Lander MTB Trip?

Headed to Lander WY for the holiday weekend with a few other professional losers from TGR for a bit of biking, camping, and general haberdashery. Thinking best spot to group camp is up by Frye Lake at the top of the Catalyst DH. Any better ideas? Seems like some awesome riding up that way between Catalyst and Landerchelada. Likely hit Johnny Behind the Rocks or Bus Loops for some desert riding.

Anybody else ridden out there much or have recs on eating/groceries/camping/riding?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Don't miss Gannett Grill for pizza and sandwiches and beer. Or Cowfish next door for "fancier" eats.

Too bad you'll miss the beer fest by a week. If you're so inclined to stay in town, there's free camping in the city park.

If it gets warm, be heads up for rattlesnakes. Also heads up for highway patrol from Dubois down.

Here's a second vote for Lander Bar/ Gannett Grill. Great beer, eats, deck for post-riding.

You gonna ride the Dubois overlook trails on your way over?

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    If it gets warm, be heads up for rattlesnakes. Also heads up for highway patrol from Dubois down.

Here's a second vote for Lander Bar/ Gannett Grill. Great beer, eats, deck for post-riding.

You gonna ride the Dubois overlook trails on your way over?
    Good to know. I am generally poor at snake management. Will keep the tents zipped!!

I rode the new Dubois trail a few weeks ago and had a blast, real playful trail with a host of really fun jumps and berms. The main jump line is as smooth as a skatepark. Will hit it either on the way there or way back.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

It's more local than you might expect. The nolsies get fed at their own picnics.

Just stop by The Bike Mill and hit Rio up for trail beta. He'll steer you right.
    However many are in a shit ton.

3-year bump.
    Looking for a 4/5 day destination not ridiculously far from SLC that would work for myself and Ms Boissal, meaning combining good rocks and good trails (esp. now that she's basically quit climbing). I've climbed around Lander a bunch but never biked, it looks like there's a fair amount to do. We'd probably stick around Sinks Canyon for rock as I imagine the Iris is still buried... Is there enough to keep a couple of wheeled beater entertained for 4 or 5 rides? Recommended trails/loops?

Same advice I gave in ‘16: call the bike mill. Tell them you’re a climber. Ask how the riding is.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is there good riding around lander proper? Looks like all the cool shit is wilderness.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Lander MTB Trip?

A few years ago, the guys from The Bike Mill started working on a shuttleable downhill trail at the top of Sinks Canyon. Plus a couple other trails in that zone.
    There’s always been riding around The Bus area, very close to town.
    Johnny Behind The Rocks is another XC network South East of town.
    But yea, I only climbed when I was spending time up there. Back then Rio was a climber first, mtber second. Now he owns the bike shop and is doing a lot of trail advocacy and building up the bike scene.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    A few years ago, the guys from The Bike Mill started working on a shuttleable downhill trail at the top of Sinks Canyon. Plus a couple other trails in that zone.
    There’s always been riding around The Bus area, very close to town.
    Johnny Behind The Rocks is another XC network South East of town.
    But yea, I only climbed when I was spending time up there. Back then Rio was a climber first, mtber second. Now he owns the bike shop and is doing a lot of trail advocacy and building up the bike scene.

Cool thanks.

I was looking at a job out there a while back and other than johnny behind the rocks it didn't look like there was jack shit around there. Just the mighty wind river wilderness on anything with any vert.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Brewers Trail is supposed to be good, as is Sheeps Bridge Middle Fork, but from TrailForks it sounds like they're still a ways out from being snow free. They both start around 9000' and descend to Sinks Canyon. Looks like you could shuttle them or ride up Brewers. The Bus loops and Johnny behind the rocks are both fun for a few hours of riding, but not much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Brewers Trail is supposed to be good, as is Sheeps Bridge Middle Fork, but from TrailForks it sounds like they're still a ways out from being snow free. They both start around 9000' and descend to Sinks Canyon. Looks like you could shuttle them or ride up Brewers. The Bus loops and Johnny behind the rocks are both fun for a few hours of riding, but not much more than that.
    Yeah that's what I'm gathering... I know Wild Iris is barely climbable and it's at the same elevation.
    It's already 98 degrees in St George so going S isn't viable. Shite.

Pocatello?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Pocatello?
    Almost went there last weekend (almost went to Lander too) and did some research. It looks like there's some fun trails there and probably worth a weekend. Not much rock climbing though.

Pocatello has some short basalt pitches in town near the zoo. Not worth a trip on its own but good as a bike/climb option. Plus City of Rocks is down the road and has rad climbing.