Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I think that's what I have?

Maybe this shit would help too: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wd...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Whoa, cool. That actually looks like it would be really good for the nicks in the steel that appeared in my top tube. Like a polish/wax.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You could become a better rider and just not fall, that might help minimize some of the scuffs and scrapes to the frame...

Ive got a roll of the thick black 3M tape if you want it. I used it on my chain stays for some protection, its holding up pretty well too. I layered it with white 3M electrical tape too.

I may check out that pre cut kit for bikes, that looks cool.

Pricey, but the best protection on the market and easier to apply with the thicker material.

http://www.amazon.com/Shelter-Bike-F...s=shelter+bike

I use Shelter protective tape on my Hightower. It's thick and absorbs impacts very well. For $30 you get 2 long strips which is plenty for the down tube, cable wear spots, chain stays and wherever else. I've had it on for a half dozen rides, most of them wet and muddy, and it sticks very well. The stuff is pretty burly, I recommend it.

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/Shelter-...oad_p_233.html

Another friend of mine uses the Invisiframe - thats more extensive and costum cut to your frame but it's also $80 and the application process to tedious and time consuming (according to him)

Or just use a codpiece.
    Codpiece!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

+1 on Shelter tape. It actually protects from structural damage. I have no idea what you're talking about with UV. Just get Shelter tape and be done with it. Get a whole roll and split the cost with a friend.

Edit: I've had Shelter on for two seasons. Only place I needed to reapply a bit was where the chain came off and aggressively tore at a very small piece - I did up the small parts of the chain and seat stay near/behind the cassette as well as the down tube. DT has taken some incredibly hard rock strikes and the tape absorbed it all.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

There's a shop here in SLC that'll clear coat for $100. YMMV in your area. I'll be doing this with my next bike, might do the shelter tape in high wear areas too. My current frame is functionally fine but looks hammered and that really hurts your resale value for bikes that actually get ridden hard.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    There's a shop here in SLC that'll clear coat for $100. YMMV in your area. I'll be doing this with my next bike, might do the shelter tape in high wear areas too. My current frame is functionally fine but looks hammered and that really hurts your resale value for bikes that actually get ridden hard.
    Interesting. I assume I gotta take the bike apart first? What's the name of the shop? I'm down that way once a month anyways.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Yeah you'd have to pull the bike apart, not sure about pressed in bearings, could be a PITA. I've never done it myself but I'll try to find info on the shop.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

If you have the time and cash I think that invisiframe precut stuff could be worth it. I don't have personal experience, but I did just put a bunch of 3m protective film on my new Bronson CC a couple of weeks ago. The 8mil 3m film I have is what the invisiframe stuff is made of, and I think what other bike protection brands use.

There was definitely a learning curve for me to learn how to properly apply the film (once you figure it out it's really rad!) ... And I'd say the most time consuming and challenging part of using the 3m film was figuring out how to cut the pieces that would wrap the seat stays, head tube, etc. you dont always anticipate how the tube dimensions vary along the length of each tube so it makes the cutting really tricky. Applying the film on a layer of soapy water (google it) is actually kind of cool, its amazing how well the squeegee works when pushing out the water layer with no resulting air bubbles. The best part about the film is that it doesn't leave nasty adhesive residue when removed, and it can stretch to fit bike contours in ways that tape can't. (Disclaimer, I have zero experience with helicopter or shelter tape but I've read stories about the removal process)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    If you have the time and cash I think that invisiframe precut stuff could be worth it. I don't have personal experience, but I did just put a bunch of 3m protective film on my new Bronson CC a couple of weeks ago. The 8mil 3m film I have is what the invisiframe stuff is made of, and I think what other bike protection brands use.

