Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's a little scary with constant feelings of self doubt and dread of destroying your over priced ass rammer but those directions that guy on mtbr put up are really pretty good.

It will take forever but you'll get it done. Just keep track of the little bits and be careful.

If you mess it up, you're still where you are right now: in need of a cartridge.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Yeah, the email I received from them (late last year) said they do not service their products once out of warranty (my cartridge went 26 months after purchase). I've been trying to get a new cartridge for months now (125mm) but QBP is always showing OOS. May try rebuilding it myself.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=71938
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    "a few hundred" or so? Dayum, is he turning this into a business?
    Well, 100+, but probably half of them are his own and all of our riding buddies. I really would have bailed from KS a long time ago if I couldn't drive over to Chris' house and have him do it or at least guide me through.
    He's basically been doing what ColMan suggested, but under the radar. People message him through the thread all the time.
    I'm wait listed for a 9point8 for my wife. Her tolerance for finicky stuff is low, and my tolerance for dealing with her stuff is lower.

Thanks. Would prefer not to pay full retail but I do want to get that post back on my bike.

I don't have the tools to do that kind of rework ...

So ...
    $80 plus shipping for new air canister, no downtime
    $50 in tools/parts and half day of time to rebuild myself, 1 to 10 days downtime
    or $40 to pay some dude and $10 in shipping to rebuild an existing air canister, 5 to 10 days downtime ...

kind of a tough call between options a and c!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Option B, knowing you can use option C if it goes badly.
    If option B works, you feel good about yourself and you can tackle it again next time.

The only advantage of going with Option A is that then you can take your original cartridge apart and fuck around with it, realizing it's a totally doable home mechanic project. Then when the replacement cartridge has issues you can swap back the original one for less riding downtime.

^ It's the fiancee's bike, so downtime is less of an issue since I ride about 5x as much as she does. Unfortunately our sp diameters are off and I'm also using a Reverb, so my mutual benefit is not well aligned (other than keeping her happy).

I think I'll delay my decision to see how often her complaints of sticky seatpost come up ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Bump.

Does anyone else know a domestic source for KS air cartridges besides Universal Cycles? For whatever reason, they don't have the model I need.

I have a Supernatural Remote 30.6 125 x 385 dropper. Apparently UC has 100mm or 150mm cartridges for the i950. Doh!
    I emailed Universal, but in case they don't come through, any other recommends?

I can't find these parts anywhere!

My plan is to buy a new air cartridge so that I have no downtime and that gives me time to try the MTBR cakelly4 rebuild instructions on my own time without downtime on my wife's bike. However that plan may not be looking so likely right now ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    domestic source for KS air cartridges besides Universal Cycles? For whatever reason, they don't have the model I need.

I have a Supernatural Remote 30.6 125 x 385 dropper. Apparently UC has 100mm or 150mm cartridges for the i950.
    Just got an email from Universal Cycles saying they will add the part number to their website. Awesome! Also good to have this shop in my state of residence, quick ground shipping to get it to where I live.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Univ Cycles is a solid online retailer. I've been buying parts from them for what seems a decade. They don't really hold a candle to the Euro e-tailers for things like Shimano parts or any Euro brand, price-wise, but their prices have always been competitive otherwise and they'll do some price matching. They ship fast & I've never had a bungled order. Have returned a few things over the years w/o hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Just got an email from Universal Cycles saying they will add the part number to their website. Awesome! Also good to have this shop in my state of residence, quick ground shipping to get it to where I live.
    Please post back how this goes. I need to do this same thing this winter on the same seat post.

Seth

^ Will do, I also got a replacement cable kit that I'm sure will make a difference as well.
    I didn't think to inspect DU bushing and other external parts ... and I'm gonna try R&R Super Slick Grease under the collar.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Bump because after sitting this winter, it's stuck in the up position.
    I took the bike outside last week go get everything ready and the lever was really stuck. I didn't see any kinks in the cable so I figured there was dirt in the actuator. I couldn't free the cable so I figured if I forced down the barrel nut and popped the piece of dental floss that connects the bottom to the external actuator hook up.
    Shop replaced it and now is saying the damn thing is just stuck up. Like the pushrod or the piston isn't working.
    Out of warranty.
    Is there anything besides servicing/replacing the cartridge that can free this thing up? I feel like a worked it a few times over the winter and it seemed fine.
    WWMD?

(ps, this is the externally routed version)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Well that was nice. Shop didn't even charge me.
    It feels like there is a little more movement in the actuator, but not totally unobstructed.
    Gonna try leaving the post upside-down for a while. Maybe some gunk floated into a spot it shouldn't have.
    Anyone else?
    No longer stuck.

The actuator mechanism in the cartridge is very clearly stuck. Any tips on freeing that bad boy?
    Also, my Fox shock pump doesn't seem to like their Schrader valve. What gives?
    No longer stuck.

Was able to get it working again. Freezer trick. Put it all back together and it is definitely gonna need a rebuild sooner rather than later. Anyone in Missoula do that?
    No longer stuck.

Okay, stupid question: It seems like there's maybe enough room in the 125 to add the 150 cartridge. Is that possible? Is that the only difference between DX's? Seems like there might not be for 2016 and before?
    No longer stuck.

I think the damn cartridge is gonna need to be replaced/rebuilt. Anyone have any luck on adding travel? Bueler?
    No longer stuck.

Making sure there is enough air in the is key. Doesn't read accurate on the shock pump for some reason. Been working great! Also another freezer treatment in there somewhere, which may or may not be necessary and may or may not have been what bent the lower thing the bolts go through for the seatpost clamp.
    So, take seat off, put in freezer, make sure there's enough air. Now I know. IDK why it's working so well again, it just is.
    Also: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=67891
    Look at those prices! Maybe I should sell the old one and get the 150?
    Too bad I spent all my money on a trip to NY for a wedding. I wish I could buy stuff with my accounts receivable.
    No longer stuck.