Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why does everyone hate Summit County / Eagle County and Denver?

I get it. I70 is a traffic shitshow and the resorts are crowded on the weekends. That shit sucks.

But, I've been a member on this forum for a while now and all the hate for Summit County still baffles me.

I think there is awesome terrain. The lake chutes and the east wall are gnar. Abasin is a cool place that stays open later in the summer than almost any other mountain in the US, with awesome parking lot parties. Even Vail, with all its corporatist bullshit, can be incredible. The back bowls on a good pow day are incredible to ski, and Beaver Creek is a sneakily good mountain. Nevermind the fact that Keystone has one of the best terrain parks in America (if you are into that )

I know the I70 shitshow is a major part of why people hate on Colorado, but the road really isn't bad on the weekdays. I would way rather deal with an hour and a half drive on I70 than the guaranteed 4 hours on I80 from the bay.... Although I will admit that SLC does have a much better commute to the mountains than Denver

I sincerely believe that if you want to live in a major metro area, Denver is hands down the best option. SLC has better access to good skiing, but Denver is a much more vibrant city, and is much more progressive socially and culturally. Plus, the brown cloud in the winter can be absolutely horrific there. Seattle has a lot of things going for it, but the weather would be a big downer for me. San Francisco is an incredible city, but the 4 hour drive to Tahoe puts it in a different ballpark than Denver / SLC / Tahoe. Shit, I was in Tahoe for New Years this year, and I'll admit that Squaw and Kirkwood have some terrain that is arguably better than Summit County, but Heavenly was underwhelming and Northstar was flatter than Keystone.

I also understand that a big part of the hate for the I70 corridor comes from the insane crowds on the weekends. I will admit that Breck on a Saturday can be extremely crowded. The thing is, that if you know how to ski the mountains, you can somewhat avoid the crowds, and crowds on the weekdays are nonexistent. Tahoe over New Years was just as crowded a shitshow as Vail over New Years would have been. Shit, I waited in a 30 minute line once at Alta on a pow day. I'm not hating on either of these areas, just pointing out what I consider to be hypocrisy on these forums.

Living in Denver / Boulder you have unbelievable recreational options within a few hours. Aspen, Crested Butte, Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc, etc. I know Denver and the I70 corridor are not perfect, but I still do not understand why this forum acts like we are worse than the damn east coast.
    Last edited by WTF is dat; 05-15-2016 at 09:16 AM.

you are a real estate agent?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    you are a real estate agent?
    Lmao no, just sticking up for the place I was born and raised, and am genuinely curious why everyone on this forum hates Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Lmao no, just sticking up for the place I was born and raised, and am genuinely curious why everyone on this forum hates Colorado
    No argument here, Summit County is the best.

I love CO.

Summit just has too many people much of the time and the gaper quotient can be quite high.
    Same as most places near a big city.

This has been up for 7 hours and Benny hasn't added his sage wisdom yet? Color me shocked. (I don't have anything substantive to contribute, just observing)

It's no Pitkin Co, but it's 'aight.

If we're ranking counties, I prefer Grand & Routt.
    Best park of Summit/Eagle is Eagles Nest.

Unfortunately too many like Denver and Summit County...that's why it's currently overflowing with people.

Although the local economy is great, the city is bustling. It's pretty cool to see.

Crowds.

this should get interesting

it seams like most people who hate on summit don't even live here and if they did they last a couple weeks or a season, maybe two, don't know where it comes from but it's pretty popular to do, like any place out there it has it's negatives and positives

I've been here a long time now and you just sit back and watch everything with a smirk, peoples attitudes and opinions, the age old question what is a local? How do you become one whats the requirements? People who have stuck it out don't really get caught up in how long they've been around.

it seems to have died down a bit but the "go home gaper" thing was pretty silly and still is, typical I'm better than you I just got here atittude. My favorite was years ago I was strolling down mainstreet at christmas, taking in all the bullshit festive vibe, and the tourists milling around having the time of their lives. Some kids leans out the the second story bar window and yells at me "go home gaper" and continues verbally assaulting me, I had nothing to say, just laughed and smiled.

This is the place where everyone thinks they are bigger and better than they really are

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    what is a local? How do you become one whats the requirements?
    Benny is a local. Just ask him.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im a fishy ski bum if i was a culturally vibrant into social progression spend time on that stuff bum
    being farther way from kick ass skiing and fishing may not bug me
    slc is better geographically located to more diverse outoddor rec ops
    cept nader/storm chasin in nebuttfuckaska
    i blame blurred for your percieved physco ops hate
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

What a pansy. If you like it, fine, that should be good enough. Why bother to explain it to others?

The thing about Colorado is how common it is and how defensive people can be about it. It's the first thing on most SKI Magazine skiers minds as the Promised Land of Snow. My pals who live there love it but they really don't give a shit about whatever Hate you're referring to and you shouldn't either.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Blurred11s and the summit county crew, that's why...
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

I can't "hate" an inanimate object like a geographical region. What I can "dislike" is a certain types of people who seem swarm to to the easily accessible mountain communities in Colorado such as Summit County and, to a lessor extent, Grand County. Those more eloquent than I can probably come up with a better term, but I'll call them Entitled New Age Twats.

The ENATs are generally second home owners, pass holders or some other type of "regulars". They are not gapers, just ask them. They can be characterized by a few personality traits.

1. They are never the cause of the problem, "I can't believe it is so busy on a powder day, where did all these people come from?"