There was definitely a learning curve for me to learn how to properly apply the film (once you figure it out it's really rad!) ... And I'd say the most time consuming and challenging part of using the 3m film was figuring out how to cut the pieces that would wrap the seat stays, head tube, etc. you dont always anticipate how the tube dimensions vary along the length of each tube so it makes the cutting really tricky. Applying the film on a layer of soapy water (google it) is actually kind of cool, its amazing how well the squeegee works when pushing out the water layer with no resulting air bubbles. The best part about the film is that it doesn't leave nasty adhesive residue when removed, and it can stretch to fit bike contours in ways that tape can't. (Disclaimer, I have zero experience with helicopter or shelter tape but I've read stories about the removal process)
    Cool. I ordered the two pieces of shelter tape for the down tube and other high impact areas and still have a bit of a roll of that 3M stuff left over for cable rub areas and smaller bits. I had that same experience with the 3m on my last frame and had trouble getting it all to stick around the rear triangle with so many angles. May put the shelter there instead.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

... And I'd say the most time consuming and challenging part of using the 3m film was figuring out how to cut the pieces that would wrap the seat stays, head tube, etc. you dont always anticipate how the tube dimensions vary along the length of each tube so it makes the cutting really tricky.

For what the stuff costs, take the extra time to cut test pieces from paper. Get them perfect then use as templates to cut the 3m film.

These guys make custom protective decal kits for most bikes:
    http://frameskin.com.au/index.php?id...oller=category

Not cheap, and they ship from Australia so shipping ain't cheap either.

I used the 3M tape on my Ibis

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    For what the stuff costs, take the extra time to cut test pieces from paper. Get them perfect then use as templates to cut the 3m film.
    Yeah it depends how much you value or have time vs money for such projects. Ironically I didn't go Invisiframe or Frameskin because of the lead time from Australia and I wanted to ride my bike. I'm happy the way my frame turned out with 3m film but it took me several hours and some of the film seams don't look "perfect."

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Good call. Raining all day here so will have plenty of time for a project like that.

so, Click-Wizard Dunfee, is this plastic something bought with TrustFundDolla or something you got by being SPANCERED BY TGR?

I suggest just not riding it, that way it can't be hurt unless you try to work on it. and we know you don't do that.

Dunfee: "You're just jealous. You wish you were the Click-Farmer at Maggot Central. You wish you had a TrustFund. You wish you got free shit because of Click-Farming."

CF: "whatever you need to tell yourself, Mr Insecurity."

Half trust fund, half proceeds from my dentistry side gig

Shelter tape, sweet.

Dundee, we need a airline travel thread. How was flying with your bike to SWISSland? What case? I remember just using a regular bike cardboard shipping box. My 5k+ carbon bike...not sure I can trust inside some cardboard thing.

In the USA, I can just rent if I need to go far to ride.....other places I want my rig.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Shelter tape, sweet.

Dundee, we need a airline travel thread. How was flying with your bike to SWISSland? What case? I remember just using a regular bike cardboard shipping box. My 5k+ carbon bike...not sure I can trust inside some cardboard thing.

In the USA, I can just rent if I need to go far to ride.....other places I want my rig.
    Fortunately BMC provided bikes from their Swiss stock so no need to fly with em. But the guys that did bring their own used evocs bike bags. Seemed like they worked fine although I never witnessed the packing process.

Yeah it depends how much you value or have time vs money for such projects. Ironically I didn't go Invisiframe or Frameskin because of the lead time from Australia and I wanted to ride my bike. I'm happy the way my frame turned out with 3m film but it took me several hours and some of the film seams don't look "perfect."
    making it "look" good is the challenge. I have fingerprints all over (or, under) my tape from handling/straightening the stuff.
    that all said, it works, and it's good enough.

^ Nitrile gloves from the drugstore, duh! Same ones I use when I'm wrenching my bike or making guacamole.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I have a Following and went with the Invisiframe kit. It's worked out pretty well. I've had the bike for a bit over a year now. It's got a couple of the edges that have collected a little dust under them so it doesn't look perfect any longer, but better than if I didn't use it. You simply have to use something on the Following. The paint evil uses is absolute shit. I waited a week or 2 to install the kit and in that time I got a few really nasty scrapes. I have friends on the black Following and it seems to hold up a bit better than the orange.

Have fun! the bike absolutely rips. It's by far the best bike I've ever ridden. The only 2 gripes I've got are the paint and the seat tube that's just a bit too slack.

So, if I want a carbon CODPIECE.
    Where can I buy such an item?
    . . .