Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Longboards

Longboards

Do you guys ride em? Do you like em? Is Sector 9 the only way to go, or is it bearings and wheels that make the most difference? Also shapes. What are your thoughts on the shapes? Evidently the board that dips between the trucks is supposed to be more like a snowboard, but is probably more bumpy freely while the fish is more springy. What do you ride, do you like it, and what would you buy now?

I think I want one, but like any mag I want a $200 setup for $120 or less. I generally pick up any sport sport really easily and am fairly competent at it, but I tried skating back in the day and I had two left feet. Maybe I should stick to my bike.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Yup 210 Dynamic VR27 Super Geant.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah, I like the sector 9 boards. Not a huge fan of pintail designs. There are new trucks that feel super surfy and I want to say the 'sidewinders', but I'm not sure.

You'd be best going to specific sk8 forum and reading up.

Longboarding is super fun, but I don't do much of it anymore. I've crashed and I'm old = outside my risk/reward bubble these days.

I know, but I like you guys.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Yep. I have a Honey "Cruiser". http://www.honeyskateboards.com/#cruiser

I like it. If I was to buy another one though, I don't think I need the turned up tail. I would also probably go with t his board shape so I could carve tighter turns: http://www.honeyskateboards.com/#velocity
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I have one of these and really like it. I like the drop through since it makes the board easier to push.

http://www.krackedskulls.com/

I am a shade over 200 lbs and wish I added some extra glass to stiffen it.

I am 41 and bought a Never Summer Clutch last summer. Mostly to screw around with my kids. I haven't broken myself yet!!

I kind of wish I had bought one with some sort of a tail so I could turn tighter corners on sidewalks and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    I would also probably go with t his board shape so I could carve tighter turns: http://www.honeyskateboards.com/#velocity
    Yeah, I like that shape personally.

You can get a 'cruiser' which is a shorter deck w/ kicktail and street wheels. I have a couple of those at my house. They're too quick and turny for me.

Buy from my friends
    http://blackdoglongboards.com
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I ride a Sector 9 pin tail. Fun way to kill a hour or so. No shirt, bare feet is how I roll.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I have a Sector 9 I got probably 20 years ago. Haven't been on it much the last few years for the same reasons as strawjack, but it's fun. Mine actually has a kick tail, which is odd, but it is kind of fun to try and do tricks on. I was never a speed demon on it. Love to find a gentle slope and carve.

Do you want to downhill or use the board for transportation?

The drop-thru or pintail ones are designed for skating hills, which they are great at, but are kinda a pain to use as transportation. The longer length plus having no kicktail makes navigating tight turns difficult.

Personally, I like a board with an old school directional shape. They are the best at just skating down the street and can skate hills too if setup with wide trucks and big soft wheels.

I just have a blank deck... Like this. If you want to go cheap, buy a blank deck, some namebrand trucks (independent, gullwing, etc..), some big soft wheels, and some swiss bones bearings. The bearings should be the most expensive thing on the board.........
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Sell me one of your extras....for $50

My 12 yr. old is looking.
    They're at my house, but they are not mine, they're my kids.
    I just have a regular longboard personally.

Check Amazon.

Plenty of good deals in the $140-$160 range. Last year's models.

Getting an old model of this one:

for my 8 year old girl. Found a complete on Amazon for $140.

I am getting an Arbor bamboo deck. Currently riding one of the first Sector 9 boards to come out. It has a camber to the deck, so it is really plush going over cracks in sidewalks. Thing is fast too. Rode it down 3/4 of 9th in Boulder on a 3 am drunken slow roll. Must have hit at least 35-40 mph. Lucky I didn't hit anything else.

Longboards

Have a G&S Fibreflex 44" pintail with Abec 11 wheels, Indy trucks, Bones bearings. Pretty sweet.Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1461374873.910397.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  377.2 KB

Just make sure to buy some matching birkenstocks

Blackdog Longboards FTW, made on Snoqualmie Pass.

I have a Sector 9, a Carver and a Powell Peralta reissue. I don't think anyone over the age of 21 should consider buying a skateboard and NOT look at a Carver. All depends on if you surf, or if you're looking to do that much work. More about carving and pumping, less about cruising. Let me say, though, that goddamn it puts a smile on your face.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    I wanted to bump this thread and see if anything's changed since the OP started it. Looking to get a longboard to cruise on. Won't be bombing any hills. Mostly just around the neighborhood and a community path we have near by. How much does a quality set up go for these days? Not a fan of the pintail design and won't be doing any quick turny stuff.

Longboards

I have a G&S longboard w Indy trucks and Abec wheels if you’re interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1662.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	267963

These wheels, minty: https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/...ngboard-wheels
    Last edited by 54-46; 02-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.

never been interested. totally unfunctional design, I can go fast and carve on my popsicle stick if I need or want to. Also solidly in the old camp and rarely ride anything anymore.
    "Can't you see..."

I am not agreed with your statement as if you are not a professional but if you want to feel like one so go for the HyperOutdoor skateboard which is a mainly good stuff in this summer to go with as I bought one HyperOutdoor longboard online. now i do not know how to attached the pic to this comment of my HyperOutdoor skateboard which is very nice design, loved the finishing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mf1669 View Post
    I am not agreed with your statement as if you are not a professional but if you want to feel like one so go for the HyperOutdoor skateboard which is a mainly good stuff in this summer to go with as I bought one HyperOutdoor longboard online. now i do not know how to attached the pic to this comment of my HyperOutdoor skateboard which is very nice design, loved the finishing as well.
    Name:  IMG_2116.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  62.7 KB
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I'm with Marshall Tucker on the old school shapes are sufficient for most average hill bombing. I do have this OG Hester for bombing and slalom utility. I'm not going full body armor and bombing shit that requires Coleman slides or a hard shutdown. Give me a long mellow hill or at least a saddle to cool down before getting too crazy.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Being heavy and riding dh at a low skill level, I have a yocaher drop deck that they describe the flex as: no flex... it’s like 12 ply. I’m sure it’s “zero flex” for some 120 lb skateboard kid but it’s a nice even stiff flex for a 220 pounder.
    Bought it with shitty trucks attached and replaced with some Caliber 50s and stiff barrels. Cadillac cruiser wheels are slidey enough to dump some speed in turns and also soft enough to not be terrifying with all the gravel and acorns and bullshit I deal with on my little track.

Fortunate enough to have a rails to trails here that’s like 3 or 4 miles of mellow dh...as it was a freight train route from the high country to the port, so it has a nice consistent long grade. Can lap it with the city bus. It’s pure glory until it all goes horribly wrong and your face is grinding on pavement. Nothing like having to get back across town with blood pouring out of your face. Anyway, I love it and hate it. I’d rather have a onewheel but that shit’s way way too spendy.

Name:	DA758719-F5C9-4E4D-8CA5-98DD37608A08.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	749.6 KB 
ID:	279143

Name:	7FB5B21B-4659-4835-AF50-DC2FFCE46DEE.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	439.2 KB 
ID:	279145

I like having that big width and low ride to exert leverage and get some slide, because that bit of slide is kinda my best speed control until someday when I can actually throw it sideways and full on powerslide.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 04-19-2019 at 01:48 PM.