Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    One of the best things about Summit that no one mentions: Lake Dillon. Great to have that all summer.

Why does everyone hate Summit County / Eagle County and Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I think there is awesome terrain. The lake chutes and the east wall are gnar. Abasin is a cool place that stays open later in the summer than almost any other mountain in the US, with awesome parking lot parties. Even Vail, with all its corporatist bullshit, can be incredible. The back bowls on a good pow day are incredible to ski, and Beaver Creek is a sneakily good mountain. Nevermind the fact that Keystone has one of the best terrain parks in America (if you are into that ).
    If the east wall, fingers, rock pile, east vail, etc. all got 500" a year they'd get a ton of attention. But they don't, the skiing can come with a heinous drive, huge crowds at times, a resort "experience" that adds a ton of work before you even get to the lift and the entire bc can be sketchy/wind blown for long stretches of time. There are just so many better places in the country to be a skier.

That's just from a straight up skiing perspective though. Of course there are a million great reasons to live where you do. I grew up in Boulder, lived in Denver and breck for 3 years a piece and would happily do so again if life called for it. Although if I did I'd try and ski with a former mag who's been slaying the gore range this year, that shit looks legit.
    Last edited by benfjord; 05-15-2016 at 10:51 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    No butthurt with me, I got drunk in the sun skiing at a basin yesterday. Even saw a dude throw a rodeo off the down rail. I am unbelievably blessed.

I am just calling out what I perceive as hypocrisy regarding summit county.

It is odd that you are claiming you could be happy in Colorado when I have seen you talk shit about Summit County numerous times on this forum.
    i woudnt take any of the 8sumthin k posts a stoner skibum one fingered typed real cereal
    i'm super blessed and goin to fire off some fish stoke or doggie stokes in that threads
    and be 1 post closer to a 1oker
    enjoy your awesome progressive social media hypocrisy call out thread
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded.

I live in Summit. Probably the most wearing things for me are the bitter old locals who just hate on everything, and then the crowd that just uses Summit as a place to come party/act like an asshole. I think Foggy pretty much nailed the worst of them in his ENATS post.

Also, I agree with Garth when he says that it's like living in a Denver suburb. Pretty difficult to have a connection to your community, when it's essentially just an extension of Denver, but a lot of people are here because they specifically don't want to be a part of a large city like Denver. It's a weird dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    I live in Summit. Probably the most wearing things for me are the bitter old locals who just hate on everything, and then the crowd that just uses Summit as a place to come party/act like an asshole. I think Foggy pretty much nailed the worst of them in his ENATS post.

Also, I agree with Garth when he says that it's like living in a Denver suburb. Pretty difficult to have a connection to your community, when it's essentially just an extension of Denver, but a lot of people are here because they specifically don't want to be a part of a large city like Denver. It's a weird dynamic.
    I went to elementary school in Boulder back in the mid to late '80s, so I have the sort of memories of the area that are very fond and also filtered through odd prism of childhood.

I'm sure I would be just fine living there now -it's a nice area and Denver is clearly thriving - but I'm sure the crowds, costs, and attitude would not be similar to what my parents found so appealing 30 years ago.

And, yes, it's not so bad if you're not a 9-5er. But for most people, the appeal of a city like Denver is that they can find a good 9-5 and still have weekend access to the mountains.

I think colorado is dope! The mountains there are unbelievable and there is great access.

My issue with colorado is the people. Local and transplants alike. We all think colorado is a cool state but all Coloradans just want to slam that shit down your throat. "We're the best! Tell me my state is the best! John elway is god!" Seriously, no one fucking cares you live in colorado. News flash, every state west of colorado is rad. Colorado is not special. Is it geologically blessed? Hell yea it, no one really argues with that.

And as far as ski resorts go.... there are some amazing ski towns and ski resorts. They ain't off i70 or close to the front range tho, and they usually need a good amount of snow to really come into play. There are plenty of cool mountains everywhere west of denver in colorado, tons of recreational opportunities amd tons of bros to tell you how dope colorado is

Why do coloradans always need validation?
    Maybe thats a reason for the colorado hate?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    I think colorado is dope! The mountains there are unbelievable and there is great access.

My issue with colorado is the people. Local and transplants alike. We all think colorado is a cool state but all Coloradans just want to slam that shit down your throat. "We're the best! Tell me my state is the best! John elway is god!" Seriously, no one fucking cares you live in colorado. News flash, every state west of colorado is rad. Colorado is not special. Is it geologically blessed? Hell yea it, no one really argues with that.

And as far as ski resorts go.... there are some amazing ski towns and ski resorts. They ain't off i70 or close to the front range tho, and they usually need a good amount of snow to really come into play. There are plenty of cool mountains everywhere west of denver in colorado, tons of recreational opportunities amd tons of bros to tell you how dope colorado is

Hit the nail on the head. Seeing more and more "I'll bet you were cool in Colorado stickers" these days, always crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. Seeing more and more "I'll bet you were cool in Colorado stickers" these days, always crack me up.
    That'll look good next to the "Noone cares you ski Alta" sticker

I don't know one Coloradan who acts like that. Who are these people you run into? Likely 1 year old transplants?

