Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Try packing a wall tent, gear and 3 bull elk 12 miles out of the back country. You will change that tune.
    No, I won't. Horses are stupid.

The downhill biker has responsibility for managing the interaction with the uphill rider/walker, and should slow down, make eye contact, smile, use words if necessary, and adapt according to the situation. Often the uphill rider is ready for a short break, and hikers find it easier to step off the trail than bikers, but sometimes not. This seems to work fine in my small community, with moderate amounts of trail use.

Try packing a wall tent, gear and 3 bull elk 12 miles out of the back country. You will change that tune.
    That's what mules are for.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    I've heard that as well. My experience was on heavily used logging roads with large vehicles pulling heavy loads. Loaded truck going uphill may not be able to get going again or would be in for a long, slow pull up the hill if forced to use the pullout was the concern.

Of course if they are loaded coming downhill, the little guy is backing down the hill or finding a spot to squeeze over anyways.....common sense and all that.
    Gotcha. Yeah, different "rules" apply when large fully loaded vehicles are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    We had some of those as well.

We had some of those as well.
    What did their husbands think of you calling their wives names like that? I enjoy race horses and that's it. Trail riders annoy me because of the prevalence of weekend "cowboys" everywhere I look around here. Most of them never even work with cattle.

As far as row goes, I yield to most everyone as I believe it's the polite thing to do. When they don't yield for me, I just shrug it off and keep on moving.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    What did their husbands think of you calling their wives names like that? I enjoy race horses and that's it. Trail riders annoy me because of the prevalence of weekend "cowboys" everywhere I look around here. Most of them never even work with cattle.

As far as row goes, I yield to most everyone as I believe it's the polite thing to do. When they don't yield for me, I just shrug it off and keep on moving.
    Cool story bro.

To sum all this up:

1) many people are assholes

2) if you smile and be nice less people will be an asshole to you

Cool story bro.
    Whatever you weekend "cowboy" douche

No, I won't. Horses are stupid.
    When you finally have a nice 4-wheeler, they don't just keel over and die on you suddenly for no reason.

I'm always nice on the trail. That said, if there are 3 or more of you, YOU DON'T NEED TO WALK ACROSS THE WHOLE PATH. Fuck off, fatties.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

UPHILL HIKER HAS R.O.W?

Whatever you weekend "cowboy" douche
    Whatever, you gay cow pedicurist.

P.s. Love ya bro

Hard to have mules without horses, though!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Hard to have mules without horses, though!
    They're just for breeding stock and steaks.

They're just for breeding stock and steaks.
    And Ikea meatballs

People don't know and/or don't care what the proper etiquette is for right of way.

I'd never ride or hike right by a horse without great care because I know what can happen if they get spooked - throw the rider or kick out at you. But I've seen more than a few bikers not stop when approaching horses and very rarely stopping when approaching hikers.

Most of the time hikers will get out of the way of bikers because its easier for them to get off trail and right back on.

To add a quirk to the etiquette rules - downhill skiers have the right of way over uphill skiers.

I've noticed quite a few versions of the "rules" in this thread. People want to make up their own to suit their idea of common sense--and all of the versions people have posted make sense. The problem comes when people with different ideas of the rules meet. Life is easier if everyone agrees on the rules, however arbitary they are. Otherwise we're like the self driving car at the 4 way stop that gets stuck because it can't figure out whose turn it is. That doesn't mean the rules have to be followed blindly when it's fairly obvious what to do--if I'm coming down and a heavily laden backpacker struggling up steps aside before I have a chance to, glad to take a break, I'm not going to step aside myself and glare at them for breaking the rules.

As far as horses, they get the right of way because they're huge, potentially dangerous, and dumber than most people. BTW if you get out of the way of a horse--get uphill. Better kicked in the shin than the head.

Mountain bikers--the more you ride with consideration for hikers the fewer the trails you'll be banned from.

Runners--I'll get out of your way when you're coming down and I'm going up but you don't have any god-given right to have ROW over everyone else on the trail.

This solves much of the problem excluding bikes or motorized stuff.

In touring you gotta yield to downhillers headed to the parking lot as a courtesy, they are trying to keep momentum and are often tired.

Standard practice I was taught is yield to uphill, so that's the plan barring a special circumstance. I try to keep my pup off the trail when sounds of bikes pop up, makes it easier for everyone to simply step aside. Take an extra minute and hit a fresh nug if ya get flustered.

Freeway drama don't belong in the hills.

I think whatever user group originally built the trail should get the right of way.

UPHILL HIKER HAS R.O.W?

^^^ I like it. Around here that would mostly be elk, the Crow Tribe, and the Cavalry. I can yield to that.

FuckinA, now yield to every Mormon??

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    ^^^ I like it. Around here that would mostly be elk, the Crow Tribe, and the Cavalry. I can yield to that.
    Ok, whatever user group maintains or has built the tread beyond a simple way-path or game trail gets the right away. I'm pretty sure the elk don't make sweeping banked corners and the Crow Tribe didn't fund and lobby to build a metal girder foot bridge well above the floodline.

So maybe the Forest Service gets the right of way?

................That said, if there are 3 or more of you, YOU DON'T NEED TO WALK ACROSS THE WHOLE PATH...........
    when a group of side-by-side hikers/walkers approach me and it seems clear they wont yield a little room, i come to a complete stop and look right at them: they either have to adjust the gauntlet or crash into me; usually they yield.........this technique works well on the trail, sidewalks and crowded stores
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Hm. Good idea, if they're coming at you. Not so much from behind.
    Sometimes I give people a sort of hands up shrug with my hands on the bars. Especially if other bike riders aren't getting over enough.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    The downhill biker has responsibility for managing the interaction with the uphill rider/walker, and should slow down, make eye contact, smile, use words if necessary, and adapt according to the situation. Often the uphill rider is ready for a short break, and hikers find it easier to step off the trail than bikers, but sometimes not. This seems to work fine in my small community, with moderate amounts of trail use.
    perfect summary. We do that here in Colorado and it works.

Many hikers are extra courteous up or down and I thank them rightfully.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

On singletrack, or generally for horses, I stop and unclip and put a foot down for uphill traffic. You should too. No one cares about your Strava time. A lot of hikers yield, but it's easier to let them go by once I've unclipped. Especially if they have dogs.
    No longer stuck.