Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Alta Baldy Tram

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    you gotta fight fire with fire. the ski resorts go MINE MINE MINE, GIVE ME ALL THE LAND! the soc goes THERE'S GOING TO BE NO MORE POWDER! and they meet in the middle.
    but seriously, save our canyons kicks ass and is constantly working to preserve the wasatch mountains how they are. the work they've done and what they accomplished for the wasatch is why all of y'all moved here in the first place. They've got to ask for more every time they sit down at the negotiating table because look what they have to deal with..... Alta asking for a tram that would aesthetically hurt their own brand and that of snowbird.
    It's the same conundrum faced by most environmental protection efforts; industry only has to win once, but those fighting to protect a place have to win over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I would think like pow mow maybe yeah. Limited base ops etc, but that's clearly not happening. Tourists is where da cash is at.
    I doubt Summit Group/Powder Mt., make any money. Especially if they had to service the $40 million in debt, they would have needed to purchase that boondoggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Even though it will be a relatively short tram, I just don't see how it gets built for much less than $10M. Add in 20+ years of O&M on top of that and the price tag gets big fast. I would be curious to know what the Mt. Allen tram cost, I looked but found nothing.
    Big Sky's was a long time ago at $1.5 million. But they easily got $10 million worth of marketing buzz.
    Snowbasin's was probably close to that number. But they had to have it, to meet FIS requirements for the Olympics and didn't spin it nearly as well as BS.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    the alta snow preservation thing is pretty lame, but they mainly hold back openings during the week for the weekenders in my experience.
    I always figured that it was for the lodge guests and I get that. There are families that have been coming for several generations, are very rooted with the lodge scene, it's their ritual and they spend way more money than dirtbags that want to straight line Little Chute or huck off the cliffs in the Castle. But it doesn't make me want to go skiing there.

As far as patrol goes I don't think that making the decision to open or keep an area closed is solely theirs, head of patrol generally answers to mountain management and I would imagine many of the patrol would love to see everything open 100% after a fat dump. I know a few people on Patrol at Alta and the Bird and they aren't there for the money, they are there for the love of it that's for sure.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Chondola. Snort.

Best sticker ever reads, "Welcome to Utah, now go home!". Which is exactly what ski fish bum bum head and Bruhah should do. Bull dozing off the top of one of the most iconic peaks in the Wasatch to put a tram that will be used 3 months a year is the dumbest thing ever. Not to mention the price increase that will follow to pay for it will only hurt the "locals". But only dumb asses like these guys would even suggest it's a good idea. Arizona guy just stay the hell away, we have millions of people living in the valley we don't need your business. Go to Colorado.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ifin it aint just cant let it be boy back with the same butthurtz drivals
    i sure wish that xtranorma where bro moved to the wasatch for skiing
    then discovered the backcountry
    and hated the evil resorts
    then couldn't ski in the wilderness
    cause no one would see his rad turns
    while he blogged his sick gnar exploits from his cube at bd
    fuckin it was classic
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ifin it aint just cant let it be boy back with the same butthurtz drivals
    i sure wish that xtranorma where bro moved to the wasatch for skiing
    then discovered the backcountry
    and hated the evil resorts
    then couldn't ski in the wilderness
    cause no one would see his rad turns
    while he blogged his sick gnar exploits from his cube at bd
    fuckin it was classic
    DAWN PATROL!!!
    carpe diem vita brevis

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i only dawn patrol and no more than liam mongo and titus combined
    save our canyons
    ski heli terrain first
    powder to the people

except if you use lifts or come here to spend money and enjoy a vacation
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

tourists don't even like skiing pow usually, they just want chips's run to be wider and more seats for their stupid kids at the GMD etc

Quote Originally Posted by JustBe View Post
    Best sticker ever reads, "Welcome to Utah, now go home!". Which is exactly what ski fish bum bum head and Bruhah should do. Bull dozing off the top of one of the most iconic peaks in the Wasatch to put a tram that will be used 3 months a year is the dumbest thing ever. Not to mention the price increase that will follow to pay for it will only hurt the "locals". But only dumb asses like these guys would even suggest it's a good idea. Arizona guy just stay the hell away, we have millions of people living in the valley we don't need your business. Go to Colorado.
    Haha! You mad bro?

