Voile V6 BC Review

Ok this is my first review so here goes:
    Ski: 2015-16 Voile V6 BC (fishscale kicker) 183cm
    Binding: Rotteffela NTN Freedom
    Boot: Scarpa TX Pro
    Me: 6'2", 185#, 59 yrs old, Skiing for 45 yrs, Tele 20 yrs
    All skiing in Colorado in all types of conditions and terrain.
    I am not in the ski industry.

I skied these skis inbounds several days just to get a lot of runs on them. I was amazed how well they float, carve, and even rail groomers. Could be one of the best bump skis I have ever been on. However, I am not a great bump skier and only tolerate them in relatively soft conditions. Ice bumps - no thanks.

One day we we're yo-yoing peaks above and below treeline with sleds. We had the fortune of about 14" of fresh on top of a pretty soft early March base. I brought these V6's and also brought my V8's set up with Dynafit Radicals just in case the V6's might be too narrow for the conditions. Well I don't particularly like my heels clamped down and I only skied one run with those. The V6's totally amazed me how well they floated and handled in the pow. They are really lightweight and turn super smoothly. The slightly narrow tail pops the soft tips up just enough where I could see them 90% of the time.

Two weekends ago I skied Winter Park in 11" of fresh spring powder on Saturday and then got another foot Sunday. I had these and my Dynastar Cham HM 97's in the truck and chose the V6 over the Chams. They are only 3mm wider underfoot but the straight stiff tail on the Chams sunk just a little too much so it was V6 for most of the weekend. Again, I could see my tips most of the time but when I couldn't, whatever was going on down under there was pure magic.

FISHSCALE COMMENTS: OK, here is where you need to understand the benefits and trade-offs of the scales. I have toured 10 miles or so on these skis and have had them in hard frozen snow, 2' of trail breaking powder and most everything between.

You can climb 25-30 degrees depending on the texture and temperature of the snow. In moist fresh snow they grip much better. Cold hard trails, they don't stick as well. The weight savings of no skins is very noticeable and appreciated. I adjusted my technique slightly to sort of stomp my feet to lock in a grip when it started getting slippery. Normally with skins I would lift my feet only a minimal amount to save energy.

These are not intended to be an in-bounds ski but I gotta say I enjoy scampering around with the scales and finding little short climbs to grab some untracked where no one goes. The downside is they slow you down on flat runouts and catwalks. Another downside is you get out of synch with others in your BC tour party as to when everyone puts on skins. If you come to a short downhill, they may keep theirs on and kick n glide down while you ski down and wait. Then when its getting too steep for the scales, you have to skin up and they already have theirs on so they wait (maybe). I just bought my wife a pair so at least we will be in synch. She loves how they ski as well.

I have to assume that the regular V6 (non-BC version) would be a fantastic all-round ski for anyone that wants to ski in and out of bounds as long as you're not a 200+ lb hard charger dude. Especially great ski for tele.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0117.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	181664  
    Last edited by Turnem; 04-29-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Great review, thanks.

This confirms my impressions but I only skied them two runs during the demo at copper in Feb. They are first on my list this summer along with the Fischer Ranger 108 which was also recently discussed here
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Nice review. Always wondered what the fishscale buzz was like. Seems like a good mellow meadow skipping ski. I'd op for a longer length, but I am a solid 195 lbs.

My 2 cents

I recently got a pair of V6 BC. Mounted tele with Switchbacks. Got 183’s and I am 175 lbs and 6’3”.
    The idea was these will be good for the many short climbs in Steamboat sidecountry. As well as longer approaches in spring (Cam Pass and Indian Pks).
    Agree with the lead review- these skis are nice powder skis (and this is a good winter to test that). Transitions are basically non-existent- Just flip the lever and move from ski to tour).
    A few other observations:
    -recommended mount point looks forward... but they ski fine... so not going to mess with it.
    -I did not spend extra $ for hyper light construction. With heavy old T1’s, makes no sense. Plus, I like to avoid hype in BC.
    -they ski pretty well on piste coming down at end of day. Good edge hold, but low top end. Fish scale buzz not noticeable at higher speed. Anyhow, this is not an inbounds ski, but “it’ll do”.
    -shoutout to Voile for Switchback- such a solid design- so far no problem with ice buildup, etc for switching back and forth. Way better than my BD O1’s.
    -as for grip, good on flattish pitches- once it gets steep enough for climbing bales, get out your skins!