I actually have never skied Summit County, I just hope everyone skis it and leaves us alone in Utah with our frustrated Mormon women...

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Like the Teton Valley doesn't have it's own special brand of smug. Too busy sucking your own dicks trying to be the Anti Jackson while properly coordinating your trucker hat, muck boots and the latest patagonia puffy to realize that the jokes on you. "Lets go ski Oliver...again" [/joke]

I'm in full agreement that some believe that living in Colorado is some type of accomplishment. It's another ENATs trait, always keeping score. They honestly feel than they are better than someone that lives in...say...Houston. They also believe in some type of pecking order of ski towns. I think it goes T-ride, Aspen, Vail>>>everywhere else. I'm hoping that Winter Park is still on the bottom of the list.

Honestly, I can be a little embarrassed to say I'm from Colorado. I've had this conversation with many service industry employees in Hawaii, France, Florida etc. and the CO reputation is a know-it-all that is really trying too hard to be cool.

I love Colorado. And there are assholes from everywhere. Colorado just really seems to have a lock on a certain type of high disposable income doosh that likes to act all mountain-y. Walk around DIA, observe all the choads in their never-been-to a jobsite Carhartts. They are the same losers with the freshly snowsealed Kinco's who just want to talk about gear on the chairlift.

Again, I don't let in run my life and all stereotypes are by definition false, but if you don't see it...time to check the mirror.

John elway is god!
    I think he might be, actually.
    The Sheriff is near!

Because fuck Colorado, the tomatoes are way better in New Jersey.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Like the Teton Valley doesn't have it's own special brand of smug. Too busy sucking your own dicks trying to be the Anti Jackson while properly coordinating your trucker hat, muck boots and the latest patagonia puffy to realize that the jokes on you. "Lets go ski Oliver...again" [/joke]

I'm in full agreement that some believe that living in Colorado is some type of accomplishment. It's another ENATs trait, always keeping score. They honestly feel than they are better than someone that lives in...say...Houston. They also believe in some type of pecking order of ski towns. I think it goes T-ride, Aspen, Vail>>>everywhere else. I'm hoping that Winter Park is still on the bottom of the list.

Honestly, I can be a little embarrassed to say I'm from Colorado. I've had this conversation with many service industry employees in Hawaii, France, Florida etc. and the CO reputation is a know-it-all that is really trying too hard to be cool.

I love Colorado. And there are assholes from everywhere. Colorado just really seems to have a lock on a certain type of high disposable income doosh that likes to act all mountain-y. Walk around DIA, observe all the choads in their never-been-to a jobsite Carhartts. They are the same losers with the freshly snowsealed Kinco's who just want to talk about gear on the chairlift.

Again, I don't let in run my life and all stereotypes are by definition false, but if you don't see it...time to check the mirror.
    Jackson Hole is the ski center of the fucking universe.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Must be the altitude.

I think there are some pretty good folks around CO.

Dude, all these bro-brahs are bending over backwards to make ya feel better 'bout yerself and Su(kc)Co...it's almost like they're tryin to get in your pants...which, since your in Denver, they probably have a pretty good shot at... lucky for you I'm here to give it to you straight!
    Now I'll stipulate that the East wall is legit, Abasin's season and parking lot parties rule, and yes, the back bowls are a blast on a powder day. Those are the plusses. Unfortunately the minuses weigh heavy....
    1) it's too fuckin high. Love to bag peaks above 12k (even a 14er every once in a while) but who wants to try and sleep above 9? Head aches, bloody noses, and all the other fun that comes with oxygen starvation?
    2) Texans. Every resort within 3 hours of Denver seems over run with obnoxious Texans in 10 gallon hats or goggles with a 10cm gap.
    3) I-70, everyone knows why, fact is on a weekend you may as well be in Kansas as Denver
    4) too far from the Gnar, aka JHMR, Big Sky, Taos, BCC
    5) until you're thru the tunnel Colorado looks like Nebraska
    6) tornadoes (drove thru one last summer, thought I wuz gunna die, wtf)
    7) pot tourists...yeah I 'spose it's great to have weed candy for the kidz, but It's bad enough to dodging Texans posting the epic days ripping groomers at Copper on Instagram while driving and now I gotta dodge the burn-outs from Whichita as well? No thanks
    8) Vail is a truck stop, not a "town"
    9) need to tap the HELOC to pay for parking
    10) did I mention the Texans?

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaked View Post

1) it's too fuckin high. Love to bag peaks above 12k (even a 14er every once in a while) but who wants to try and sleep above 9? Head aches, bloody noses, and all the other fun that comes with oxygen starvation?
    3) I-70, everyone knows why, fact is on a weekend you may as well be in Kansas as Denver
    4) too far from the Gnar, aka JHMR, Big Sky, Taos, BCC
    1: Quit being a pussy. The high elevation is the reason why Abasin is still nearly 100% open with awesome coverage. Your argument about trying to sleep above 9k feet is true, somewhat, but there are shitloads of mountains in Colorado with base areas lower than 9,000 / 8,000 feet. Don't be a bitch and I'm sure you could figure out how to sleep in Breck.