I'm still hoping for a tram up Superior with a rotating topless bar at the top station.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Oh silly ski fish bum bum head. The 75 year old millenial. I wish you would stop hiding behind your incoherent blabber so I could understand even just one sentence from the shit you spend so much time posting. Then we could engage in some good old fashion shit talking. I do have a theory though. I think and correct me if I'm wrong that if you mabey had a kid or two you might overcome your extreme narcissism and could look past your selfish ways and realize that many of the choices we make today will have an affect on many generations to come. It's amazing what happens when the world doesn't revolve around you. It can be life changing man and I'll be damned if I let a few greedy people forever negatively change the landscape that means so much to me and so many others. So yeah Arizona you could say your ignorance towards what you propose makes me a little angry. I'm sure if you were honest you would admit there's some places in Arizona you would rather not see developed either.

Oh silly ski fish bum bum head. The 75 year old millenial. I wish you would stop hiding behind your incoherent blabber so I could understand even just one sentence from the shit you spend so much time posting. Then we could engage in some good old fashion shit talking. I do have a theory though. I think and correct me if I'm wrong that if you mabey had a kid or two you might overcome your extreme narcissism and could look past your selfish ways and realize that many of the choices we make today will have an affect on many generations to come. It's amazing what happens when the world doesn't revolve around you. It can be life changing man and I'll be damned if I let a few greedy people forever negatively change the landscape that means so much to me and so many others. So yeah Arizona you could say your ignorance towards what you propose makes me a little angry. I'm sure if you were honest you would admit there's some places in Arizona you would rather not see developed either.
    The funny thing is that when someone says ""Welcome to X, now go home!", that's about the most selfish and greedy thing one could say.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Jebus, you guys need to eat before you cry yourselves to sleep.

Like someone else said the baldy tram is just a ploy to get what they really want...

GRIZZLY GULCH

I use to personally oppose it but now, I could care less as most of the skiers living in Utah are fucking spoiled cry babies who think their stoke helps protect the winters and public land. SOC/WBA and the UAC contribute a considerable amount dismissive opinions that get regurgitated by the fresh egos in the bc market.

You can keep your cry baby playground for the free bee entrusted east coast fuck face cake pro photo movie washed up dickwad chicken wing instant dip shit fat rat sponsored Subaru hipster skimo pay pal eBay bullshit forum crowd.
    Last edited by sicktird; 05-06-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Calling out.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    So Brighton is kinda like Alpental, very interesting.
    I'd say more like the windy hill, terrain and vibe wise.

So they groom the slopes?
    yeah and it's flat with short shots of moderate excitement if you look for it.

So they groom the slopes?
    yeah Brighton has a lot of groomers. all the resorts here have some grooming. Brighton definitely has the chilliest vibe, but it's also got a kind of high school snowboarder thing happening. can't beat the bar though, for UT at least...

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    You can keep your cry baby playground for the free bee entrusted east coast fuck face cake pro photo movie washed up dickwad chicken wing instant dip shit fat rat sponsored Subaru hipster skimo pay pal eBay bullshit forum crowd.
    Regardless of where you stand on this topic, you have to admire the style shown ^here.

I busted a high man. Colorado, next.

Edit to add: Sorry I meant, I converted a sick turd to Colorado, the high man he's seems ok for obvious reasons I'm guessing. Next

Brightons definitely short on moguls and way too many locals. Best to stick to Snowbird and Alta in my opinion.

Usually people move to a ski town and try to blend in, and hope to be accepted eventually as a local. Except for Utah, where most people move here and wish all the locals never existed. I don't go that far, but I am not proud to be a Utahan.

I busted a high man. Colorado, next.

Edit to add: Sorry I meant, I converted a sick turd to Colorado, the high man he's seems ok for obvious reasons I'm guessing. Next
    No, wasn't too impressed with the national park jugalow maotan vibes... nice place to visit though.

And for clarity, I'm a transplanturd of nine years. Worked at the resorts, worked in the industry and I'm just as guilty as the next douche fresh off the bus for cunting up all this Greatness©.

Ya, I see where you are coming from but everything alta is proposing is within their permitted boundaries and I will admit that if the tram doesn't keep that area open with access I wouldn't love looking up at the cables in front of the iconic view of Baldy either but things change and these feelings of discontent will pass as well. We may not get Wasatch winters or the snow down here but we also don't have the kinds of traffic and pollution you folks have up there. I guess no matter what we can't have everything we want eh?
    dirtbag, not a dentist