Leavenworth Pebble Wrestling

I'm thinking about heading out to Leavenworth to sample the bouldering for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. I'm in dire need of beta about the bouldering and the area in general. I'll be looking over the Mountain Project online info. We'd be looking to camp close to the boulders and away from a developed camping area although if that's what it takes it's fine as well. I'm not looking to blow up anyones secret spot so PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks for the help.

Is purchasing the guidebook worth it or is the info on Mountain Project sufficient?

sorry for the late reply but good bouldering up on Asgard pass above colchuck lake

All right I'm resurrecting this thread as it looks like the friendly states of Washington and Oregon are on the list for our April climbing vacation. We'll probably hit up Smith first and then head over to boulder after that. It looks like the established camp sites up Icicle Creek are the way to go. Any reccomendations for rest day activities or places in town to eat or grab a beer would be appreciated. Thanks.

This will help me better answer your questions: How many days? Tent or Camper/RV? Do you want to walk to climbing or do you mind driving? What grade do you like to boulder? Do you have a tarp or awning?

In April, 8 Mile or Bridge Creek are going to be the places to be. They are the closest to the climbing. Any of the good dispersed camping is probably snowed in. You might consider bringing ski gear, sometimes the weather is crap in the mornings so you could go ski up at Stevens or Mission in the morning and then climb in the afternoon. There is going to be a lot of snow in April based on the current snowpack.

Icicle Brewery is the local hang out. Blewett Brewing is pretty good too but doesn't have the hangout atmosphere. Food in Leavenworth is pretty meh, although I like Fresh Burger. Muchen Haus is the classic for beer and brauts. Andreas Keller if you want the "authentic" bavarian experience. Best food and atmosphere is really Wenatchee, downtown/riverfront is nice with lots of good food and beer options.

Let me know if you've got any other questions. Lived here for a while, so I probably know what you want to know. Down for a beer if you want. Happy to take touring/lift skiing or hike. Personally don't climb much anymore but I might be persuaded to show you some spots.

We should be there for a week at least and possibly two (weather depending). We're planning on climbing at Smith Rock for two or three weeks before (weather depending). We'll be in a tent or sleeping in a minivan and we don't mind driving a little bit especially depending on if we have to pay to camp. V8 in a day and maybe projecting a bit harder for me and a grade or two lower for the lady. If I need to tarp/awning my project we're driving somewhere dryer.

I don't think we'll bring the skis as she's recovering from a torn mcl and I'd prefer to climb than ski and take rest days as slow and safe as possible. We'll check out Wenatchee as well.

Also, any recommendations on weed shops in the area and Bend/Redmond would be appreciated as we'll be climbing at Smith as well.

Thanks.

The Leavenworth Bouldering book is totally worth it. Leavenworth Mountain Sports in Leavenworth is also a great resource. They've given me printouts of specific boulders before when I've forgotten the book and they rent pads as well

Thanks for sharing

leavenworth mountain sports has gone out of business:
    that is all ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

In general, climbing guidebooks are always worth it. Trying to find beta online is difficult and often results in getting lost.

Der Town is open, sort of ....
    each business seems to have a slightly different strategy
    for handling Charlie one-nine:
    take-out only, limited seating, shorter hours
    expect waiting in line for popular venues

the parking lot above Barney's Rubble was deserted all week
    Playground Point was more active
    im going back as soon as my fingertips stop bleeding

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson