Page 96 of 166 FirstFirst ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 4143
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    why would one choose a dissector over a DHR ii?
    One wouldn’t, as those tires are totally a different class.

But say if you wanted more cornering grip than a Forekaster, or something lighter and faster than an Aggressor, it might be a reasonable choice.

I tried out a Dissector last Fall and it was impressively light and fast, but really poor lateral grip on wet packed surfaces (especially greasy clay). I’m gonna put it back on the rear again after our June rains are done and probably run that through our summer dry season.

Where I live the trails aren’t super rough, nor do they get totally deep and blown out once dry, so I’m optimistic I’ll have a better experience than the guys above.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Man I thought it was just me. One came on the back of my trance x. I'll run it till its dead, but I feel the squirm on hardpack like a mofo. I normally run an aggressor rear fwiw.
    I've got 2 aggressors hanging in the garage. No good in the damp compared to DHRii

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

next question why would one choose and ass guy over a DHF?

How you ride has as much of a factor in tire choice as your conditions. Do you ride like a gazelle or a solenodon? How in the hell was Tomac so fast on a Farmer John??
    Environmentt/conditions factor in as well. Y'all probably already went through this.

I mean, I actually like the tread pattern for fast summer conditions when it's brand new. It still has ok shoulder knobs, the pattern's pretty wide for loose soil, and it brakes better than a true semi-slick. But the knobs are so small/short that in those conditions it just disintegrates immediately, and the carcass is like paper.

Because you're afraid of the gap in the DHF tread.

Assegei has better grip throughout the lean angles, but less over all grip than DHF at the limits.
    It's also a helluva lot more squirmy under hard braking with the flexy knobs.

I liked the Assegei at higher speeds on more gradual turns; I didn't run into the vagueness that the DHF can have when leaned over a small amount.

However, the steeper the terrain or tighter the corners, the more the DHF moves ahead.

Do wider rims get rid of some of that vagueness for the same tire size?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

DHF let’s the front slide into position if you are leaning the bike. Same with any tire that has a proper channel (dhrii, etc).
    Assegai doesn’t have as big of a channel, so more slicing and dicing, particularly up front.

Tires with no channel will not have that aggression transition into the side knob. More about the steering.

The rest of the convo, honestly is as much to do with the tire construction than the tread pattern

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    One wouldn’t, as those tires are totally a different class.
    I disagree. Both are channel / braking surface tires, the dissector just doesn't have the mississippi riverboat paddlewheel feel on pavement / hardpack climbs. I have been running it all winter in norcal and like it in wet clay, loam, leaf litter, etc. Plenty of edge. Can't quite drop an anchor like a dhr but much nicer to haul around compared to the maxxgrip dhr I use for exploring steeps. I have the white label on the rear and it is not wearing abnormally fast.

As for the rekon I ran that all fall and had it on last week after a stretch of dry weather. I describe it as a tire that you should only use on trails where you know the braking points, but in that case it is fast. Great on the ups obviously. All my fastest dh laps in Andeh's hood since I was on a Sunday / 888 and 10 years younger are with a rekon on the back. If I was really into it I'd snip every other one of those intermediate knobs.

As for tearing tires, aggressors right in the center have been the worst for me.

I'm actually happy with both the DHF and DHRii just wondered if I was missing out on something a lot of noise created by other folks.

Sample size of around 75 miles of chunky and smooth, and I am enjoying the Dissector (exo+ with Tannus insert), but I have by no means pushed it to its limit.
    Seemed to ride well on chunk (Dakota Ridge/Chimpex), Hall Ranch and Left hand canyon...and yesterday’s greasy clay ride, where EVERY tire would have sucked. I’ll update after my Perú adventure coming up.
    For Dakota Ridge I was accidentally running about 7-9 PSI, and it didn’t explode, so I call that a win.
    DHF 2.5 up front, though, where it counts.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The honest top 2 answers to this question are:
    1. It came OEM on a lot of YT and other bikes. So the critical mass of users penetrated the social sphere.
    2. Minnaar love. Not many people can convince riders to change tires. Apparently Troy can't, but Minnaar can. Go figure.

The Ass Guy is for people who like the Minion, but want: Faster rolling, more predictable grip early in the lean, heavier than Minion.
    The Minion is for people who want: More raw grip than rolling speed, better mud clearance, curiously lighter than Ass Guy.
    It's a Goldilocks thing at this point. I like it better in the back than the front.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Has anyone tried out the Versus tires yet? I’ve been a DHR fanboy for ages and the have piqued my interest. Tread pattern looks sweet, my main concern is durability as anything less than a EXO+ is bound to rip a sidewalk within a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    DHF 2.5 up front, though, where it counts.
    Put a 2.4 Continental Baron or Kaiser on the front, especially around CO, and Maxxis fanboy status goes away forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiler17 View Post
    Has anyone tried out the Versus tires yet? I’ve been a DHR fanboy for ages and the have piqued my interest. Tread pattern looks sweet, my main concern is durability as anything less than a EXO+ is bound to rip a sidewalk within a couple months.

Yes I've gone through a few. They are my go to rear tire now. Less than $60, good tread, good damping, and plenty durable. Nice to work with a small business also. Prices went up but still not $90 like the Maxxis and Schwalbe it competes against

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Maxis Recon? I've never used them but they look OK. They're on the bike I just bought.
    Works great as a front on my kids 24” wheels. He weight 65#, so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    I disagree. Both are channel / braking surface tires, the dissector just doesn't have the mississippi riverboat paddlewheel feel on pavement / hardpack climbs.
    When I said “different class” I’d assumed that the weight difference between the two for a given size and build was at least 150g ... turns out it’s not quite that much. But yeah I see your point about the basic design philosophy.

If I’m looking at this right, the most delicate build of each should be 3C MT EXO right?
    DHRII 27.5 x 2.4 3C MT EXO = 900g
    Dissector 27.5 2.4 3C MT EXO = 787g

(Trying to do this quickly on my phone so I hope I pulled the right numbers).

I am surprised you got better wet performance on clay than I did, but also my problems were on really well packed and shaped wet surfaces like berms etc where the center ramped knob seems to just give up lateral bite vs a tire design that also has a center channel.

Joetron, if you’re getting that much squirm - would that also imply you’re running high speeds on firm trail surfaces, wouldn’t a Minion SS be more optimized for that surface anyway? Or is there too much loose stuff on top that you need to bite through. I’m more curious than anything.

I don’t have a love or hate base opinion on this controversial tire.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The Recons came on my bike and are new, I might just pull them off and sell them. We've got DHRs and DHFs in stock, imma swap them out tomorrow.

Btw totally different tires. The Recon is marketed as a fast XC tire. It works as a big nobby for my kid tho.

If it's a 29x2.4 maxxterra, I might be interested

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Put a 2.4 Continental Baron or Kaiser on the front, especially around CO, and Maxxis fanboy status goes away forever.
    What are you going to be putting on those Nobl wheels?

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

mounted new tires and they came out like this. fixable?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8435.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	366267

Name:	IMG_8437.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	366268

they were a righteous bitch to get on the rims

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    What are you going to be putting on those Nobl wheels?
    Trail King II front, Cross King rear.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    mounted new tires and they came out like this. fixable?

Name:	IMG_8435.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	366267

Name:	IMG_8437.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	366268

they were a righteous bitch to get on the rims
    Do it again with soapy water. That isn't seated all the way. It will have a wobble. If it is fucked from the factory then warranty it.

alright. fully remove, or would it be enough to just push the bead into the center and soap it?