Page 81 of 90 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2245
  1. #2001
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    10,149
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Smart man. You'll love the traction. Just beware muddy conditions.
    I think the non flat also has to do with the terrain. A lot of duff and hard pack sand. Roots and not too much rock. And much of that is rounded. So fast and smooth-ish and even some soft.

    I did hit a steep, narrow, pointed rocky trail early in summer. That one scared me and I rode pretty slow.

    Hoping to avoid mud too much. When Santa Cruz gets wet, there is usually good snow. If I want to ride, the sand at Fort Ord sucks it all in and turns to hardpack. When that starts to loosen up, stuff in back here has usually dried out. Or their is spring corn.

  2. #2002
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,436
    I test-rode a bike that I will be buying in a few weeks that had WTB Verdict/Judge combo. The side knobs on the front Verdict are undercut and the tire is absolutely terrifying when tipped over on hard dirt.

    Heís going to throw on a new Verdict before I take ownership of the bike. Is the tire any good, and my experience is just due to the wear, or does it lack support in corners? The side knobs definitely look to be on the smaller side compared to, say, a Minion or Assegai.

  3. #2003
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,605
    North shore tire combo? I plan to ride throughout the monsoon season. Minion DHF front/back because... minion? Or DHF/Aggressor, but really does the Aggressor decreased rolling resistance matter around the north shore?

  4. #2004
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bham
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    North shore tire combo? I plan to ride throughout the monsoon season. Minion DHF front/back because... minion? Or DHF/Aggressor, but really does the Aggressor decreased rolling resistance matter around the north shore?
    The Aggressor is noticeably quicker than the DHF. I run it on the rear in the PNW most of the time. It definitely can get a little exciting on wet roots. This is mostly due to the Dual Compound. If you want safer and more reliable winter traction, run the DHF and throw an Aggressor on in the spring time.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

  5. #2005
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    North shore tire combo? I plan to ride throughout the monsoon season. Minion DHF front/back because... minion? Or DHF/Aggressor, but really does the Aggressor decreased rolling resistance matter around the north shore?
    Aggressor isn't a great wet weather tire. It packs up, and it only comes in dual compound which isn't all that grippy on wet roots and rocks.

  6. #2006
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,605
    That was easy. Thanks.

  7. #2007
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    North shore is all loam right? Not much clay? Probably DHF front back could work ... I hate both DHF and Aggressor in wet clay (but love them in dry to moist loam). We got both loam rich areas in the Cascade Foothills and clay rich areas on both sides of the Willamette Valley. DHF/Aggressor is an amazing prime season combo in the loam - one of my favorite combos for that.

    If itís really wet Butcher front DHF rear could be grippier than DHF front and back - Butcherís blocks look taller than DHF and they clear muck really damn well for a tire that isnít a pure mud tire. My winter bike (hardtail) just got 2.6 Butcher Grid front and back mounted (on 35mm rims). I donít think I need a proper mud spike tire like the Shorty or Hillbilly so I think this will work well for riding between storms and hopefully not too draggy on shoulder seasons and dry spells. Iíve been super stoked on the Butcher front in wet and mixed bag conditions, even enjoy it in dry conditions, but havenít gotten to test it out back yet because, weíll weíve had PM2.5 above 400 since Labor Day and all public lands around here are closed until further notice ...

    For Fall riding around here (Eugene/ Oakridge) on my FS bike Iím gonna try swapping from 2.3 DHF / 2.3 Aggressor to 2.6 Butcher / 2.4 Dissector (30mm rims). I couldnít find 27.5 DC Dissectors anywhere so ordered a cheap 2.4 3C MaxTerra and will try that in back - weíre about to get some rain so hopefully Iíll appreciate the extra grip of 3C back there anyways ...
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  8. #2008
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    New EXO Dissector lasted all of 6 rides. 1st day in Bentonville I put a 1cm cut right between the center knobs, running 28psi in back on my hardtail. Made for a pretty good sealant roost as I slowed down.
    You don't say...

