Page 113 of 166 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 4144
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Good comparison that way with similar tire and just added sidewall. Then add inserts in the mix i guess. Makes sense
    Then all other companies have their version of a assagai/swalbe mm/mich 22/WE, dhf/dhr/schwalbebb/mich dh34/spesh butch.
    Thinking i might get some harder compound vee rubber flow snap dh casing for bp duty. Good tire and cheaper possibly

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    I'm relatively new to the scene, so trying to be methodical to really figure out the differences between the tire options to see how everything feels. Just seem to be a lot of moving parts! Hoping I can get to the same level as skis, where I can just look shape, dimensions, and build to know pretty well if I will like them or not.

Rear Kenda Pinner (2.4” ATC, 23psi) / Front Tioga Edge-22 (2.5” 20psi)

155lbs, mostly old Utah “natural trails” with a bunch of side hilling scree and chunk.

Edge 22 has been my favorite front for narrow hiking/game off camber/flat tighter trail riding. Heavy dude at bike park would probably overwhelm Edge-22 unless they start making a beefier casing.
    (Comparison: XR4, XR5, E.13 TRS Race All Terrain, Goma and a boatload of faster/lighter trail xr4ish tires) Basically rolls easer and corners better then the first 4 on the list for me.
    Last edited by Meconium; 07-21-2021 at 04:14 PM.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    I'm relatively new to the scene, so trying to be methodical to really figure out the differences between the tire options to see how everything feels. Just seem to be a lot of moving parts! Hoping I can get to the same level as skis, where I can just look shape, dimensions, and build to know pretty well if I will like them or not.
    The trick with tires is the rubber compound. Durability you can more or less assess by the casing construction and the weight. Basic handling characteristics you can assess by eyeballing the tread pattern.

But the rubber's tough to know until you ride it. What some companies call soft isn't that soft. Other companies' soft just means the knobs rip off instantly. Some medium compounds are actually pretty soft, while other medium compounds are super hard. Durability is all over the place. Assorted dual, triple, and quadruple compound tires complicate that all even further. And, of course, most of the companies give their rubber compounds all sorts of dumb names that make it really confusing. And lots of people don't mention the rubber compound when they talk about their tires, so while that guy on the internet swears by tire X, you don't really know which version he was using.

Haha sad but true. Jdadour is heading in the right direction. Good tire combo , build and compound for the app. Can always get fancy and try other options later or stick with it. Nothing bad at all with that selection

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The trick with tires is the rubber compound. Durability you can more or less assess by the casing construction and the weight. Basic handling characteristics you can assess by eyeballing the tread pattern.

But the rubber's tough to know until you ride it. What some companies call soft isn't that soft. Other companies' soft just means the knobs rip off instantly. Some medium compounds are actually pretty soft, while other medium compounds are super hard. Durability is all over the place. Assorted dual, triple, and quadruple compound tires complicate that all even further. And, of course, most of the companies give their rubber compounds all sorts of dumb names that make it really confusing. And lots of people don't mention the rubber compound when they talk about their tires, so while that guy on the internet swears by tire X, you don't really know which version he was using.
    I agree.
    I was hoping that Blister would work this out in the tire series, but they didn't compare tires to each other.
    We need a tables / charts that directly compares across manufacturers for casing durability and compound.

My recent adventures with rocks and line choices have got me considering keeping a set of DH casings on hand for trips to the mountains or bike park. I found I could get by with DD casing, but had to run about 3 psi higher than I would for non-rocky trails, which didn't flat but felt a lot harsher. Can I run DH casing at more or less my normal pressures without flatting? For reference: 175lb geared up, normally run 21/24 psi, had to run 24/27 psi in rocks with DD. It doesn't seem like DH is that much heavier than DD, maybe 50-75g each.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    <snip> Can I run DH casing at more or less my normal pressures without flatting?
    Maybe.

I've tried a number of different Maxxis compounds and sidewall constructions recently.