2. Belief that economic reality should be suspended for their convenience, "Why are groceries so much more expensive here than at King Soopers in Lakewood?", "That is way too expensive, I could get my house in Centennial painted for half that!"

3. Philosophy that these mountain communities exist solely to serve them as if the entire county is a Four Seasons. When they roll out on a Sunday evening, they think that the working class will just punch in on Monday and pick up their dog's shit, roll their garbage out to the curb and print some more money to provide whatever service they believe the local tax payers should provide for them.

4. Most importantly they are rarely satisfied and seldom happy. The peasants could always be doing something better for them. They have no soul. The only pleasure they receive is from the self-absorbed feeling that they are getting closer to the center of the universe and that if they keep at it, one day, the earth may truly revolve around them.

For everyone of these ENATS, there are tons of starter jacket wearing families of Nebraskans who drove overnight in a minivan, mellow rich guys with pony tales, regular folks from Thonrton, cowboys eating shit on the ice with their snake skins on, hard working mexicans and all kinds of regular people who are a pleasure to be around.

But these ENATs, it is what make people hate places like Summit County.

thank jah and joesph that we got mo mos and skanky valey air
    and you got legal edibles and the myopic cunt bunny fluffers
    you just described
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    This is the place where everyone thinks they are bigger and better than they really are
    I feel like that attitude is prevalent everywhere these days.

ENATS Are EVERYWHERE.

^^^^ Bumper sticker?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hate is the internet's gift to mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    im a fishy ski bum if i was a culturally vibrant into social progression spend time on that stuff bum
    being farther way from kick ass skiing and fishing may not bug me
    slc is better geographically located to more diverse outoddor rec ops
    cept nader/storm chasin in nebuttfuckaska
    i blame blurred for your percieved physco ops hate
    Yeah I covered this in my original post, if you read it.

SLC has a way better commute to the mountains. But, living in Boulder I have insane fishing / skiing / mtbiking / recreational opportunities at my fingertips. The Indian Peaks Wilderness, RMNP, countless miles of singletrack, all within an hour drive. Shit, there is even lift served skiing 40 minutes from Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

The ENATs are generally second home owners, pass holders or some other type of "regulars". They are not gapers, just ask them. They can be characterized by a few personality traits.

1. They are never the cause of the problem, "I can't believe it is so busy on a powder day, where did all these people come from?"

2. Belief that economic reality should be suspended for their convenience, "Why are groceries so much more expensive here than at King Soopers in Lakewood?", "That is way too expensive, I could get my house in Centennial painted for half that!"

3. Philosophy that these mountain communities exist solely to serve them as if the entire county is a Four Seasons. When they roll out on a Sunday evening, they think that the working class will just punch in on Monday and pick up their dog's shit, roll their garbage out to the curb and print some more money to provide whatever service they believe the local tax payers should provide for them.

4. Most importantly they are rarely satisfied and seldom happy. The peasants could always be doing something better for them. They have no soul. The only pleasure they receive is from the self-absorbed feeling that they are getting closer to the center of the universe and that if they keep at it, one day, the earth may truly revolve around them.

For everyone of these ENATS, there are tons of starter jacket wearing families of Nebraskans who drove overnight in a minivan, mellow rich guys with pony tales, regular folks from Thonrton, cowboys eating shit on the ice with their snake skins on, hard working mexicans and all kinds of regular people who are a pleasure to be around.

But these ENATs, it is what make people hate places like Summit County.
    wow, don't know what to say, that was interesting to say the least, I guess there is a lot of people like that around here, but I don't pay much attention to them, occasionally they show their stupidity but I just laugh a guess, we have a whole foods now, lets just say...........

my all time favorite though

was sitting at the bar getting hammered during the busy season must have been four or so deep behind me waiting for drinks, some guy is waiving his money in the air and the bartender keeps ignoring him, finally he starts stomping on the floor, blown away, guess some people never get out or they are just assholes

so why does the fact that some people hate, i'm super content with my location and could possiby be as content in brolorado as it is
    make you so fuckin butthurt despite the insane shizz within an hour?
    and your missing the aint much to the east worth drivin and all the cool shit wests farther geographic point

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    so why does the fact that some people hate, i'm super content with my location and could possiby be as content in brolorado as it is
    make you so fuckin butthurt despite the insane shizz within an hour?
    and your missing the aint much to the east worth drivin and all the cool shit wests farther geographic point
    No butthurt with me, I got drunk in the sun skiing at a basin yesterday.
    I am just calling out what I perceive as hypocrisy regarding summit county.

It is odd that you are claiming you could be happy in Colorado when I have seen you talk shit about Summit County numerous times on this forum.
    Last edited by WTF is dat; 05-16-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Lived in the Denver Metro area and skied SuCo for over twenty years before moving to the Durango area last fall. I was never a "local" but I loved skiing there and was fortunate to get to know a bunch of great people who love to ski and love where they live...I miss them all but when we made the decision to move to the mountains SuCo never even made the list. To us, it was too much like living in a Denver suburb which, after doing the suburb thing pretty much all our lives we were ready for a change. I'm not knocking it, (well maybe a little) there are benefits to having that many people around but if you can put up with a small level of inconvenience there are many other places that offer just as much for a lot less.

Denver is a great town. Putting aside all the shit that comes along with large, heavily populated metro areas it is by far the best large city I ever lived in and never regretted once moving there. Great jobs, great people and a cool, active vibe that most big cities think they have but don't even come close. Perfect place for a young person to set up camp for awhile and make some money before they decide what to do when they grow up.
    The Sheriff is near!