Colorado Back Country

I'm headed to Denver this July and am in the planning stage of a backpacking trip. I fancy myself a fly fishing aficionado but being that I live and work in the NYC area, I rarely get opportunities to target wild fish in wild areas. This is a bit of a dream trip for me but I don't know much about fly fishing in CO so I'm hoping to get a lay of the land.

I'm going with 2 college buddies who are too dense to understand the awesomeness of flicking flies to mountain stream-bred trout so the trip will mostly be about backpacking and maybe bagging a few peaks. Finding a place where I could make them happy and get a few casts in without making it a hardcore fishing centric trip would be beyond ideal. I don't need to be spoon-fed info (although im not discouraging that), just pointed in the right direction.

The Gore Range.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Sort of leaning towards RMNP. Seems like that would require the least research.

Try the Four Pass Loupe in Aspen. Killer hike with nice lakes, full of lunkers.
    Plus your buds will dig the town before and after.

What time of July? I've hiked a few times in early July after a few warms spells to still find the lakes frozen.

I'd avoid RMNP that time of year because of the crowds. Gore range, Collegiate peaks, Elks or San Juans are all great.

Buy a couple topo maps, find the trails, a lot of them naturally have creeks and beaver dams where you can get into Brookies on a 3wt and then the alpine lakes.

Urad Lake. So fucking sick.

July 15

4 pass loop does look amazing. I'm worried it might be just a crowded as RMNP but coming from where I live, I dont think it will be bad.

We're it me, I'd do a couple of short out and back trips stitched together. See more, fish a variety of water, less commitment. Say, Sand Creek Lakes over Music Pass for a night or two for some native cutthroats. Then over to Salida to fish the tributaries of the Arkansas. The Collegiates are stunning, lots of trails. Plus, you can call an overnight in Salida to restock and grab some beers. If you do, hit Elevation Brewing in Poncha Springs. Good beers.

Another vote for 4 pass loop.

Can even let you guys borrow some fish/backpacking gear if necessary.

PM me.

Asspen sending you a PM

So many options to consider in CO... I dont know why I live on the EC

Sangre de Cristos never disappoint.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Another vote for Elevation, good beers, good guys
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Another vote for Elevation, good beers, good guys
    x2. Great spot.

Unless you want to deal with a shit ton of people I'd steer clear of RMNP. Gore range is great, the Arkansas down by Buena Vista and Salida will be good fishing and the Collegiate peaks are there for a decent hike. Huron peak is a decent 14er that has camping by the trailhead.

I'm skipping RMNP. Looks like we are going to take Lenjoys advice and split it up to 2 shorter trips. The goal is to do a more relaxed overnight or 2 by an alpine lake or something (this is were I plan to do my fishing), then check out another area for a night or two to set up a base camp and day hike a peak.