Page 7 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Good. I don't know why they did that.

But then again I know I shouldn't even ask, because well........tomahawk and griffon.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So I took the red pill (or is it the blue pill?) and just mounted up a tomahawk with double down on the rear. This tire better be awesome because that was by far the most I have ever had to wrestle with a tire to just get the damn thing on the rim. Didn't even play around. Went mount first with a tube, then unbead one side to remove tube and put in sealant, re seat tubeless with compressor.

Even at 20 psi it feels pretty firm.

Have you put other maxxis tires on the same wheels? With my UST easton rims ikons and an ardent race have been really easy to get on and seated. Just installed a new rear and put fresh sealant in the front last week and if anything I feel like they could be a little tighter. Or maybe it's just that I am using lighter and more flexible xc tires.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Have you put other maxxis tires on the same wheels? With my UST easton rims ikons and an ardent race have been really easy to get on and seated. Just installed a new rear and put fresh sealant in the front last week and if anything I feel like they could be a little tighter. Or maybe it's just that I am using lighter and more flexible xc tires.
    No issues with a handful of different Maxxis exo tires in the past.

Anyway, the Tomahawk is pretty sweet. Really hooks up nice on dry gravely turns. It's obviously heavier than your average trail tire, but it's not a total dog (the rider might be though).

It is great in rock gardens too. Doesn't deflect too much if your line isn't perfect.

Started out with it at only 20 psi and bumped it up to about 23-24 mid ride.

I'm happy with it.

I should probably read through this thread first..

Anyone want to recommend a rear tire for me? I'm currently riding a DHF 2.3 in front and HR2 2.3 in the rear on WTB i23, tubeless. Previously had HR2 in front with Ardent 2.25 in rear. I thought the Ardent climbed and cornered like shit, when I switched tires cornering got better, climbing maybe a little bit but not much. HR2 is beat and needs to be replaced.
    The majority of my rides are >10 miles, often through alpine terrain. I am looking for a tire that will be good for climbing/braking/traction in steep, techy rock sections and chunk over hardpack. I suck at cornering so that might help too. As long as it rolls better than a Nevegal I will be happy.
    27.5, tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I should probably read through this thread first..

Anyone want to recommend a rear tire for me? I'm currently riding a DHF 2.3 in front and HR2 2.3 in the rear on WTB i23, tubeless. Previously had HR2 in front with Ardent 2.25 in rear. I thought the Ardent climbed and cornered like shit, when I switched tires cornering got better, climbing maybe a little bit but not much. HR2 is beat and needs to be replaced.
    The majority of my rides are >10 miles, often through alpine terrain. I am looking for a tire that will be good for climbing/braking/traction in steep, techy rock sections and chunk over hardpack. I suck at cornering so that might help too. As long as it rolls better than a Nevegal I will be happy.
    27.5, tubeless
    Throw the dhf on the rear and get a Michelin Wild rock'r 2 for the front. You will not regret it

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Just put a DHR2 2.3 on the back for the first time in a few years. It's got gobs of traction and seems to roll pretty well. I'm coming off a Minion SS which is absurdly fast, but slippy at this point in the season; and the DHR2 doesn't feel like a total dog.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Just put a DHR2 2.3 on the back for the first time in a few years. It's got gobs of traction and seems to roll pretty well. I'm coming off a Minion SS which is absurdly fast, but slippy at this point in the season; and the DHR2 doesn't feel like a total dog.
    Fun fact: the minion ss in a 26er is improved via closer sideknobs because they realized they fucked up the 27.5 one.

curmudgeonlife pays off again

chaching!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Psa: price point selling 26" high rollers for $25
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Where do the Tomahawk and the Aggressor fit in the line exactly?

Fastest -> Grippiest Rear: SS, Tomahawk, Aggressor, DHR2?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Where do the Tomahawk and the Aggressor fit in the line exactly?

Fastest -> Grippiest Rear: SS, Tomahawk, Aggressor, DHR2?
    Haven't ridden the Tomahawk yet, but I'd say:

Fastest -> Grippiest Rear: SS, Tomahawk(?), Aggressor, HR2, DHF, DHR2

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Where do(es) the Tomahawk fit in the line exactly?
    Name:  metal-trash-cans-1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  29.1 KB

Throw the hr2 in the bin to. What a POS tire. Friend that got me on to the wild rock'r 2 put a hr2 on his new Dh bike, for some unexplained reason, and proceeded to eat shit repeatedly. I couldn't raz him for atleast an hour the last time he was so pissed. Put my spare wr2 on the next day and all is well. Old hr and minions dhf are ok(still no wr2) but hr2 is just a terrible tire. Probably one of the worst in ages

Not loving the dhr2 in the back, would initially use slaugther but decided to go dhr2, lots of grip but finding it really slow compared to the conti mk I used to run

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Name:  metal-trash-cans-1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  29.1 KB
    close.

or for the rockies racer types that have almost (gasp) put an Icon on the back of their enderpo bike.

i am certainly guilty. but can no longer get 150 miles out of T-Hawk. looking for a new partner for the rear.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    Not loving the dhr2 in the back, would initially use slaugther but decided to go dhr2, lots of grip but finding it really slow compared to the conti mk I used to run
    I've always been interested in the trail/mountain kings as a rear tire. Do they really fall apart by looking at sharp rocks or is this in fact an internet tough guy rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Throw the hr2 in the bin to. What a POS tire. Friend that got me on to the wild rock'r 2 put a hr2 on his new Dh bike, for some unexplained reason, and proceeded to eat shit repeatedly. I couldn't raz him for atleast an hour the last time he was so pissed. Put my spare wr2 on the next day and all is well. Old hr and minions dhf are ok(still no wr2) but hr2 is just a terrible tire. Probably one of the worst in ages
    2.5 HR2 is pretty meh on the DH bike, but 2.3 HR2 is pretty much my favorite tire out there on the 29er trail bike.

