Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bike Lock Recommendations?

Will be on the road this summer for 3 weeks with bikes, and wondering how to lock the two on my hitch rack (1Up USA). I have some cheapo cable locks, but everyone says they suck. I could get these wheel locks (https://www.1upusa.com/product-wheellockshort.html) but that doesnt do much for the rest of the bike. Any thoughts? This one looks good (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-82.../dp/B000P6VMEC). Only place that security might be compromised is at gas stations/rest stops/meals or around NC mountain biking locations.

On my hitch mounted 1up I run a ULock through the rear wheel, frame front triangle, and a cable that I loop through the rack near the main hinge assembly. Obviously the cable can be snipped and bikes removed but putting a ULock through a frame disables the bike from being ridden away without further tools, time, noise, etc...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Big heavy chain in a protective sleeve, with a burly lock. Abus, Kryptonite, and others make them. Check Amazon for options. Gives the protection of a U lock but the length and flexibility of a cable. Downside is weight and cost...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Bike Lock Recommendations?

Ulocks and chains with hexagonal links...
    When you are looking at Ulocks, pick something the captures both ends of the "u" with a locking mechanism, as apposed to a hooked end that just drops into a hole. It can still be defeated but it will require an additional cut/more effort.
    Look at ABUS or Krypto...

The choice of a decerning bike thieves is the battery powered 4" angle grinder, a good bike thief might even be able to steal one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The choice of a decerning bike thieves is the battery powered 4" angle grinder, a good bike thief might even be able to steal one
    Not doubt...
    There is no stopping a thief with serious intent, in this case is just comes down to "how quick" will your bike be gone.

In public though, where bikes are in plain view, it keeps regular folks honest.

I have a Abus, and ABUS come highly recommended against many cutting tools and power tools. I use a combo because I am sick of 30 years of using keys.

Square Roof box with wheels off is ultra stealth and a great idea unless you have expensive carbon.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Multiple chains or cables with combo or key pad locks.

I picked this up last week since the motor cycle shop is just down the road from my house.
    http://www.cyclegear.com/STOCKTON-TO...FVQ2gQodL9gGEQ
    I need at least 5 feet of chain to run the lock through the front triangle and around the 1upUSA rack. Most of the chains and ULocks sold by Kryptonite, OnGuard and ABUS are designed for locking a top tube to a stationary object that it's leaning against like a lamp post. You need a lot more length to get around your bike lock, which is why so many of us end up with cables.
    Is your 1up rack one of the new designs that can fit a padlock on to keep someone from just removing the whole rack? Mines not, so I'm looking into ways of running a short chain from the rack to the hitch.

Basically every review ever points out that even the thickest cable locks can be cut silently in seconds by anyone with a simple bolt cutter. Chains require power tools, a lot of time and alot of noise to get through. Huge difference in deterrence in my mind.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Thanks for the ideas. Regarding other placement of bikes, there are no options. Family of four with a dog for a camping/biking road trip means two bikes on the back and two bikes on top on either side of a roofbox with camping gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I picked this up last week since the motor cycle shop is just down the road from my house.
    I need at least 5 feet of chain to run the lock through the front triangle and around the 1upUSA rack. Most of the chains and ULocks sold by Kryptonite, OnGuard and ABUS are designed for locking a top tube to a stationary object that it's leaning against like a lamp post. You need a lot more length to get around your bike lock, which is why so many of us end up with cables.
    Is your 1up rack one of the new designs that can fit a padlock on to keep someone from just removing the whole rack? Mines not, so I'm looking into ways of running a short chain from the rack to the hitch.

Basically every review ever points out that even the thickest cable locks can be cut silently in seconds by anyone with a simple bolt cutter. Chains require power tools, a lot of time and alot of noise to get through. Huge difference in deterrence in my mind.
    Mine is a newer one that can have a bolt through the allen key slot for attaching the rack, so I think I am good there.
    That one you got looks pretty good. Thx for the link.

Abus. Multiple chains locking the bikes to the tow hooks on the hitch, locking the bikes to the rack is sufficient for very short periods but if the bad guy is determined he can remove the rack from the hitch with the bikes on it. The bikes on the roof can usually be chained to the bars but, again, that's only a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Abus. Multiple chains locking the bikes to the tow hooks on the hitch, locking the bikes to the rack is sufficient for very short periods but if the bad guy is determined he can remove the rack from the hitch with the bikes on it. The bikes on the roof can usually be chained to the bars but, again, that's only a deterrent.
    Thanks--I'm thinking the best I can do is U-Locking the rack to the frame, and threading ABUS chains through to that ULock. I know nothing is thief proof, but given the fact that the bikes HAVE to be on the car, that might be the best I can do.

Thanks for that link. I've been looking for something like that since switching vehicles. With a Trooper, I was able to loop a shorter Abus through my frame and the spoke on a rear-door mounted spare wheel. Can't do that anymore.

