Page 133 of 165 FirstFirst ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    My new pump with a digital gauge reads a couple psi off from my topeak d2. But all the other d2s i've tried read the same and I just go by the number on those. Kind of annoying because I thought I'd be able to just use the pump but the number it reads seems to vary a bit. Sometimes it's like the same, sometimes like 4-5psi off in a mtb tire. And is it a step too far that I've considered looking up a tool/instrument calibration place to check my gauges?
    Does the pump read higher or lower? It might be reading lower when you attach the pump and air fills the hose - like a shock pump…but then it might be closer to accurate after you’ve pumped some air in, removed the pump and check with the gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Front Range, CO. Apex, Deer Creek, White Ranch eats EXO tires for breakfast.
    Yeah, I mean, these are definitely all a bit pointier than average.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Does the pump read higher or lower? It might be reading lower when you attach the pump and air fills the hose - like a shock pump…but then it might be closer to accurate after you’ve pumped some air in, removed the pump and check with the gauge?

Pump reads higher. And doesn't give a reading usually until I pump it and it opens the valve. So for example I put the pump on, inflate to 25psi, pop off the chuck, put on the topeak, and get a reading of like 22-23.

And in a 30mm IW wheel with 2.4 vittoria syerras, a rear tubolight sl, 160-165lbs, I run 19/20 psi f/r according to my topeak. I think I bottomed the rear out the other day and they feel pretty good so probably won't try lower.

I put a big vertical gash in my Aggressor DD this week. It cut straight through the first layer of casing so I’d guess that spot is now like an EXO while the rest of the tire is still DD.

I’d like to have a spare in the garage so when it blows I’m not out of commission too long. I like the Aggressor DD but definitely feel the dual compound lack of grip compared to the stickier rubber when it gets wet. I’m curious what else would be comparable. No issue going back to Maxxis but that model is like $110 so it would be nice to find something cheaper.

Needs:
    Fast-ish rolling for an enduro-ish tire
    Heavy-ish casing. I’m 190 and fold over lighter casings
    Not full MaxxGrip-style. Some sort of middle od the road rubber compound would be nice.
    2.4-2.5 width. My rims will blow off 2.3 and below, and 2.6 is unwieldy for a rear tire.

I like my 2.4 schwalbe big Betty Good grip and seems durable.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Specialized Eliminator isn't a fast as an Aggressor, but it's faster than a dhr2. The t7/t9 compound is maxxterra-ish. Rolls decently. Grid gravity casing is roughly comparable to DD. They're significantly cheaper than maxxis. A 2.3 specialized is similar width to a maxxis 2.4. Maybe even a smidge bigger.

I’m a noob to modern tires, rode stock grid trail for a while and noticed a massive difference putting a grid gravity on the rear. Will probably upgrade the front tire too, but damn it’s going to be a heavy sumbitch for trail ride days.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I’m a noob to modern tires, rode stock grid trail for a while and noticed a massive difference putting a grid gravity on the rear. Will probably upgrade the front tire too, but damn it’s going to be a heavy sumbitch for trail ride days.

Adding any kind of rolling weight is generally going to be noticeable but if you're riding fast you can't skimp on tires, or at least I sure can't.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

I’ll still wait up for you, Whippersnapper!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Specialized Eliminator isn't a fast as an Aggressor, but it's faster than a dhr2. The t7/t9 compound is maxxterra-ish. Rolls decently. Grid gravity casing is roughly comparable to DD. They're significantly cheaper than maxxis. A 2.3 specialized is similar width to a maxxis 2.4. Maybe even a smidge bigger.
    After going through a couple of Eliminators my thought is that they are great tire but the knob design makes them not very durable. The little squarish knobs that come in pairs and sit between the center and side knobs provide spectacular braking power for the first 100ish miles but get ripped out real quick and braking traction goes away quick if the bike isn't perfectly upright. Personally I like it since it helps push the rear around without much effort but it's a bit disappointing to see how fast the tires go from brand new to fully haggard.

Of note regarding the Specialized size: I found that the GridTrail casings mount to a much bigger size than advertised as you mentioned. The 2.3 Butcher and Agressor are easily 2.5. The GridGravity casings don't inflate quite as much though and my front Butcher looks a bit skinny on 30mm rims. Barely 2.4.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Michelin Rock'R2 fanbois--what have you moved on to? I've finally worn through my stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Michelin Rock'R2 fanbois--what have you moved on to? I've finally worn through my stash.
    I still have one brand new one left... not looking forward to the inevitable.