I've always been interested in the trail/mountain kings as a rear tire. Do they really fall apart by looking at sharp rocks or is this in fact an internet tough guy rumor?
    I went through a front and rear in about 12 days. Tread was fine, but the casing ripped internally and the tire got a huge wobble in it. I didn't hit anything either - the sidewalls weren't torn, and externally the tire looked fine (as long as you didn't spin it). I'm not a big guy, and I was just riding a regular trail at a regular pace. Several other people I know that have ridden those tires have had the exact same experience.

I'm looking forward to trying out the G5 DH tires as soon as my current set breaks down.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ive got the TK 2.4 up front on my sb66 and love it, monster truck tire that doesn't want to let go. Ive blown through 1 TK 2.2 and 1 MK 2.4 in the rear in the last month and a half. Both failures when we're near the bead, sliced by a rock, and puncture through the tread. I'm a small guy as well, maybe just bad luck , not sure. I do like how they climb, but sticking w Conti is getting expensive. The 2.2 TK tread seemed to wear quick out back. Front still in great shape, all this FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    2.5 HR2 is pretty meh on the DH bike, but 2.3 HR2 is pretty much my favorite tire out there on the 29er trail bike.
    I've never tried the 2.3 or a 29er. Having fun peddling my new 27.5 wheels thru holes and rough so I'm curious to try a 29er now(another high roller not so much).Mine were 2.4 3c and 60d. Both sketchy af. Dh casing was fine. Side knobs, when they didn't rip off, were super flexy. I left it open saying they might have been because they were when they first came out to market(maybe initial bath woes?).My buddy had 2.4 3c(purchased this yr).Flexy washout machines. Seems a lot of the pros are opting for dhr2's front and rear instead. All our maxxis tires are a little off on the casing somewhere , giving them a slight wobble(several minions, those hr2's and both specialized butchers). One minion isn't bad and an old mobster is straight. Minion still seems like their best tire(haven't tried dhr2's) . Compared new 2.5 minion dhf dual ply and 2.3 butcher grid back to back with the wild rockr2. Inspite of having to put more air in the wr2 to compensate for it not having a 2 ply Dh casing, it cornered and braked much better. Butcher has more flex than minion side knobs and butcher wears quicker than 3c or atleast the centre knobs do(they were square edged and now worn/beveled).Latest 3c minions seem to crack around the side knobs before I get a chance to wear down the centre treads. Side knobs are'nt ripping off , just cracking were it connects to casing and they get flimsy. Wild rockr2 wears atleast twice as long , more positive edging(less flex) , brakes better, all 6 of our michelins are perfectly straight on the casing, seal up tubeless with a floor pump. When Michelin get their full Dh casing wr2 out there is no competition. Destroys a minion everywhere except for rolling . Minion rolls a bit better. High roller has bigger spaces between knobs so it won't clog up with mud but because of the wr2 side knobs I'd still take the wr2 hands down. Only wear on any of the michelins is they've lost the little hairs. Far superior rubber wear wise and sticks/grips atleast as good if not better without factoring in the better side knobs.I'd like to try a double down dhr2 alongside the wr2. Just put a magic Mary on the burly 26" wheel set . Anxious to try that on our steep local Dh trails.Put 2.4wr2 front and 2.35 swalbe Rock razor semi slick on the rear of the light Dh park wheels. Burly semi slick is awesome for the jump trails. Never searching for enough speed trying to squeeze in pedal strikes,just set up and play on the jumps. Carries speed so well.Side knobs seem ok in the corners too, so far

hr2 is just a terrible tire. Probably one of the worst in ages
    Hold your cards a little closer - you're showing your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by One Sentence View Post
    Hold your cards a little closer - you're showing your hand.
    Whatever that means. All truth. I don't believe in filters.Last tire I remember being that bad was a Ritchey something or other. Hr2 is the Ritchiey wcs of today .........with a wobble......that has side knobs that tear off en masse
    I will trade you 3 hr2's with plenty of centre knobs for one 2.4 farmer johns cousin

Whatever that means.
    It means that while the HR2 may not be your personal favorite tire, claiming it is even below average in the grand scheme of mtb tires in 2016 is completely asinine.

It's below average easily. There's only 2 or 3 that I can think of that might not be as good and that would be the only real debate. Onzas , Hutchinson and a couple other obscure Dh tires. Lot of hype associated with cst/maxxis tires. There's other options. They have a few decent tires and lots of categories covered I'll give them that