Page 112 of 166 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4142
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Fucking Toast being right again (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...15#post6211815). I made the mistake of riding EXO+ sorta fast in a place with rocks (not used to that) and promptly punched a hole through the tread. Should have run a DD up front like I was in the rear.
    Like Andeh, I also did a couple laps of Downieville this past weekend, and had no issues with a Vitoria Martello with the lighter weight TNT casing on the front - the same casing that lasted for four rides on rear of my bike on much mellower trails. Sometimes you have good luck sometimes bad. DD casing will certainly put the odds more in your favor.

Edit: front tire is a Mazza, not Martello. Martello was the rear that didn’t last, and I wouldn’t recommend that tread for the front. Have been happy with the Mazza.
    Last edited by J. Barron DeJong; 07-20-2021 at 10:02 AM.

I like how the Vittorias come with that silver/gray sidewall. Would look good on my GG.
    Next time I need tires, I'm gonna have to try them out. Mazza 2.6 seems like an amazing front tire. Plus, I was raised Jewish, so given how that name is probably pronounced, it's probably a law I have to get them or something.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I like how the Vittorias come with that silver/gray sidewall. Would look good on my GG.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Hate all you want, to me it looks really good with my plastic wheels.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    <snip> it looks really good with my plastic wheels.

The Mazza is just one of many, many DHF clones that is entirely ok-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The Mazza is just one of many, many DHF clones that is entirely ok-ish.
    The Mazza promo vid on the Vittoria website features a bunch of riders talking about the tire. It seems like a hostage video they’re so un-stoked on it

Sorry to post again, but can't find a real good answer for this.

Can anyone comment on if Maxxgrip is considerably better than Maxxterra in dry conditions, or is it only wet conditions where really excels? Will be using only at the bike park in Mammoth, so only using in dry conditions and don't care about Maxxgrip slowing me down on the way up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post

Can anyone comment on if Maxxgrip is considerably better than Maxxterra in dry conditions, or is it only wet conditions where really excels? Will be using only at the bike park in Mammoth, so only using in dry conditions and don't care about Maxxgrip slowing me down on the way up.

Maxxgrip gives noticeably more grip on pretty much any solid, anchored object, wet or dry. It doesn't make a huge difference in moondust / kitty litter / sand.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Maxxgrip gives noticeably more grip on pretty much any solid, anchored object, wet or dry. It doesn't make a huge difference in moondust / kitty litter / sand.
    Thanks Toast.

Price becomes the factor. You can burn off a max grip on the rear pretty quick at the bike park. One a week quick. Unkess youre on the clock id go max terra on the rear

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^ that is true. Maxxgrips don't last super long, regardless of what the dirt looks like.

Agree. So if you’re in a standard flow trail bike park with loose chunky jumble when it does gets tech, MaxxTerra will most likely feel amazing. As will the world of DHF clones from all brands.
    If your steep and tech is more solid anchored rocks, boulders, slabs with a healthy serving of root nests and off camber nervousness, MaxxGrip will leave you wondering if you’re on an entirely different tire.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by jm2e; 07-20-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Somebody rec me a new rear tire please.

2017 Giant Trance 27.5
    Carbon hoops 30mm inner
    Riding Inland Nw and PNW, I keep my tires on pretty much all year from tacky hero dirt to moon dust, mix of flow and tech, a little bit of jumps.

Was running a 2.6 NobbyNic (old Snakeskin) and liked the round profile and even knobs. I could slide it around corners but it had a good balance of traction and rolling resistance.

Rolling resistance and sidewall strength matter more than outright traction. I’d like to be in the 2.4-2.5 width range.

First thought was the 2.5 Aggressor DD casing.

Your first thought sounds like a winner!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I never LOVED the aggressor like so many others do... I like a little more drift to get through tight spots from the rear. The Aggressor doesn't do that. If you like putting your tire somewhere and that is where it goes, it's a great tire. If you need a little help turning your bike, like I do, then letting the rear tire drift out a touch is nice. But so many people love that tire, it's just probably a style preference.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I never LOVED the aggressor like so many others do... I like a little more drift to get through tight spots from the rear. The Aggressor doesn't do that. If you like putting your tire somewhere and that is where it goes, it's a great tire. If you need a little help turning your bike, like I do, then letting the rear tire drift out a touch is nice. But so many people love that tire, it's just probably a style preference.
    I can get the Aggressor to drift when I force it to, Dissector seems to do so more readily, which could be why the side knobs undercut so readily.