In short, DD feels materially better than Exo AND Exo+. Way more supportive, firmer sidewalls, just awesome. Exo and Exo+ felt identical. I tore a knob off my Exo+ on day 5, so not sure if that's user error (likely) or indicative of Exo/Exo+ not being all that dissimilar.

On rubber, I'm now running DHF/DD/Maxx Gripppp up front, and it really is amazingly grippy. I bet it's materially slower than other compounds. But damn does it corner nice.

I'm running DHR2/DD/MaxxTerra out back. Less grippy than MaxxGrippp, but definitely better than Maxxis Dual-Compound with about the same speed.

For this bike (Transition Patrol) in rocky Truckee with a 195# non-finesse rider, I think I'll be sticking with this setup for a long-time. Just a perfect balance. 95% pedaling/5% shuttle/lifts.

I could see going Exo if I was going XC racing or focusing on super-long rides rather than going fast and trying to jump things and being stupid. Otherwise, DD is for me, and me is for DD.
    Last edited by meter-man; 07-21-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    DD is for me, and me is for DD.
    He has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    My recent adventures with rocks and line choices have got me considering keeping a set of DH casings on hand for trips to the mountains or bike park. I found I could get by with DD casing, but had to run about 3 psi higher than I would for non-rocky trails, which didn't flat but felt a lot harsher. Can I run DH casing at more or less my normal pressures without flatting? For reference: 175lb geared up, normally run 21/24 psi, had to run 24/27 psi in rocks with DD. It doesn't seem like DH is that much heavier than DD, maybe 50-75g each.
    I can generally get away with 2-3 psi lower with a dh casing vs a DD. If I was in very rocky terrain, I might stick to more like 1 psi lower.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I can generally get away with 2-3 psi lower with a dh casing vs a DD. If I was in very rocky terrain, I might stick to more like 1 psi lower.
    Sweet. Sounds good to me.

Posted this in my beta request thread but I’ll put this here as it seems to fit.

So where I ride I can get away with exo casing all the time. Hesitant to admit it but never torn a casing. (Now it will happen next ride). But i have been interested in trying double down for the sidewall support. Nobody around me carries those casings so thought I’d snag some out here. After calling several shops I’m realizing that may not happen. Anybody know a shop in Denver that might have DD in stock or an equivalent casing from another brand (haven’t tried much else but willing to). I’d prefer to try minions in DD so I could compare to my current setup but not a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

J-Dad - I just did what Toast told me to do, and reported it in Cookie Monster voice.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    He has spoken.
    DD is for me, and me is for DD.
    I should add that I still found I had rim strikes occasionally at 24/27 psi (e.g., once per ride, on a square-edged rock in a compression/landing), so I'm running on older, light Huck Norris DH (106g) in the rear wheel. Love it. No rim strikes, amazing support, not changing tires a lot.

On that note, I've got a Vittoria Air Liner and Tannus Tubeless insert for sale/pick-up/beer/good vibes.
    sproing!

J-Dad - I just did what Toast told me to do, and reported it in Cookie Monster voice.

I should add that I still found I had rim strikes occasionally at 24/27 psi (e.g., once per ride, on a square-edged rock in a compression/landing), so I'm running on older, light Huck Norris DH (106g) in the rear wheel. Love it. No rim strikes, amazing support, not changing tires a lot.

On that note, I've got a Vittoria Air Liner and Tannus Tubeless insert for sale/pick-up/beer/good vibes.
    Cookie Monster forever. Interesting, I've been wondering if inserts would still be beneficial in a DD casing. Trying to keep overall weight down though, because when i had the cushcore pro I did not like how heavy it felt. Seems like a lighter insert like that would be the right call. I have some rimpact original at 100 grams each that i will test out in the DD, just rear and both front/rear. Also have the Tubolight Evo HD on order, at 90 grams each. Cant find much feedback of them in the internet, but they look like a very compelling option for their weight.