For all you syrup suckers on this side of the poutine curtain I picked up a new 29"x 2.5 Assegai in DD 120x2 to freshen up that front tire which now has > 2000kms and so the side knobs are looking ratty

I been looking for a new Assegai all season but they have been almost 150$ and I never seen them on sale anywhere

so for Canucks only you can order these from MEC.ca ( 6015-753 ) for only 103$ delivered to your door which is as good as it gets eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What's the closest tire to a GP50000 but comes in 36-38?

Gorilla tape + home made sealant FTW.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    What's the closest tire to a GP50000 but comes in 36-38?

Gorilla tape + home made sealant FTW.

Schwalbe Pro One and Conti GP5000 max out at ~32c

If you're looking for a very fast road tire that's bigger:
    1. Challenge Strada Bianca Pro Hand Made Tubeless Read (HTLR) in 36 or 40
    2. Rene Herse Barlow Pass in the Extralight casing

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Schwalbe Pro One and Conti GP5000 max out at ~32c

If you're looking for a very fast road tire that's bigger:
    1. Challenge Strada Bianca Pro Hand Made Tubeless Read (HTLR) in 36 or 40
    2. Rene Herse Barlow Pass in the Extralight casing
    I have the handmade Challenge Strada Bianca Pro. Make sure to get the handmade. It's a great, super fast, super plush tire. It's a bitch and a half to get on the wheel.

Some more background. On my litespeed 5g I run GP5000 32 from road to light gravel. I have been using them for bikepacking too and that's a bit too much for them. I also have a set of wtb resolute 650x42. I really not too stoked on them. A lot pressure they are a drag. At high pressure they roll ok but what's the point? So I am looking for something between the resolutes and gp5000 mostly for bikepacking and rougher rides. Those Rene Herse look good but they are too much $$ for bikepacking.

Panaracer gravel king seem to roll well, they are cheap and come in many sizes. The 40 measures 37 on https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...?orderby=rrmed I think these should be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Some more background. On my litespeed 5g I run GP5000 32 from road to light gravel. I have been using them for bikepacking too and that's a bit too much for them. I also have a set of wtb resolute 650x42. I really not too stoked on them. A lot pressure they are a drag. At high pressure they roll ok but what's the point? So I am looking for something between the resolutes and gp5000 mostly for bikepacking and rougher rides. Those Rene Herse look good but they are too much $$ for bikepacking.

Panaracer gravel king seem to roll well, they are cheap and come in many sizes. The 40 measures 37 on https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...?orderby=rrmed I think these should be a good choice.

In that case, I definately wouldn't look at the Rene Herse Extra Light because of durability.
    The Challenge would be a pain if you ever needed to put in a tube.
    The Panaracer seems like a good choice.

Once you get the challenges, or other "open tubulars" like vittoria corsas or whatever on and inflated they keep a little shape and are more reasonable to deal with the next time around. I put some gravel grinders on recently with inserts and the inserts maybe actually helped because they gave the tire some shape.

Just found a discontinued Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra rubber. Maxxis site only shows they offer the DD in MaxxGrip which doesn’t work for me for pedaling. Stoked to try something with a bit more bite than an aggressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Just found a discontinued Dissector in DD casing with MaxxTerra rubber. Maxxis site only shows they offer the DD in MaxxGrip which doesn’t work for me for pedaling. Stoked to try something with a bit more bite than an aggressor.
    Unicorn tire, nice find!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Falcon3, check out the new Maxxis Forecaster V2, it may be just what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Falcon3, check out the new Maxxis Forecaster V2, it may be just what you are looking for.
    Thanks for the rec, I’ve taken a peek at it before. Unfortunate they only offer in EXO, the tread pattern looks perfect for all around rear tire. If there was a heavier casing with weight in the 1100g range I’d be all over it, but at 200lbs, the EXO 950g folds under me in turns and landing jumps like a wet noodle

Ok here's a different type of tire question - anyone here have experience with studded snow tires on a bike for winter commuting / bars when it's consistently snowy? I have the option of either using my mtb as a winter commuter, or my standard 700c commuter bike. Not looking to get out on trails, just groceries. Looks like studded mtb tires are $$$.

Is there a signifcant increase in stability using a mtb width tire for snow biking? Am I gonna die either way?

I found 700s sliced nicely through snow so they were stable.

Studded MTB tires were awesome on ice, but 2"ish MTB tires felt quite floaty and unstable. Very low pressure made it better.