Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driver

Daily Driver

Looking for suggestions of daily drivers to look at. I ski CO and UT. Current ski is 4Frnt Turbo. Really have liked it for 3 years, but find I have a lot more fun on my powder skis, Bent Chets, even in like 2" new. I have the version with the stringers, so they're stiffer than they used to be.

Are the Automatics like a mini Bent Chet? Never been on one. Other skis to recommend in that 105-108 spot?

Thanks

I liked my Automatic 109's (no experience with the 117's) until I got a pair of Praxis GPO's. I was fairly new to new school skis, with my 1st pair being a pair of Carbon Megawatts, and both the Megawatts and Automatics were a revelation to me at the time.

The GPO's showed me that the Automatics are a bit soft for my tastes as an inbounds ski, and I decided to convert them to touring duty with a pair off Vipecs. I was out testing the Vipec mount on the Automatics yesterday and I haven't changed my opinion about them (the bindings BTW, are very solid feeling as reported elsewhere).

I was in medium density Spring snow (4-7") with a bit of chop (at A-basin). After two runs, the Vipec test was over and I went back to the car for the GPO's and I felt way more stable (less tip deflection) than with the Automatics.

I'm also gravitating back to the upper 100's number for a daily driver, and for this reason, I'm about to order a pair of Freerides in their Spring, custom sale. In the Praxis thread, you'll find some interesting comments about the Piste Jib which is a bit narrower. I'm thinking you might be interested in the MVP, or (by virtue of the 50% Springtime custom sale) a beefed up Backcountry in a stiffer flex with veneer.

[edit] Obviously, there are tons of great choices and multiple brands. Hopefully, the comments about the 109 Automatics added a bit of context.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-13-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Blizzard Peacemakers compliment my Bent Chetlers nicely.

Armada Invictus 108ti. Made by Atomic and looks to be the same construction as Automatic, Atlas, etc. Two layers of metal. Definitely not too soft yet not too stiff. You can probably find the original Invictus for less.

Countdown 107.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Praxis RX

Whatever ski I personally ski on regardless of its actual appropriateness for your use.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Whatever ski I personally ski on regardless of its actual appropriateness for your use.
    Concept FTW
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Billy Goat, I skied it all season even on harder days and I own skinnier skis, it is so good, the word you used is right, FUN. Although I did just buy some monster 88's to rip around on so they may get pulled a bit more often.

Daily Driver

Next years Wrenegade 108? Cochise?

202 Lotus 138 r3

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    202 Lotus 138 r3
    Good call. With all that rocker you're approaching the limits of grip on that 5cm of edge that actually touches the ground

202 Lotus 138 r3
    The R3.1 or R3.2? I rate the R3.2 a 104 on hardpack and two thumbs up in pow while the R3.1 is merely a gold star on hardpack and big grin in pow.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

202 Lotus 138 r3
    I thought he was a soul 7 guy

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Good call. With all that rocker you're approaching the limits of grip on that 5cm of edge that actually touches the ground
    Actually they work really well on 45 degree raincrust in Alaska (sucks that I know that). Its the flats where they're tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Actually they work really well on 45 degree raincrust in Alaska (sucks that I know that). Its the flats where they're tricky.
    Ha! I've skied some flavor of 138 on a few mediocre days of snowbird laps, I have an idea of how it'll do as an everyday ski.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Looking for suggestions of daily drivers to look at. I ski CO and UT. Current ski is 4Frnt Turbo. Really have liked it for 3 years, but find I have a lot more fun on my powder skis, Bent Chets, even in like 2" new. I have the version with the stringers, so they're stiffer than they used to be.

Are the Automatics like a mini Bent Chet? Never been on one. Other skis to recommend in that 105-108 spot?

Thanks
    Moment Deathwish, 112 under foot

191 Lhasa FAT!

Praxis RX
    Well played! I nearly wet my pants when reading this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I like the Invictus 108 Ti too. Also Black Crows Atris, Faction 3.0, Salomon QST 106, Armada ARV 106 all kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    191 Lhasa FAT!
    After hand flexing your pair that ski is on the top of my short list of skis I want to buy. I really would like to find a pair in good condition with only one mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    After hand flexing your pair that ski is on the top of my short list of skis I want to buy. I really would like to find a pair in good condition with only one mount.
    You'll have to beat me to it! Always hunting for a back up pair.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I like the Invictus 108 Ti too.
    A few mentions of the Invictus here. It's on my radar as my new bigger touring ski but I've never bothered to check it out in the flesh. How does it flex compared to a Cochise? Even flex pattern or soft tip?

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    A few mentions of the Invictus here. It's on my radar as my new bigger touring ski but I've never bothered to check it out in the flesh. How does it flex compared to a Cochise? Even flex pattern or soft tip?
    Way stiffer, pretty even flex.

Way stiffer, pretty even flex.
    Good to know, thanks. I'll try to see it in the flesh in one of the big shops outside of town who keep skis out all summer.