Shaky Cam in movies lately anyone else hate it as much as I do ?

I thought this was a flash in the pan with Blair Witch but then Hunger Games, a few of the Bourne movies, Man of Steel and just saw CA Civil War. Who in the hell likes that ? I understand a few times during action shots but shaky handheld for dialogue makes me not want to see any movies with the cinematographer that does this. If I want a headache it will be from a few too many beverages , not a movie.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

It's used to impart a sense of urgency and a first person experience, but gotta agree it's been an overdone trend in the least few years. Set back a few extra rows in he theater to alleviate some of the negative effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Not just movies anymore, it seems like the only trick they know on Fear The Walking Dead.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

IIRC, "Homicide: Lift on the Streets" was shot [almost] entirely with handhelds and it was a pretty good show. They didn't over use the shaky aspect of the handheld though, I guess it was maybe more liberal use of the auto-steady features or something.

While walking out of the theater after CA Civil War, my wife told me she was getting a bit motion sick during some of the fight scenes. We saw this in IMAX 3D and the fight scene in Africa was disorienting. However, the scene when the Avengers were fighting each other at the airport was shot in IMEX and you could tell the difference. The action was so much smoother than the earlier herky jerky camera work. Too bad they didn't/couldn't shoot the whole movie in IMAX.

Apparently, GoPro is setting the new cinematography standard for action scenes in TV and movies. Creating "drama" through shaky camera work and one second edits is easier than doing it through good directing. OTOH, I have seen several big budget Hollywood movies that left me thinking they had actually scripted and filmed an excellent movie, but ruined it by editing the shit out of the action scenes. Makes you appreciate the old timers like Hitchcock who would use the long pan shot to give you time to think about what was happening and create the tension in your mind. Shaky camera work and fast editing simply creates cognitive dissonance, which is a poor substitute for crafted dramatic tension.
    Gravity Junkie

If you hate the shaky cam action movies, and haven't seen John Wick yet- do yourself a favor. I get that it is supposed to disorient/add urgency, but I think it also lets directors get away with shitty fight choreography.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

My brother blames Michael Bay for making it mainstream. He says, "If I wanted to have a seizure, I'd watch those shitty Transformers movies."

AFAIK "Traffic" was the first hand-held major motion picture, so blame Soderberg.

It was definitely Blair witch that popularized it. There were articles being written at the time about the shaky cam causing people to hurl.

Hurl is also the precise 90s terminology we need when discussing these masterpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    AFAIK "Traffic" was the first hand-held major motion picture, so blame Soderberg.
    Soderberg loves hand held and he really popularized it, but wiki gives credit to early Cohen bros work, Steven Spielberg in saving private Ryan. Blair witch used hand held held but popularized the "found footage genre" if you ask me
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaky_camera

Going to CA:civil war 3D now. Wish me luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I hate it almost as much as a scene cut every 1/4 of a second.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Apparently, GoPro is setting the new cinematography standard for action scenes in TV and movies. Creating "drama" through shaky camera work and one second edits is easier than doing it through good directing. OTOH, I have seen several big budget Hollywood movies that left me thinking they had actually scripted and filmed an excellent movie, but ruined it by editing the shit out of the action scenes. Makes you appreciate the old timers like Hitchcock who would use the long pan shot to give you time to think about what was happening and create the tension in your mind. Shaky camera work and fast editing simply creates cognitive dissonance, which is a poor substitute for crafted dramatic tension.
    Shaky cam/jump cuts are most commonly used to hide mediocre special effects and poor combat choreography. If hand held is used consistently, a director can claim to be going for an effect. If its only being used in action scenes, its just the director cheating to hide budget limitations, limitations of his special effects or maybe its just a lack of imagination. Compare Bay's "Transformer" garbage to Del Toro's shot framing and edit in "Pacific Rim." Both films are just an excuse to show giant robots smashing things but Del Toro gives his audience what it wants (wide angle shots from a stationary or smoothly tracking perspective) and Bay continues to hide behind frenetic jump cuts and rapidly moving camera positions. Bay's "technique" is to purposefully ruin image clarity when the action ramps up. Its cheating. I saw the first two Transformer films when friend dropped them off for me while I was recovering from surgery. I was so wasted on oxy that I thought the special effects were pretty good. But when I watched one a second time while sober, my eyes and brain functioned differently and it looked like crap.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-12-2016 at 02:17 PM.

I just saw revenant and thought the director took an odd direction when allowing the camera to be part of the scene.
    A couple of times the lens gets fogged by the actor
    And they even splatter blood on the lens during the mauling scene I think it was
    It makes a certain amount of sense to make it palpable for the viewer, but also kinda weird to suddenly allow the camera to be a part of the scene in a period flick

Angry Totally HATE it!

Feels like my eyes going out of the socket! I want a smooth movie and feel it. I think everyone wants this. Every movie lovers deserves it. Peoples can feel those actions without shaky cams you dumbass movie producers! They're doing it just for money that's all and we need to stop them. They don't have respect about the movie production or the viewers.

We should be more louder and get their attention. Otherwise, they're gonna keep doing it over and over again. And there's not too many peoples around who actually talks about it. Now these days i see, peoples just watch movie and criticize it. They doesn't actually feels it. Movie production, it's an art! And those shaky camers and poor minded movie critics ruining the goodness of it. Critics should be logical, not jealousy!

Love from Bangladesh guys. Make it louder.
    Cheers,
    MSBJ