  9. #2009
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snowmass
    Posts
    406
    First time in my entire riding career (lol) that I've cut a tire in the tread. Plenty of sidewalls (though not in a long time), but never down the middle. Ironically, I'm probably 15-20lbs lighter than any point in the last 20 years, but those NWA rocks are sharp I guess.

  10. #2010
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,764
    PSA: Apparently Michelin is phasing out the Wild Rock'R2.

    I just ordered 3 from ChainReaction.

  11. #2011
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,345
    I can’t read 80 pages of this...

    Replacing a high roller 2, 27.5x2.4 EXO on the front of my hard tail, anything else I should look at?

    Riding in SW CO, so dddrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy conditions, a lot of hard pack, pine duff and rock. Not too worried about shedding mud.

    I like the hr2 up front on flow ex’s, good supportive side knobs, sorta slow but great braking, round enough that it’s predictable. Had been running conti trail kings on the front previously but kinda blew through them. I don’t seem to cut tires, but I’m not a small man.

    I never really got along with dhf’s previously, maybe a little too on/off for my skill set. There anything that’s a game changer that I should look in to, or just stick with what works?

  12. #2012
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I canít read 80 pages of this...

    Replacing a high roller 2, 27.5x2.4 EXO on the front of my hard tail, anything else I should look at?

    Riding in SW CO, so dddrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy conditions, a lot of hard pack, pine duff and rock. Not too worried about shedding mud.

    I like the hr2 up front on flow exís, good supportive side knobs, sorta slow but great braking, round enough that itís predictable. Had been running conti trail kings on the front previously but kinda blew through them. I donít seem to cut tires, but Iím not a small man.

    I never really got along with dhfís previously, maybe a little too on/off for my skill set. There anything thatís a game changer that I should look in to, or just stick with what works?
    Please see post #2011. You can thank me later.

  13. #2013
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I can’t read 80 pages of this...

    Replacing a high roller 2, 27.5x2.4 EXO on the front of my hard tail, anything else I should look at?

    Riding in SW CO, so dddrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy conditions, a lot of hard pack, pine duff and rock. Not too worried about shedding mud.

    I like the hr2 up front on flow ex’s, good supportive side knobs, sorta slow but great braking, round enough that it’s predictable. Had been running conti trail kings on the front previously but kinda blew through them. I don’t seem to cut tires, but I’m not a small man.

    I never really got along with dhf’s previously, maybe a little too on/off for my skill set. There anything that’s a game changer that I should look in to, or just stick with what works?
    I'd argue that HR2's are much more on/off than DHF's, for whatever that's worth.

    If you want a front tire that's traction-y, not on/off-y, and you don't mind a slow roller, maybe an Assegai? A WTB Vigilante is along the same lines as an Assegai, but slightly faster rolling (but probably a bit less traction in any given situation).

  14. #2014
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Riding in SW CO, so dddrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy conditions, a lot of hard pack, pine duff and rock. Not too worried about shedding mud.
    Trail Kings are more of a rear tire with the alternating paddle-like center block. I actually did like Conti Mountain King for dry and rocky conditions, not the most amazing tire but consistent and predictable in that kind of stuff with no real on/off zone - I ran them front and back for a while, but they do have a deserved reputation for not having the most sidewall durability (I tore a bead out near a rim strike, my fault and not sure how other tires would fare) but the tread blocks were really long wearing.

    I also liked the Vigilante up there in dry conditions, but the tread blocks definitely wore a lot faster than the MK2.4.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  15. #2015
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,750
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    PSA: Apparently Michelin is phasing out the Wild Rock'R2.

    I just ordered 3 from ChainReaction.
    Shit. All GumX flavors out of stock, only MagiX left.

  16. #2016
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,813
    Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    First time in my entire riding career (lol) that I've cut a tire in the tread. Plenty of sidewalls (though not in a long time), but never down the middle. Ironically, I'm probably 15-20lbs lighter than any point in the last 20 years, but those NWA rocks are sharp I guess.
    Don't worry, you're at 10 years, you'll gain it back in about an hour at your ani dinner.

