Page 38 of 166 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    What's the upside to running cushcore "tubeless" as opposed to just using regular tubes? Seems like a wash to me. Cushcore maybe even worse rolling weight wise

Tubes pinch flat. Light tires pinch flat . Tire liners (Huck Norris , vittoria, Cush core etc) protect against pinch flatting tires and also save dings on your rims. Cush core even ride better with added dampness but weigh more than Huck or vittoria. Huck should be replaced every tire change but they’re reasonably priced. Good pedal applocation(Huck, vittoria). Cush might be better suited to dh but racers do pedal Cush core

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    What's the upside to running cushcore "tubeless" as opposed to just using regular tubes? Seems like a wash to me. Cushcore maybe even worse rolling weight wise
    Tubes ride like shit and they pinch even easier than tubeless.

So I'm kinda trying to wrap my head around multiple people saying pinch flatting with tubeless is actually a thing. I just think about the old days of getting the snakebite punctures in the tube when it got pinched in between the tire and rim, and don't see how that has anything to do with anything that is possible on a tubeless setup.
    I run 26 rear, 24 front, on 2.3 - 2.5 tires. Any less and my rims start taking a beating. Probably not what anyone would call a finesse rider most of the time, and can't imagine there's many areas more abusive on bikes and tires than my usual rides. Different combos of Bontrager, Maxxis, and WTB the past few years, some have worn really fast and one got a hole where a burr on the rim wore through the tire (which sealed just fine after I smoothed the rim and rotated the tire a bit). Not sure what you guys are doing different.
    And someone please buy adrenalated a few cheeseburgers and milkshakes!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    So I'm kinda trying to wrap my head around multiple people saying pinch flatting with tubeless is actually a thing. I just think about the old days of getting the snakebite punctures in the tube when it got pinched in between the tire and rim, and don't see how that has anything to do with anything that is possible on a tubeless setup.
    It's basically the same as with a tube - the tire gets pinched between the ground and the rim, and it gets a little slit in it.

I run 26 rear, 24 front, on 2.3 - 2.5 tires. Any less and my rims start taking a beating. Probably not what anyone would call a finesse rider most of the time, and can't imagine there's many areas more abusive on bikes and tires than my usual rides. Different combos of Bontrager, Maxxis, and WTB the past few years, some have worn really fast and one got a hole where a burr on the rim wore through the tire (which sealed just fine after I smoothed the rim and rotated the tire a bit). Not sure what you guys are doing different.
    And someone please buy adrenalated a few cheeseburgers and milkshakes!
    Yeah, you can't pinch flat a tubeless tire. You can burp them and puncture them, but a pinch makes no sense.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I hesitated on CushCore because of weight, but I really can’t say I notice it all that much. It’s only a little bit heavier than running a tube. And I hadn’t noticed anything attributed to weight when popping in a tube in the past. After wrecking a couple rims in spite of Huck Norris, it was time to bring out the big guns.

(A 29er tube is around 200 g. A 29er Cushcore is around 260 g, plus some sealant. And I can get away with an 850-900 g tires instead of 1000 g with regular tubeless. Not so bad.)

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

That one has a twin down at the bead. Pinch flat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2858.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	251035

I’ve said it before. I hate sealant, just not nearly as much as I hate tubes.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

But how is that possible if the tire has air in it? Or were you riding on a flat? I mean, if the rim is hitting stuff with the tire getting caught in between, YOU NEED MORE FUCKIN AIR IN YOUR TIRE.

JFC, people - this debate was settled around 2002. You CAN pinch-flat a fucking tubeless tire. People have pinch-flatted tubeless tires since tubeless became a thing.

But how is that possible if the tire has air in it? Or were you riding on a flat? I mean, if the rim is hitting stuff with the tire getting caught in between, YOU NEED MORE FUCKIN AIR IN YOUR TIRE.
    I'd have to run 40+ psi to keep from rimming out. I'd rather have good traction and an occasional pinch (which is usually quick and easy to fix with a plug).

If someone is running tubeless and has never pinch flatted, it just means they're either riding smooth trails or they're slow.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That one has a twin down at the bead. Pinch flat.

Name:	IMG_2858.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	251035

I’ve said it before. I hate sealant, just not nearly as much as I hate tubes.
    And just when I thought I'd destroyed components in every way possible, I get shown up. Nicely done, sir.

