers would call themselves scientists. Maybe you work with some snooty software guys. And yeah when I think of scientist, like many others I'm sure, first people that come to mind are Einstein's and Tesla's, but you're right technically speaking.

I dunno I think you need test tubes to be a scientist. And Bunsen burners. White jackets too.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I hardly consider my father a scientist but he's a software designer. I am a sys admin and none of my dev peers would call themselves scientists. Maybe you work with some snooty software guys. And yeah when I think of scientist, like many others I'm sure, first people that come to mind are Einstein's and Tesla's, but you're right technically speaking.

Maybe ask your dad if he thinks Elon Musk qualifies as a Scientist. Musk is a physicist mathematician. Same as Einstein.

Maybe ask your dad if he thinks Elon Musk qualifies as a Scientist. Musk is a physicist mathematician. Same as Einstein.
    Lol same as Einstein....hahahahah. Hardly. dude got a bachelors of science from UPenn that was a double major with business..sure he's smart, but hardly Einstein...they may hold the same degree, but followed a much different path. When musk comes up with something like the theory of relativity instead of just spending money to build cool shit I might call him a scientist. Musk has the "real" scientists doing the work for him. I'm sure it helps that he at least understands it. He has much much smarter people than himself working for him .

Lololol

There's a level of understanding you're missing. Of the people I've known who've spent time with both it had never sounded like there's a legit comparison between the two.

By that logic
    Pio = Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Lololol

There's a level of understanding you're missing. Of the people I've known who've spent time with both it had never sounded like there's a legit comparison between the two.

By that logic
    Pio = Antonin Scalia
    Least someone gets the difference.

Lol same as Einstein....hahahahah. Hardly. dude got a bachelors of science from UPenn that was a double major with business..sure he's smart, but hardly Einstein...they may hold the same degree, but followed a much different path. When musk comes up with something like the theory of relativity instead of just spending money to build cool shit I might call him a scientist. Musk has the "real" scientists doing the work for him. I'm sure it helps that he at least understands it. He has much much smarter people than himself working for him .

Lololol

By that logic
    Pio = Antonin Scalia
    Let's say Hyperloop works.

I was at Cape Kennedy on business once and the dude we were meeting with told us his wife put rockets into space stating, "I married a rocket scientist." Based on that, I assume anyone who can send rockets into space, especially people who can bring boosters back down to landing pads simultaneously.... they must be janitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    TSLA's CFO mos def a scientist.
    In the sense a good car salesman might be?

Lololol

By that logic
    Pio = Antonin Scalia
    pio is upside down, not six feet under

Let's say Hyperloop works.
    Did he actually invent it or come up with the idea and task some smart dudes to make it work? We're still talking a big "if" there though.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I was at Cape Kennedy on business once and the dude we were meeting with told us his wife put rockets into space stating, "I married a rocket scientist." Based on that, I assume anyone who can send rockets into space, especially people who can bring boosters back down to landing pads simultaneously.... they must be janitors.

In the sense a good car salesman might be?
    Lol the fact that people think musk himself made the plans for the rockets is the funneh. He came up with the idea, tossed a ton of cash at it and made it happen. This does not mean he made the plans for any of those rockets. Id bet that there were/are many scientists that had that idea well before musk..money made it happen. Musk has a lot of money. if you can link to where that is, in fact, the case I'll gladly eat crow.

Bill gates company makes and comes up with a lot of products. Bill gates graduated from no college. Is he a "scientist"? As in computer scientist? He holds no degree, yet invented the operating system in use nearly everywhere.
    EDIT here...looks like hyperloop isn't really musks as I guessed. He has the cash though..

https://www.quora.com/Who-invented-t...tual-inventors

Elon Musk: Smartest Guy in The World or Complete Clown?

Lol the fact that people think musk himself made the plans for the rockets is the funneh.
    While you are out sucking the vape pen.

http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/f...loop_alpha.pdf

Anyone can have an idea or theory. It takes real (scientific) skill to put a theory into practical planning.

I suspect Musk white paper is the reason millions are being invested.