Thread: Get Forked

Get Forked

Anyone ridden the Yari? Lyrik chassis with the same air spring and rebound circuit. The Motion Control IS supposedly tuned to match the feel of Charger.

Less expensive....so what's not to love here?

Why spend the extra money on a Charger damper?

If the Motion Control IS sucks what's stopping one from buying the old Lyric RC2DH damper and dropping it in? They can be found online for about $80.

Interesting. Are all the 27.5 Yari's from 120mm to 180mm the same chassis with travel adjusters, or are there different chassis's?

I guess one issue with the old lyric damper might be they topped out at 170mm travel (I think?) in the 26" lowers, so they'd probably be limited to 150 or 160mm max in the taller 27.5" lowers?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

If the Motion Control IS sucks what's stopping one from buying the old Lyric RC2DH damper and dropping it in?

Different topcap threads and total length. I have no idea but I'd double check before just thinking that's an option.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Different topcap threads and total length. I have no idea but I'd double check before just thinking that's an option.
    One the spring side the old Lyrik coil is a direct drop in, no thread or topcap issues.

Would certainly need to look into it further.

But has anyone ridden one with the updated Motion Control IS?

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Interesting. Are all the 27.5 Yari's from 120mm to 180mm the same chassis with travel adjusters, or are there different chassis's?

I guess one issue with the old lyric damper might be they topped out at 170mm travel (I think?) in the 26" lowers, so they'd probably be limited to 150 or 160mm max in the taller 27.5" lowers?
    I think it's all the shame chassis as far as I can tell they just use different length rods on the air shaft for travel. The service manual just calls out 180mm of oil in the damper for all travel options.

Oil levels in the old Lyric RC2DH was 190something for the 170mm and 180something for the 160mm forks. From memory of poking around old threads I think 193mm and 187mm.

If you don't like it, couldn't you send it to Avy? You'd end up with the same fork as an Avy'd Lyrik, no?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    One the spring side the old Lyrik coil is a direct drop in, no thread or topcap issues.

Would certainly need to look into it further.

But has anyone ridden one with the updated Motion Control IS?
    But that's just a spring right? You wouldn't need the different year top cap, just use the one from your existing fork. Dampers are usually attached to the top cap. Or are you talking about the old spring top cap screwing into the new lyriks?

Just something to look into.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Or...take an old Lyrik, drop in a Charger damper and Pike air topcap/bottomless token setup.

If it would work with your wheelsize and travel needs, that is.

Did that to my old Lyrik on the front of the Nomadc3. Turns it into a very nice fork for way less $$$ than a whole new fork.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Franken fork.

Only reason I am thinking of the old RC2DH over the Charger is it's cheaper upgrade if the MoCo IS sucks. For $50 you might be able to swap out the MoCo IS to the better RC2. We know the chassis, air spring and rebound are good in the Yari, just a bit of an unknown and untunable damper.

I am cheap and I like modified stuff.