    And, I'm glad I wasn't on your rear wheel when that went down, although a few inappropriate jokes were hopefully still had.

  17. #2017
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    435
    Ran a Vittoria Barzo 2.6 front and Mezcal 2.35 rear on my 27.5 Trance last week for 64 miles and 10k elevation over two days in the Tetons. Not even a scuff on the sidewalls, and the tread looks good. They had impressive traction especially after the rain/snow hit up there. I'm pretty sold on this for long-duration rides when weight does matter (not shuttling DH runs). Barzo had no issue hooking up on all the flat switchbacks found at Targhee.

    Yes, I believe I badmouthed the Barzo in a previous post, but that was running the 2.6 on the rear- it felt super slow. On the front in place of my 2.6 DHF it feels marvelous.

  18. #2018
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    10,149
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    PSA: Apparently Michelin is phasing out the Wild Rock'R2.

    I just ordered 3 from ChainReaction.
    I have one in my cart and was thinking today maybe I wait until I need a new tire. Current tires have plenty of life

    RE: Rock'r2 - How does it handle in the dry loose? I don't want it for mud/clay, but I'm on plenty of hard pack, and a bit if rock, but my Wild Enduro had been working plenty nice int he sand and loose dust on crust we have plenty of this time of year. Ready to buy if it works well in that stuff, but improved grip on hardback and rocks.

    Actually lost my front wild enduro for the first time today on a dust on crust hardback reverse camber turn I should have know I was coming it too fast for. A little trail rash on my right forearm. Learning.

  19. #2019
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I have one in my cart and was thinking today maybe I wait until I need a new tire. Current tires have plenty of life

    RE: Rock'r2 - How does it handle in the dry loose? I don't want it for mud/clay, but I'm on plenty of hard pack, and a bit if rock, but my Wild Enduro had been working plenty nice int he sand and loose dust on crust we have plenty of this time of year. Ready to buy if it works well in that stuff, but improved grip on hardback and rocks.

    Actually lost my front wild enduro for the first time today on a dust on crust hardback reverse camber turn I should have know I was coming it too fast for. A little trail rash on my right forearm. Learning.

    Then tell me how much you like it...

  20. #2020
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    11,551
    ^^this. Perfect app fot yhe tighter spaced side knobs

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  21. #2021
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'd argue that HR2's are much more on/off than DHF's, for whatever that's worth.
    Might be that when I was running dhfs it was on a much narrower rim. Or that I got back into riding bikes fifteen years ago and I’m still a hack.

    Will check out vigilante/assegai/rockr 2.

  22. #2022
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,458

    New Season, New Tires, New Thread

    15 years ago? Didnít DHFs suck at first, then get better, about that many years ago?

    I didnít get into it until 12 years ago and didnít spend any time trying to get to know shit until about 6 years ago ...

    Iíve only ever run HR2s as a rear ... just thinking about toastís comment, you have two things. The wider than DHF alternating paddle on the HR2 would create slightly less on off getting off the centers, but the lack of L-cornering knobs (all straightish on the HR2 right?) would create more on/off before getting onto your lean? Tossup, on paper I say.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  23. #2023
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,167
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    15 years ago? Didnít DHFs suck at first, then get better, about that many years ago?

    I didnít get into it until 12 years ago and didnít spend any time trying to get to know shit until about 6 years ago ...
    You might be thinking of the original DHR, vs the DHR II. I hated the original DHR and didn't understand why anyone would want to use Minions because of how shitty the bike rode with a DHF/DHR combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  24. #2024
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    15 years ago? Didn’t DHFs suck at first, then get better, about that many years ago?

    I didn’t get into it until 12 years ago and didn’t spend any time trying to get to know shit until about 6 years ago ...
    You're probably thinking of the DHR. The original one was stupid, the DHRII came out... 10 years ago maybe?

  25. #2025
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,839
    ^^^ that. Dhf was always good. Dhr wasn't great.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •