Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SUP

SUP

Great possibility we might be moving to Chicago and thinking a SUP to fish local lakes and places in MN and WI for bass, pan fish, northerns, etc. Read all 6 pages of the SUP thread from a few years back and didn't get much from it other than its gay. Have SUP before but not while chucking flies, pretty sure I'll like it and much more appreciate standing vs sitting in a kayak. Also would use to just SUP and maybe take one of the kids with me fishing. Don't want to spend more than ~$1500 all in. So, looking for recommendations on boards, inflatable vs traditional, good paddle, etc. right now have looked at the below 4 that I'm interested in:

-Bote HD 10'6"
    -Imagine Surf V2 Wizard Angler...seems a bit heavy
    -CA Board Co. Angler
    -Creek Co Osprey Inflatible Fishing SUP

What say ya? I know SFB goes after the carps on a few, just need to get a translator sometimes to understand it.

local shop has a few of these on display and they have always looked like a good idea http://www.diablopaddlesports.com/

I've been wanting one of these for a while

I like the transformable split tail option and the casting bar
    Plus a kayak is much faster and has space for gear = gets used more

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/

Think I'm in the camp of more paddle board less kayak. I would like to SUP for some exercise/ just get in the water plus we've got young kids so my days of 6+ hrs on the water are gone for now. It's basically weekend warrior status at dawn patrol so most of the time water will be mostly calm. Fairly stoked about this purchase, have never really owned "watercraft" always a renter.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    from last weeks inflatable sup thread
    pretty stoked on the dozen days i have on the boardworks mcit bad fish model

definatey an upgrade from the imagine surf green machine which took a hdpe lickin and keeps tickin for 2 seasons

in weight ,manuverability, rocker, and about as stabile
    haven't gotton er on the rivers yet but stoked on it as a fishin platform
    kinda wish i'd gone badfisher model but rei didn't carry that model and i wanted the return every item option
    i dig bote stuff an if had the loot n time i'da gone that route the badfish has a badfisher model with more tiedowns
    the model i got was within your price range
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks SFB, good feedback

I'm casually shopping for one also. For me it would be Bote, Pathfinder, or badfisher. Maybe the Bote Drift? I like the metal thing to lean against for casting.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Meeting a guy on Saturday to look at his used Jackson Superfishal. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Conundrum; 06-06-2016 at 10:51 PM.

As a follow up, I ended up buying the Superfishal it's pretty cool. It's well thought out, rod sleeves, slanted paddle holder, tie downs, ram mounts for rod holders, stable, etc. Cons-it's heavy and awkward to carry and pretty slow.

I ended up buying it and can see some overnights, fishing, taking the dogs on the lake in my future.

sidebar: wondering what the appeal is for fishing?

SUP

I fish from my SOP kayak all the time, and would love to stand up to spot fish and/or cast. An inflatable would be almost as cool performance-wise, and you could take it in a plane trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    As a follow up, I ended up buying the Superfishal it's pretty cool. It's well thought out, rod sleeves, slanted paddle holder, tie downs, ram mounts for rod holders, stable, etc. Cons-it's heavy and awkward to carry and pretty slow.

I ended up buying it and can see some overnights, fishing, taking the dogs on the lake in my future.
    Djou get the red one?

If you plan on using one in MN, its considered a watercraft and therefore must have registration numbers on it and a PFD for all occupants. Enjoy your stay, and don't forget to check the fishing regs for the lake your fishing as many lake have their own rules.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

^^ good call, after I buy I will be taking to MN so good to know albeit as a visitor of the state but will want to check the regs regardless

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    sidebar: wondering what the appeal is for fishing?
    I thought the same thing. I bought it because my girlfriend is laid up this summer with a pending knee surgery so we're pretty limited on stuff to do together-backpacking and mountain biking are out. We had one inflatable and I found a good deal deal on this orange one just to have two. After trying it for fishing, I'm pretty stoked. You can stand or sit with a cooler strapped on the deck. You can see the water a lot better and cast standing. I haven't tried yet but I think you could easily take it down class I/II. I haven't owned a fishing kayak but I'm guessing this is easier to transport too.

Yeah, we have to follow non-motorized boat rules so you have to have a whistle, pfd on board and an invasive species sticker which are not a big deal because I already have both of those for my raft so I lash that to the front and I'm legal.

A rookie SUP question....

Must these things always cost around a grand (or more)? They seem like pretty simple devices, and yeah there's a bunch of material in there but I don't need a SUP made of some crazy space-age material. I've been idly looking around for one or maybe two for the family place on the lake in Maine. I'd enjoy it for fishing and messing around, but that's a week per summer tops. My brother's family would use it at least a bit through the summer though, so I might as well get something half decent. Seems like that'll run me around $1k, but I'm surprised by that. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any info...

I bought mine used for $550 on craigslist. Look around a bit more and you don't have to spend a grrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Great possibility we might be moving to Chicago and thinking a SUP to fish local lakes and places in MN and WI for bass, pan fish, northerns, etc. it.

I live in the western burbs and went to a SUP demo last week, put on by these guys.
    http://www.questwatersports.com

They do fishing charters for $100/4 hours and they supply everything. Talked to the guide and he seemed like a good dude.

Thanks, will check them out. We head up on Sat to look for homes, looking out in the Barrington area...stoked to get a house on some land.

Barrington eh.....

Yep although not sure what that means. Guess I'll find out

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Yep although not sure what that means. Guess I'll find out
    It's nice, maybe somewhat pretentious. Where you going to work?

I know a brain surgeon that loves to fish and travels all over. Says the bass fishing in Oak Brook is the best he's ever found, because nobody fishes there.

Barrington means a long commute to Chicago and mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    A rookie SUP question....

Must these things always cost around a grand (or more)? They seem like pretty simple devices, and yeah there's a bunch of material in there but I don't need a SUP made of some crazy space-age material. I've been idly looking around for one or maybe two for the family place on the lake in Maine. I'd enjoy it for fishing and messing around, but that's a week per summer tops. My brother's family would use it at least a bit through the summer though, so I might as well get something half decent. Seems like that'll run me around $1k, but I'm surprised by that. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any info...
    I've always had the same question. Years ago I had a big old sailboard. Was one of the big ones. Could stand on it and was pretty stable. I'd look around and find one sitting in someone's back yard and get it cheap. Like <$100.