Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pools

Pools

So my fiancée and I are close to buying a new home in the mid Atlantic area. Tomorrow evening, we are looking at a potentially good deal on a Cape Cod style construction. I just checked the birds eye view of it on Zillow and realized it has a pool.

We have talked in the past about how it would be nice to have one, but also realize that means upkeep and maintenance. I don't mind that necessarily. It's more about cost.

How much is it per month or year?

Who has a pool? Do you enjoy it? Is it worth it? Is it a pain in the ass or not so much?

This is not a huge pool, but it is in ground.

Party time!
    watch out for snakes

Hot tubs are betters imho
    watch out for snakes

But they need maintenance too
    watch out for snakes

How old is the pool? It could have leaks, structural cracks, decomposed plumbing, pump problems. Use it has a negative for negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Use it as a negative for negotiation.
    This for sure. Tell 'em you gotta figure in the cost of getting it filled in in your bid on the house. In part because you may well end up having to do just that if it's in rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    How old is the pool? It could have leaks, structural cracks, decomposed plumbing, pump problems. Use it has a negative for negotiation.
    This plus insurance. Our friends had a pool and even with him working for a well service (well versed on that stuff) it was a major pain. If he didn't have the knowledge it would have been a disaster. It also sucked to resell because of the pool.

You planning on having kids? Personally, I'd avoid a house with a pool and kids under ~8 yrs old. Heard too many horror stories of turning your back for 2 seconds and the 5 yr old that could swim drowned. We bought a place where the HOA has a pool, perfect for our needs and none of the upkeep.

Some of my 1st jobs were helping my dad do pool maintenance, as an 8 yr old I could crawl inside a large filter tank, pa made a lot of money fixing pools for dentists & lawyers, run far away from that shit, if you wana SW get in the mini van and drive to the rec center
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Assuming its in good shape, operating costs & maintenance aren't too bad.

We have an 18 x 36 in ground. Pay a guy to open it in the spring and close it up in the fall - $500, maybe $200 for chemicals, guessing $300 for utilities. I clean it and check the chemicals weekly, clean the filter monthly. During the winter pump the water off the cover. That's about it.

Every 5 years or so plan on a major repair/replacement - liner, pump, heater, cover.

Jumping in your pool after cutting grass on a 90 degree / 90% humidity day feels pretty fucking awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1463534738.601625.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	182548

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Assuming its in good shape, operating costs & maintenance aren't too bad.

We have an 18 x 36 in ground. Pay a guy to open it in the spring and close it up in the fall - $500, maybe $200 for chemicals, guessing $300 for utilities. I clean it and check the chemicals weekly, clean the filter monthly. During the winter pump the water off the cover. That's about it.

Every 5 years or so plan on a major repair/replacement - liner, pump, heater, cover.

Jumping in your pool after cutting grass on a 90 degree / 90% humidity day feels pretty fucking awesome.
    So Mrs. Seano and I closed on our dream pad a month ago...... 3/4 acre, horse property, 1/4 mile from the mighty Rio Grande..... And a 20x40 in ground pool that I knew exactly jack shit about....

Adding on to what ski stack said; first thing GET A POOL INSPECTION. We fronted the cost but the seller reimbursed us at closing; this ensures you don't have something catastrophically wrong with the fucking thing. In our case, there were some cosmetic things that needed repair, but overall it was in good shape. We had the pool dude draw up a list, gave it to the sellers, and they agreed to split costs 70/30 ( they covered the 70).

Paid a dude $100 to fire it up, $100 for " pool school", seller left us all the chemicals for this season and then some. And yes, you have to clean it, but to me it's just an extension of my yard. Skim it, vacuum it, keep your levels right and you're good to go. The family is WAY psyched ( my daughters are eleven and can swim like fish), and I'm waiting for the Sunday when we wake up, eat some breakfast, make some bloodies and not do a goddamned thing except lounge till we get hot, then swim till we're tired..... Topless coeds would be sweet too, but........
    Oh, we're planning our grand opening for Memorial Day, so any mags coming through the desert SW, mi casa su casa, just bring the booze........
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Things to get- 2 stage magnetic motor pump, Salt System.

With those 2 things, maintenance is easy. The salt is the way to go.

Don't buy the fanciest pool sucker you see. Get the most basic unit with the least moving parts, and maintain it. It will last forever.

We have a pond.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

FWIW For the last 2 years I've had a small unheated inground pool in a high density urban area. It goes through about 1.5 200g trichlor tablet sper week in the summer and about .5 in the cooler months. The 3/4 hp filter pump runs 4 hrs a day in winter and 8 when its hot.

It's not all that expensive to maintain but vacuuming the bottom is a chore if you do it yourself. Personally if I'd have built the house I'd have rather had the yard space and joined a country club, but again, it's a small yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

You know what's way better than a pool?

A neighbor with a pool.

Pretty sure "pool" makes the top 10 "Shit to Rent, Not Own" list, right up there with boats, strippers, and Ferraris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Pools

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1463567285.427974.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	629.8 KB 
ID:	182569

I love my pool and I'm in it twice day, everyday.
    Mine is open April to October and heating it right now, it's 36f outside, is the biggest expense.

2speed pump is nice, just change it when it goes out. Changing to salt isn't cost effective.

Don't let a pool store sell you a bunch of shit you don't need. Just use plain bleach as a sanitizer.
    There are a bunch of pool web sites that explain everything you will ever need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1463567285.427974.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	629.8 KB 
ID:	182569

I love my pool and I'm in it twice day, everyday.
    Mine is open April to October and heating it right now, it's 36f outside, is the biggest expense.

2speed pump is nice, just change it when it goes out. Changing to salt isn't cost effective.

Don't let a pool store sell you a bunch of shit you don't need. Just use plain bleach as a sanitizer.
    There are a bunch of pool web sites that explain everything you will ever need to know.
    ^^^^^^ Nice.....

A pond would be good for you.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

cuz if it freezes over you can play hockey on it
    watch out for snakes

I've got a pool in FL.

It's a little different down there, as most homes in my area have them.

They all have cages, which help a lot. I also have a guy that services it, since I am not there all year.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

We did a major upgrade a few years ago on the pool and converted to salt at the same time. I think we pay about $75 to open it and close it and we pay $10 per week for them to come and check/add any chemicals. We also use a robot vacuum so maintenance is easy, pretty much just skim it before I close the cover. We do have a ton of trees around the pool area so keeping the cover and deck clean can be a pain in the ass, especially in the spring.
    Now I really need to tear down the garage and pool house and rebuild into one:
    Name:  10341496_10204021605207555_4489948825736962259_n.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  141.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I
    They all have cages, which help a lot.
    I love the cages around the pools. Much more enjoyable.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Buy a skateboard. $100 problem solved.

A pool will most likely raise your homeowners insurance rates.

I would use it as a negotiating tool. Not everyone wants a pool.

I suggest looking for a house where your neighbor has a pool.