Dental Implant Not Working

So i got a implant on tooth #18. took about 11 months for the entire ordeal. So it has been a year out and the tooth has been getting tons of food stuck between the teeth. I went in to see the Dentist who put in the crown, and he sent me back to the implant guy.

Implant guy says the bone graph and implant are fine, it is the tooth that was loose.

So they put in a new screw (into the implant) and made a new crown. Three weeks later the tooth is totally loose again.

Any one have any experience with this? Losing faith in the dentist.

Thanks

6 implants - no worries. The fact that the implant is fine and causes no pain should calm you some. Rejection being the biggest fear. Sounds like a mechanical problem. My (teeth) were screwed in so tight they hurt for 20 minutes. If they can't be fastened that hard, then the implant never anchored well in the jaw.

Poor design of the tooth back could be the issue. there should be no concavity for food to lodge in the first place.

Just a patient's perspective; for what it's worth, my implants are way stronger than my originals (taken out with a pool stick). I would post a picture of JAWS from 007 if the uploader was working.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Get a second opinion from a new dentist and a new implant guy, (usually a periodontist or endodontist around where I live).

Better yet, talk to a dentist, not your original one and ask who would you send your mother/father to for implant work?

Clear it first with your insurance, maybe that can cover some of it.

Had an implant installed in the early-mid 90s (replacing a tooth knocked out in a bike wreck). Every 6 months or so the crown would come loose and I'd go back to the dentist. Once it came loose in the middle of a 5 day backpacking trip, I had to eat on the other side for the rest of the trip. My dentist thought it was because the bite wasn't quite right, other teeth were putting pressure on the crown and eventually it would work loose. Took a few trips to get it right but it's been good for about 20 years now, tight as ever. Still have the same dentist too.

Thanks, that is what this guy thinks, bit is off and backing it out.

So after multiple tightening of the post that goes into the implant, the post finally snapped and the tooth and half the post fell out.
    I went back to the surgeon, he thought he could just get the post out of the implant and put a new one in.
    Not the case.
    Implant was cracked, so he had to take that out. New bone graph, 4 months of healing then a new implant.
    Great news was that he is not going to charge me.

SO excited. if you can get excited about dental surgery.

So, what cracked the implant?? Over-tightening the post?
    Any info on general population frequency of implant cracking?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So, what cracked the implant?? Over-tightening the post?
    Any info on general population frequency of implant cracking?
    Implant itself fracked. Very small number of them fail. No idea why it happened. Shouldn't happen from overtightening the post.