Shopping for a new 5wt...

I currently use a trusty Reddington CT and an Orvis Clearwater reel, so a fairly cheap setup.
    Although the CT gets good reviews for the price, I'd like to buy a better rod. I'm a cheap ass, but I can afford to, so why not treat myself for busting my nuts working.
    Anyway have looked at some of the "shootouts" and reviews. I was pretty settled on a Douglas DFX (cheap ass), then thought that the Loop might be the ticket though more expensive. Then I'm like, wtf go big and get one of the $700+ Mac daddy's.
    Now I'm back to the Loop range.
    I fish (rarely) in the Southeast. I'll use it for trout obviously but also smallmouth and some largemouth on ponds. I know a 5# isn't ideal for throwing the big LMB bugs, but I can manage with my CT although it isn't great. I have thoughts of getting a cheaper 7/8# set up for bass, depending on how much I spend on the 5#. Ideally I'd like to use the 5wt for everything. I do not get to fish that much.
    I've got a CT #3 for small streams.
    Any thoughts on one of the midpriced rods vs the more upper echelons like the Loomis nrx? Is the extra $200 worth it?
    I'm not looking to impress anyone as I fish alone.
    Last edited by KenJongIll; 05-18-2016 at 08:35 AM.

I'm not sold on Loop, never been a fan of US prices for Asian rods. Douglas long term viability in the fly market remains to be seen which would make me think twice warranty wise.

I would check out the Orvis Recon, Sage Pulse, and Winston Nexus for nice mid ranged rods. For high end you can't really beat a ONE or Helios 2.

Have you looked at st croix?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I'm not sold on Loop, never been a fan of US prices for Asian rods. Douglas long term viability in the fly market remains to be seen which would make me think twice warranty wise.

I would check out the Orvis Recon, Sage Pulse, and Winston Nexus for nice mid ranged rods. For high end you can't really beat a ONE or Helios 2.
    What is your opinion of Temple Fork with this criteria?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

what about moving from a 5 to a 6? It's my go to for small mouth and I use it some for largemouth. Not crazy overkill for trout depending on the situation and you'll still have your old 5 and your 3 if you think it's too much.

someone posted this link on another forum recently to point out the TFO BVK 6wt for $150. I've not thrown that rod in a 6 but it is my 8 and I really like it.
    I really like my winston passport 6wt. The don't make that one anymore, not sure how it compares to the nexus but I'd want to check one out if I was in the market.

I dig my 5wt tfo bvk. I think a 6wt of it would be nice for a solid nymph/light streamer stick. My old lady has a couple of echos that are pretty sweet as well. Both have pretty excellent warranty for when a car door, vacuum, or fire happen to attack your rod. If you're throwing dries more, than I look elsewhere although I do throw em with the 5. This is all for sw mt rivers though.

Edit: even though all the dentists seem to need that $800 rod, if you know how to cast worth a shit then the mid range stuff is just fine.

Thanks for the replies...not quite a dentist (almost), but im really finding myself wanting to make up for my lack of penis size and casting ability with a pimp $700 rod. Again it's only for my ego as I have no fishing partners....Yo North Carolina and TN folks!

I was in your situation with ability to afford something nice but didn't want to unless it was something I fell in love with. I don't know your ability but I cast the H2 and recon and while the H2 was amazing for my ability it did not seem that much better than Recon. While I still lust over the H2 since I am a gear nut I'm really glad I went with the Recon. Allowed me to get a Recon #5 and a Recon #7.

I use the Recon #5 as my go-to trout rod. I still use the Recon for small poppers and streamers on Stillwater and while it's not always the prettiest it gets the job done. I use the #7 for large streamers and big poppers but have not had much time with it but the thing is a cannon. I personally saw less difference in the H2/Recon in the #7 than the #5. I have a #3 Clearwater for small stream fishing.

*just a hack's opinion that knows nothing about SE fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Thanks for the replies...not quite a dentist (almost), but im really finding myself wanting to make up for my lack of penis size and casting ability with a pimp $700 rod. Again it's only for my ego as I have no fishing partners....Yo North Carolina and TN folks!
    If you are going to go full dentist pimp I would second Snapt, Sage One is stiff enough to chase the bass but delicate enough to throw dries at the trouts
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Sage ONE 5wt don't work
    -10 foot is dumb

the BVK is a really nice casting rod (pretty fast) but they are not the most durable rod out there. I broke mine 2 or 3 times while I owned it. Their warranty is great but I'd rather have something a little more durable. The other TFO rods that I own/have owned have been bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    the BVK is a really nice casting rod (pretty fast) but they are not the most durable rod out there. I broke mine 2 or 3 times while I owned it. Their warranty is great but I'd rather have something a little more durable. The other TFO rods that I own/have owned have been bomber.
    That's interesting. I know several guys who have the BVK, just bought an 8wt, and have had zero issues. Hopefully I won't need to use the warranty. How did you break it?

not dfinn, but I broke mine while trying to yank a stuck fly out of a bush (I know, I know). It was also the rod I learned to cast big flies far(ish) with so it had taken about 8,000 shots with lead eyes and other assorted weights before that.

When I was a shop rat we sold a ton of BVK's and warrantied a ton. They're sweet for the $, but especially in the bigger sizes not as durable. Mostly had 8's and 9's came back from striper guys. They're warranty service is top notch though so if you're not afraid to bust a rod every so often not a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That's interesting. I know several guys who have the BVK, just bought an 8wt, and have had zero issues. Hopefully I won't need to use the warranty. How did you break it?
    Once was casting, I don't recall hitting the tip with a streamer or anything but it snapped. Another time was a complete mystery but it was in the boat so someone may have leaned on it or bumped it.

This is from a couple of years ago but check out the comments on the BVK. I'm not the only one to have issues.
    http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ind...rsons-comments

Mine was a 6wt and this was a few years back so who knows, maybe none of this applies anymore.

Like I said though, great rod and their warranty is hard to beat. Just something to consider.

Cool. Read that one and the '16 shootout, that was why I bought it. So far so good.

That is interesting. They actually upgraded me to a bvk when I sent in a shitty lefty kreh(or some low end can't remember) that burnt in a fire. Good to know bout the heavier wts. Only time I'm usually chucking streamers is on my old lady's echo 8wt.

So I had a chance to cast a Winston Boron, a Sage One and a Loomis NRX side by side. Probably not a great test as it was the first time I'd had a flyrod in my hands in quite a while....
    I liked the Loomis, One and Winston in that order...although probably not a fair test.

I've got a lead on a One Elite for $700, lightly used. Can anyone compare that vs a regular one?

I also interested in the Scott Radian, and hope to cast one this weekend. No one here carries them. One shop used to, and I found out they put them all on clearance at 50% off....

50% off a Radian, you say? I'll gladly make it worth your while should they have a 9' in a 6 or 7 wt.... Anyhoo, love my Radian 9' 5wt. Not quite as delicate as a Winston for small stream dry fly fishing IMO, but casts like a laser-guided, rocket-propelled, grin-inducing dream from 20' to 50'. Sometimes it doesn't even seem fair.

ONE elite is the same save for a titanium reel seat and an extra tip section. 50% off a Radian is a good deal....

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    That is interesting. They actually upgraded me to a bvk when I sent in a shitty lefty kreh(or some low end can't remember) that burnt in a fire.
    Was it a bunch of used section pieced together from customers returns? I kid, I kid. mostly.

Oh they are long gone. Didn't begin my quest until too late. Was kind of,disheartening to hear.