3: If you had read my original post you would have seen that I acknowledged that I70 can be a total clusterfuck on the weekends. I get it. The thing is, I would still way rather deal with the I70 clusterfuck than the absolute nightmare I80 from the Bay Area can be. The weekday traffic on I70 is nothing to worry about, and I would way rather have an hour and twenty minute drive than a minimum 3 1/2 hour drive.

4: You do realize that crested butte, aspen, and telluride are just a few hours away?

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaked View Post
    9) need to tap the HELOC to pay for parking
    9- How fucking gaper are you ???? There are free lots at every resort in Summit County, and multiple free lots within 50 feet of the lifts.

Even at vail, which admittedly is a parking rip off, you can still park for free on the frontage road by Safeway.

Seattle has a lot of things going for it, but the weather would be a big downer for me.
    Suck it up, princess.

Denver is certainly better than the east coast, and I can see the appeal if you need to be close to a larger city for work. But to say it's "hands down the best option" is pretty biased towards the aspects of life that are important to you...and the fact that you can ski weekdays. Unfortunately, most people with careers that require a major metro area don't have the luxury of a flexible schedule that lets them ski weekdays, and not everybody cares about diverse culture and sunshine. If you primarily care about quick access from the airport, SLC is "hands down the best option." If you primarily care about deep, stable snowpack and wilderness touring potential, I think the Seattle-area is "hands down the best option"... and depending on where you work/ski, the access can be pretty decent. But if you can work remotely, none of these places hold a candle to living somewhere you can tour out your back door half the year.

And yeah, CO seems to have a higher percentage of pretentious bro-brah douchebags than other places.

I'm stuck on the east coast for grad school, and my wife just moved to Golden. We were hoping for SLC for the access—especially for me flying in to ski a couple weekends a month—but she got a great job opportunity in Denver. So I guess I'll get to experience firsthand just how awesome the front range is this winter.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Live in SLC, have never skied CO. Our son, daughter in law and ripper seven year old granddaughter were visiting from WI. Son and daughter in law were college racers and several of their teammates immediately moved to CO after graduating. So two of their Denver friends came over to ski for a long weekend. We ski at Alta, 13 miles from our driveway to parking lot. I was asked what we pay for season passes, being old we get senior pass for $599, said a regular pass was $999. The comment was made that is a lot when you consider "we" get the Epic for $600 (don't remember the exact Epic price) and can ski multiple resorts. I agreed that the Epic is a great deal. So on Sunday night, after they skied one day at PC and two days at Alta and driving home in 20 minutes the guy that asked about the season pass price said, "you know what, $999 is worth every penny". He said the drive, and no weekend lift lines were unbelievable, "geez, you can go up and ski just a couple of hours and be home for dinner". If nothing else it is convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Colorado just really seems to have a lock on a certain type of high disposable income doosh that likes to act all mountain-y. Walk around DIA, observe all the choads in their never-been-to a jobsite Carhartts. They are the same losers with the freshly snowsealed Kinco's who just want to talk about gear on the chairlift.

just bought my first pair of "dress" out on the town carhart pants in january, pretty stoked to have them, I think it makes me look "mountain casual" or would that be lumbersexual?

Hi WTF is dat! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Colorado Rockies, head east and you will find better snow due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking(and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems) as well as a truly more enriching urban and mountain lifestyle. The northeast is the home of the gnarliest snowriding on the North American continent! In addition to the superior intellectual urban environments and lifestyles, you will have easy access to great mountain experiences like Killington, Vermont where the snowriding terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") the snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is lush and green! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! There is lift-serviced mountain biking in the summer and the autumn colors are unmacthed anywhere on the planet. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi WTF is dat! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Colorado Rockies, head east and you will find better snow due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking(and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems) as well as a truly more enriching urban and mountain lifestyle. The northeast is the home of the gnarliest snowriding on the North American continent! In addition to the superior intellectual urban environments and lifestyles, you will have easy access to great mountain experiences like Killington, Vermont where the snowriding terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") the snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is lush and green! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! There is lift-serviced mountain biking in the summer and the autumn colors are unmacthed anywhere on the planet. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    Lolz
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE SUMMIT COUNTY / EAGLE COUNTY AND DENVER?
    I think Colorado is sweet. There are a few folks there, however, who occasionally act like turds on this forum.

Hey Tahoe!!!!

Glad to see that the butthurt is in full force for the fourth season in a row.

You guys were all dicks to me in this thread last year when I asked for some advice about a trip I had planned out there.

Suck it.

Love colorado.

PS, most resorts out here have seen about 200 inches of snow so far this season, with 20 inches in the past week in most spots.
    Keep in mind that this came after a number of folks offered WTF Tahoe advice in the 13/14 Tahoe thread and this other thread he started.