When I travel I put a Kryptonite mini-U lock through the hitch receiver and the rack.

Here's a shot of what I ended up going with. I'll be using 1up locks for rack to frame and front wheels, and Abus for main frame and rear wheel to rack.

/\ /\ /\ What is the anchor point in that photo? What kind of padlock are you using?

/\ /\ /\ What is the anchor point in that photo? What kind of padlock are you using?
    Anchor point is that aluminum bar attached to the gold threaded hinge lock mechanism. The lock is the stock Abus lock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61uEmybrIeL._SL1200_.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	182571

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    frankly, I'd get a roof box, and take the bike wheels off and keep it up there.
    Outa sight = outa mind = the next guy has his stolen instead.
    That's not a bad idea if you can fit it!

These thick chain locks probably deter 9/10 potential thieves, but if the meth head with a cordless angle grinder finds you, you are screwed no matter what.

The problem you actually got, is that you have a town car that is too damn small for your needs. You can't pile all that stuff on the outside of your car and expect to be able to secure it too.

I say this all the time, nobody listens. Keep your toy car for running the wife and kids around town and buy something that you can put your gear INSIDE. At the least get a secure trailer. Yes it costs more than a chain, but there isn't a damn chain on the planet thats gonna stop some Kali drug addict from using your shit to buy his next fix, they got all week to think up how and where they are gonna steal the next pile of crap. And that used trailer/vehicle will be cheap compared to losing your rack, gear and everything else. In Arizona I seen guys who use TORCHES to steal bikes and throw them into vans setting alongside bike racks outside dorms. Industrial level bike thieft.

Better to buy a damn worn down vehicle and dedicate it to hauling your family and gear around on adventure trips. Insurance is dirt cheap, about $30 a month for a vehicle you drive a few thousand a year, registration can't be much if its 20 years old... and with no car payment thats gonna be your major expenses. Fix the thing up with the damn cheapest RockAuto parts you can find, put one set of new tires on it and you will have a camper that you can lock up far better than any silly rack hanging off a tiny inch square hitch -- not that those things are actually tow bars. Get a van -- my latest AWD van hold five comfortable with all gear (inc. Bikes) INSIDE. It cost me 250.00 plus about 750 in wheels and a new cooling system. took me a couple week to rebuild it, I am slow and lazy. Got it from a guy who was SURE it had a blown cyl gasket, was taking it to a scrap yard. (He wasn't NEAR the mechanic he thought he was, and neither were the professional idiots he used as wrench turners.) They are available everywhere, just go look, don't go to dealers and don't be in such a hurry, plan ahead. You will find what you need.

My previous one I paid $1500.00 for, but it was running fine and had good wheels. It ran 8 years until I screwed the pooch by driving 100 miles at 90 plus on the interstate, after four wheeling it all over a tank training facility in search of caves and dodging a convoy of army soldiers... long (fun) story.

Now I got something that I can sleep in with a .45. Yeahman, try and steal my shit some night, I don't sleep in a tent 35 feet away... and I don't worry about bears, range dogs, havalina or coyotes (killing my pet campdogs), etc...

You're a man now. With Kids. You can afford shit. Go real, go big, be happy and safe. Quit looking like a Christmas Tree fighting its way down the highway, and get better gas milage too. Although gas is cheap as straw bales now.

You got a family, you can do better than some one-car college drop out.
    Last edited by rokjoxx; 05-18-2016 at 10:23 AM.

^^^ Great post. 8.72 on the laugh inducing rant scale. How about you let me borrow your rig?

Long damn way to Vermont.

You need your own. I made a post in Tech gear describing my machine better. 3 million made, get your now before they are all "cash for clunkers" gone. (what a gimme to the auto industry THAT was!)

This is a good (enlightening) read: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

If you put a bike inside your car/van/whatever, make sure it's out of sight and there's no indication that you might have something valuable inside. Popping a window is even easier than cutting a cable lock.

Solution... a car can have an alarm. And a glass-break sensor for that matter. You can use that lock WITHIN the car, too if you are in an area THAT bad. And if someone sees a car window being broken, they aren't going to assume that its just the owner removing his own stuff.

And breaking into a car is a much more significant crime than taking a bike off a bike rack. I know the guy likely doesn't know that, but you can send him to jail or prison a lot longer if/when you might catch him. The risk in breaking into a car is much more serious. The police will spend a lot more investigating a series of car break-ins than bikes stole off'n bumpers.

Your car insurance may pay for significant thieft that involves a break-in. Taken off a rack gets you nothing, unless you got a real unusual insurance policy.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Go with an Abus Diskus lock instead of the regular style padlock. We have been using them for 30 years on our vending machines.

http://www.abus.com/us/Commercial-Se...locks/Diskus-R

Bump this up. How'd the bike do on your road trip Miles? Any insights?