Highjack: After getting no bites over a few weeks, I just donated the Highline to a good cause. I'm gonna miss that sucker, but my new Patrol is sooooooooo effin' goooooood.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If someone is running tubeless and has never pinch flatted, it just means they're either riding smooth trails or they're slow.
    Since I only ride on pavement and never exceed 2.4 mph, that makes perfect sense.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I've had a couple of pinch flats, and go up a couple psi when i'm going to be on rockier stuff or way in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I've had a couple of pinch flats, and go up a couple psi when i'm going to be on rockier stuff or way in the backcountry.
    ^^thats a good rule of thumb. Find what tire works for your area, bike, weight, and level of protection then do that. I like to top up the psi for out of the way rides where walking back is going to suck waaaay more than the local loop

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    ^^thats a good rule of thumb. Find what tire works for your area, bike, weight, and level of protection then do that. I like to top up the psi for out of the way rides where walking back is going to suck waaay more than on the local loop
    Exactly ^. Learn the tipping point of your your pinch flat tolerance on the local loop, and bump it up a few PSI for the rides where a flat would be a pain in the ass.

That one was two issues. Flimsy Ardent Race and landing at speed directly on a sharp edged rock. I’m typically in the mid 30s for tire pressure. I experimented with high 20s when I got the Huck inserts. Huck is good for typical dingers, but is easily overwhelmed when you hit something fast and hard, so I’m back up to mid 30s.

Arty, that was a sweet bike BITD. Hopefully its new owner will enjoy it as much as we did.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sorry, but I’m not adding 2-3 psi when I go deeper into the woods. People who say that aren’t using a gauge every ride. I want to enjoy my rides.
    Sure, if I’m way out, and cutting it close on light/weather and I need to put in a tube, then I inflate a bit more and ride conservatively. Bedside that’s when it’s more about making it out safely and less about fun.
    But going from 28 psi to 31 psi? Fuck that.

And yea, debate is long since ended. If you haven’t pinch flatted your tubeless, you may find there’s still more fun to be had on a mountain bike that you’ve yet to discover.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by jm2e; 10-17-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

My e13 rear tire ripped at the bead. Wtf. It was near end of tread life anyway i guess. Went with maxxis aggressor 2.5 double down on rear and DHF 2.5 3C max terra up front. Liking this combo.

Name:	IMG_2105.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	251327

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    My e13 rear tire ripped at the bead. Wtf. It was near end of tread life anyway i guess. Went with maxxis aggressor 2.5 double down on rear and DHF 2.5 3C max terra up front. Liking this combo.

Name:	IMG_2105.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	251327
    I’m guessing your e13 might be the original version? I’ve seen some sidewall issues with them and a number of people getting flats. I’m semi interested in their new burled up version. Not sure if they’ve reinforced that part near the bead though. Michelin has that section near the bead and 1/4 way up the sidewall with added protection(2 or 3x thicker). Wild rockr2/wild enduro rear combo would be similar too your maxxis combo

Interesting comparisons in this episode on tire weights, air pressures , liners and what different riders are using and applying. Some heavy, some lighter and some changing of weights and pressures

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    And yea, debate is long since ended. If you haven’t pinch flatted your tubeless, you may find there’s still more fun to be had on a mountain bike that you’ve yet to discover.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not seeing how flatting increases the fun factor, but whatever floats yer boat.

I go so far as to let my bike sit outside for awhile before I set pressures, especially on hot days. At races I'll pre-ride and warm up and see how things feel and then double check and adjust if needed before the start. If things are slippery and loose I'll go as low as 19/20, but my usual setup is 21/22 and I'll go up to 23 in the rear sometimes. And that's for my current tires. The old front, which was a 120tpi non-exo ardent race needed 22-23 to stay supported and I had a little more than that in the rear ikon.

Speaking of tire pressure, what gauge does everyone like? I generally just try to use the same floor pump throughout the year and find a pressure I like. I have a Serfas and Topeak and I’m seeing about a 4psi difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Speaking of tire pressure, what gauge does everyone like? I generally just try to use the same floor pump throughout the year and find a pressure I like. I have a Serfas and Topeak and I’m seeing about a 4psi difference between the two.
    I have a schwalbe gauge that is pretty good but recently lost the brass adapter part that lets you use it directly on a presta valve. It's not a standard presta/schrader adapter. Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement? Contacted schwalbe usa through their web form, no response, guess I'll just have to call them.

Light lil thing

Name:	8BF5366C-B0F4-43B8-AF39-5F82039E1BE9.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	251591