Coming off a NN, I think the Aggressor makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Price becomes the factor. You can burn off a max grip on the rear pretty quick at the bike park. One a week quick. Unkess youre on the clock id go max terra on the rear

Im going to stick with the Maxxterra for now, never felt like the grip was lacking. Maxxgrip sounds like a nice upgrade but might be overkill for my needs, and dont want to burn out the tire too quickly.

I am going to bump up from exo+ to DD though, that seems like an easy decision.

You're going to make skaredshtles's happy in doing so.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I was at Mammoth in June.

It was dry then. With the kitty litter I found that tire style had a huge impact.

I was on a few different tires. 2.4 Michelin wild enduros and 2.6 bonty xr4.

The bigger lugs on the Michelins seemed to provide more grip than the more XC style but wider (and lower pressure) bonty. My buddy found similar results with different tires.

Only the lower mountains was open, but we did peddle up for a few laps on 7 bridges so also enjoyed some tech rock style trails. (Btw that trail is short but super sweet)

Most things are super loose there with plenty of sidewalk piercing opportunities. I’d suggest beefy sidewalls and fat tall lugs. Rubber softness seemed to matter less.

Btw the wild enduros were GumX so not the super sticky compound.

And Mammoth will have some wear and tear on your tires. One day there was like two months of wear at home (Santa Cruz)

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    You're going to make skaredshtles's happy in doing so.
    Only way he's gonna make me happy is by NOT buying that Maxxis shit.

Im going to stick with the Maxxterra for now, never felt like the grip was lacking. Maxxgrip sounds like a nice upgrade but might be overkill for my needs, and dont want to burn out the tire too quickly.

Sounds reasonable. My soft fronts past twice as long as a harder compound rear tire. I figure soft compound up front is worth it. Im anti maxxis like shredskittles so running michelin dh22/34 on one bike and schwalbe big betty softs on the other and a pair of spesh butcher t9(soft compound) and eliminator t7/t9(soft side knobs with harder center knobs) gravity casing , waiting to be mounted. Rear big betty super dh soft is too soft for longevity and i suspect the mich dh22 is as well. Curious to try the spesh eliminator. Theyve kind of hit the sweet spot in terms of price, weight(very slightly heavier than dd), and you still get grippy side knobs with a better wearing side knob. Wonder if anyone here as tried one out back?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Most things are super loose there with plenty of sidewalk piercing opportunities. I’d suggest beefy sidewalls and fat tall lugs. Rubber softness seemed to matter less.
    Thanks for your feedback. This is exactly why I was thinking rubber softness might matter less on Mammoth's terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Sounds reasonable. My soft fronts past twice as long as a harder compound rear tire. I figure soft compound up front is worth it. Im anti maxxis like shredskittles so running michelin dh22/34 on one bike and schwalbe big betty softs on the other and a pair of spesh butcher t9(soft compound) and eliminator t7/t9(soft side knobs with harder center knobs) gravity casing , waiting to be mounted. Rear big betty super dh soft is too soft for longevity and i suspect the mich dh22 is as well. Curious to try the spesh eliminator. Theyve kind of hit the sweet spot in terms of price, weight(very slightly heavier than dd), and you still get grippy side knobs with a better wearing side knob. Wonder if anyone here as tried one out back?

I've always had Maxxis, so by default have stuck with them. So many other good options though! I do want to try some of the Schwalbe and Michelin tires too. But maybe next season. Currently in the process of testing out exo+ vs DD, DHF vs Assegai for the front tire, and a few different inserts rimpact, tannus, and tubolight evo HD.

I've always had Maxxis, so by default have stuck with them. So many other good options though! I do want to try some of the Schwalbe and Michelin tires too. But maybe next season. Currently in the process of testing out exo+ vs DD, DHF vs Assegai for the front tire, and a few different inserts rimpact, tannus, and tubolight evo HD.
    Good comparison that way with similar tire and just added sidewall. Then add inserts in the mix i guess. Makes sense
    Then all other companies have their version of a assagai/swalbe mm/mich 22/WE, dhf/dhr/schwalbebb/mich dh34/spesh butch.
    Thinking i might get some harder compound vee rubber flow snap dh casing for bp duty. Good tire and cheaper possibly