Page 46 of 165 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 4103
    I have a pair of WTB Trail Boss on the new bike I got this year and HATE them. Actually the tread pattern isn't so terrible but the mushy wiggly knobs, particularly the side knobs, suck.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The knobs on the Vigilante are about half the size of the knobs on the assguy. Yeah the tread pattern is similar, but I doubt they're at all comparable in how they feel on dirt.
    Have you looked at the new vigilantes? Same tread pattern, but the knobs have gotten a lot taller.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The knobs on the Vigilante are about half the size of the knobs on the assguy. Yeah the tread pattern is similar, but I doubt they're at all comparable in how they feel on dirt.
    Ya just going by pics it's hard to tell. Just curious about wtb. They have a ton of options(treads, widths, casings) and maybe compounds , or hopefully so gravitylover's tires aren't a theme . No exposure on the wc dh scene which can be a good barometer

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I have a couple of other tires that come from the same factory and they don't have the same problem so yes, I assume they have different compounds and it's just this model that's too mushy for me. One of the others I have is short center knobs and tall sides and they're all stiff enough to give good rolling and great cornering stability but they do kinda suck on wet rocks and roots and the other is a big beefy mofo with tall knobs that corners awesome and has incredible climbing traction but rolls with the efficiency of a WWII era Russian tank tread. There's always a trade off somewhere.

I actually like the trail boss a lot, but it needs the right conditions. The side knobs almost resemble mud spikes, so yeah, they're squirmy on hardpack. But in soft dirt, they're awesome, and the rest of the tread pattern kinda resembles a semi slick. Except the center knobs are big enough to actually do something, so they're not nearly as skittery as a semi slick.

It's a sweet rear for loamy conditions. Not so great for bullet proof flow trails.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have a couple of other tires that come from the same factory and they don't have the same problem so yes, I assume they have different compounds and it's just this model that's too mushy for me. One of the others I have is short center knobs and tall sides and they're all stiff enough to give good rolling and great cornering stability but they do kinda suck on wet rocks and roots and the other is a big beefy mofo with tall knobs that corners awesome and has incredible climbing traction but rolls with the efficiency of a WWII era Russian tank tread. There's always a trade off somewhere.
    Was wondering how they were working. Too bad, they look like they'd work

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I actually like the trail boss a lot, but it needs the right conditions. The side knobs almost resemble mud spikes, so yeah, they're squirmy on hardpack. But in soft dirt, they're awesome, and the rest of the tread pattern kinda resembles a semi slick. Except the center knobs are big enough to actually do something, so they're not nearly as skittery as a semi slick.

It's a sweet rear for loamy conditions. Not so great for bullet proof flow trails.
    Another option for around here. What wtb would you pair up on the front with it?

Like I said I think they do have different compounds. The OE ones on my bike aren't cutting it and all I've had so far this year is soft, loamy goodness. Hero dirt! Or all out mud and they haven't done their job. Maybe it's me being a wussy or maybe I'm just a cornering animal on the 48 pound e-mtb but they're squirmy at ~26psi rr and 20 frt.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Another option for around here. What wtb would you pair up on the front with it?

Vigilante, for sure.

The judge looks to be a decent rear as well. Just got one, but haven't ridden it yet.

Check. Both the judge and the verdict look good

Have you looked at the new vigilantes? Same tread pattern, but the knobs have gotten a lot taller.
    I stand corrected then, the last Vigilante I looked at was a few years old.
    The older Vigilante I thought was a good tire, it rode like a more laid back DHF. As in, the DHF has the dead spot between the center knobs and side knobs if you don't lay it over enough; the Vigilante had a bit less maximum grip but was more forgiving. But, sounds like the new one is different.

Except WTB put the side knobs on backwards on all their tires.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Except WTB put the side knobs on backwards on all their tires.
    They're angled to give more of a braking edge while leaned over. It's bontrager that puts their side knobs on backwards.

Braking while leaned over
    No longer stuck.

I like the stout and fairly non-directional (or at least not pointed) Maxxis knobs. Because they work.
    No longer stuck.

Can anyone explain E13 tires? It's alphabet soup.
    https://images.worldwidecyclery.com/...6716_x1024.jpg
    Looks like a faster rolling dhf with the lower profile center tread. And they make a nice looking semislick. Seems like the side knobs would engage quicker on the front with the lower center.
    Big heavy tire though.
    My DHF/SS combo is working well and will probably last a long time.
    May not make up for flexy fork or mediocre pilot.
    And here's the SS:
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...ducts/SS-2.jpg
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 06-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Saw a few people flatting and tearing up the trs around here. Might be ok in other locals. Then they made the trs+ . I think they’re equivalent in weight/reinforcing of a maxxis dd, onza en/fr, special ed blck dmnd, mich reinforced

Edited my post a few times.
    Side knobs actually look a bit different between the 2.
    I feel like a would love the minion dhf with lower profile center and ss with square instead of ramped knobs.
    No longer stuck.

I suppose there's always Specialized. Or some weird combo of 2.5 DHF and 2.3 Slaughter (probably the same size). Updated Specialized treads are weird.
    No longer stuck.

Last edited by grinch; 06-19-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Most intermediate knob tires do the opposite. They just push the traction past the actual edging knobs(nevegalitis). Assguy was flavor of the week, now I see most just using them as an aggressive rear tire and going back to the dhf on the front. Kind of related but same thing happened to the scwalbe eddy current. Aggressive lugs , super burley, almost moto. People tried running it on the front. It ended up on the rear with magic Mary back on the front. Less predictable with the intermediate knobs. Brosnan's proto tire looks good or atleast better. Nicely ramped to so it should roll fast. They could ditch both the assguy and aggressor in that case. Theyll still probably flat though

I think there’s some truth here after uno ride on the assguy. Definitely a different, not as locked in while leaning it over feeling. Hope im wrong or back to the dhf I will go...time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    I think there’s some truth here after uno ride on the assguy. Definitely a different, not as locked in while leaning it over feeling. Hope im wrong or back to the dhf I will go...time will tell.
    What assguy did you get(exo, exo+, dd or dh)?

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Exo 3c max terra 27.5x2.5wt. Past dhf’s were same width, but in a 3c maxx grip compound, which i like.

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Exo 3c max terra 27.5x2.5wt. Past dhf’s were same width, but in a 3c maxx grip compound, which i like.
    Right. Hard pattern to beat . Every company seems to have a copy now or something very similar. Couple of the wtb's mentioned above, e13, conti debaron, mich wr2, bonti g5, veetire snap, and vittoriahas a new 4c tech. Wish I had tried the onza citrius I had on the front. I had it on the back and it had mega traction and edges seemed pretty good but cant confirm with trying it out front. Similar to dhf with a nice channel between centers and edges. Knobs might've been a bit taller. En/fr is equal to dd so not sure what their exo build is called. Its 2.4 . Onza aquila might be closer though

Currently running 2.5 DHF 3C MaxxGrip Exo and 2.3 DHR2 3C MaxxTerra DD. Just ordered another set to replace. Also ordered 2.5 Assguy 3C MaxxTerra and 2.3 Aggressor DC, which I'll swap on this fall once long alpine rides are finally in play with the late melt this year. Will be interesting to see how they compare.