On my local trails, there's almost no rocks, but its hardpacked and has lots of berms. I started using a DD in the rear last year (prompted by the Book of Toast), rather than fucking around with inserts. I noticed a decent improvement in sidewall support (maybe 2psi?) in hard compressions. I'm not rad enough to tear EXOs off rims, but I can make the tires make unhappy rubber noises in berms and compressions if the pressure is too low. I can get by with an EXO+ up front in terms of support, but it's getting to be marginal.

For trips to places where there are rocks, I'm just going to get a set of DH casing Maxxis. They're only like ~100g more than DD, and from what I've heard, much more puncture resistant (guessing due to 2x60 TPI vs. 2x120), and still folding bead. I've used Cushcore and installed a Tannus, but just hate the hassle of using them and changing tires with them in. So using DH casing when terrain warrants will be lighter than adding an insert, and a lot less hassle.

Dibs, bring them up in late September / early October and I’ll drive you up Eula

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Dibs, bring them up in late September / early October and I’ll drive you up Eula
    That's some good nucking vibes right there!
    sproing!

Exo and Exo+ felt identical. I tore a knob off my Exo+ on day 5, so not sure if that's user error (likely) or indicative of Exo/Exo+ not being all that dissimilar.
    Exo+ is just more puncture resistant. Shouldn't have anything to do with ripping knob. The softer compounds will. More likely to rip a maxxgripp than a maxxterra. Double down strengthens the sidewall for sure, but comes with a somewhat hefty rolling weight penalty.

why is there a Maxxis hate club in here?

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

I dont hate them. I just think theyve had a monopoly at the lbs so long so bike stores stock them knowing people just automatically grab them. Meanwhile other brsnds have advanced past maxxis technology and quality control for a cheaper price in a lot of cases. Maxxis are still good tires i just think there are better options at a better price in atleast a few types/segments of mtb tires

I dont hate them. I just think theyve had a monopoly at the lbs so long so bike stores stock them knowing people just automatically grab them. Meanwhile other brsnds have advanced past maxxis technology and quality control for a cheaper price in a lot of cases. Maxxis are still good tires i just think there are better options at a better price in atleast a few types/segments of mtb tires

what's better than a DHF? and what's the saving cost wise you're side of the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    what's better than a DHF? and what's the saving cost wise you're side of the ocean?

What casing weight are you looking for?

What casing weight are you looking for?

I'm on exo with inserts. I wasn't requesting suggestions for myself, as I genuinely believe there isn't isn't better tyre than the minions. Not tried the assegai yet though. I just wanted to know what people think is a better tyre

Im frugal. Its how i was raised. I am especially frugal with MTB stuff because im just not that good, and dont think it makes sense to spend $5k on a bike when i have the skills that more closely fit with a $2500 bike.

Ive had the same OEM spec'ed 2.5 DHF shitty tires on my RM slayer for 3.5 years now, since i bought it. Hard AF compound. I finally had to replace the tires due to them not holding air for more than 8 hours at a time anymore. Threw on some 2.4 MaxTerra HRIIs that i got cheap from a buddy who is moving. Night-day difference. Very similar difference to when i get an edge tune on my daily driver skis after 2 years. Its dry and loose AF on the trails right now, and IDK if its the rubber compound, or that its easier to get it on side knobs with a skinnier tire, but i had the tires pumped up to 35psi (first ride i leave them super pumped up to make sure everything is seated nicely) and i still very rarely broke traction and had waaaaaay more grip than i was used to.

Pretty excited to get more rides in.

Didn’t have much life left on dhf/dhr combo that came on my Taival and taking that bike to Trestle I wanted something burlier and with fresh tread. Shop in golden had a 2.5 dhf maxxgrip and 2.4 dhr maxxgrip in double down in stock. I would have been happy w/ maxterra for the added durability. But Ho Lee Shiiiit the traction with these things was unreal. Kinda wish I hadn’t experienced that. I might be ruined. And that double down in the rear was money. I blame Toast.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums