Page 120 of 164 FirstFirst ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 4099
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Thanks all, sounds like we'll try it as is before gear buying syndrome kicks in.
    She's done biking before, but never had her own full suspension bike. As the kids are into biking, she wants to start doing it too.
    Yeah those are totally fine for front and back to start… then after some wear she can try a DHF up front and will probably have more appreciation for the feel with the change.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Im down w the Dissectors now. Way better roll and grip is plenty fine. My buddy still runs dhf up front w dissectors rear but I’ve gone front and back and think they are the best

Dissector is a great fast rolling with decent cornering knobs pattern, but it wears out really fast. It clears pretty well too due to the open pattern. I find it does really well on hardpack with a little bit of dust on top, but when things get really blown out and deep, the short knobs become a liability.

FYI Neko Mullaly has been running a Dissector front, DHR rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Dissector is a great fast rolling with decent cornering knobs pattern, but it wears out really fast. It clears pretty well too due to the open pattern. I find it does really well on hardpack with a little bit of dust on top, but when things get really blown out and deep, the short knobs become a liability.

FYI Neko Mullaly has been running a Dissector front, DHR rear.
    Dissector front, DHR rear?! That sounds backwards.

I can add that the MaxxGrip Dissector has been a great winter rear tire in Coastal BC. The sticky rubber has been helpful on slimy roots and rocks and it clears dirt well, but it isn't that painful to pedal around. After about 550 km, the knobs are looking somewhat worn down, but I haven't noticed knob undercutting beyond what I've seen on other tires, and the grip is still there.

A guy I ride with occasionally (who rips, and rides a lot) recommended Tubolight HD inserts. He likes that they add a bit of protection and sidewall support at a light weight (~90g) while being easy to install/remove. He got turned off to tough inserts (like Cushcore) after he flatted miles out in the backcountry and couldn't get the insert off to install a tube. Cheaper too, at $50/ea.

Anyway, I picked up a set to try. I've run Cushcore XC and Tannus before. Tannus warps casings for me. Cushcore XC has a nice feel but is still a hassle to install. The Tubolights I was able to install with my bare hands, no tire levers needed for EXO+ tires front and rear, in a couple minutes each. (I even ended up testing removal and reinstall because naturally immediately after I installed the rear, I noticed I had a broken spoke, so had to strip everything off to get a new spoke laced to the rim.) The foam is a bit softer than CCXC. The shape is kind of a cross between CCXC and Tannus. I've got a couple rides on, and they added enough sidewall support that I was able to drop some pressure, and they take make square edge hits less harsh. Overall, I'm quite pleased... lighter weight than going from EXO+ to DD, and provide more sidewall support. And they're easy to install.

Whelp, I have to buy a new rear tire and I'm so confused by what to get... Asseagi, Ikon, DHR, DHF???? I have a Maxxis Minion DHR 2 with double down on my aluminum frame Santa Cruz Nomad now. The bike is heavy at 36 pounds and it feels sluggish uphill, and feels great downhill. Does picking the correct tire make that much difference? I ride mostly rocky and/or dusty Tahoe trails and Auburn foothill trails. I think the double down is overkill, and it didn't stop a 1/4 inch stick from puncturing my tire anyway. Is there a tire that might feel lighter or faster uphill, and still feel fun on the downhill?

^^ IMO, if you’re pedaling go DHR2, max terra, EXO+. Maxxis just changed the makeup of the Exo+ which I like. Slightly heavier but not anywhere near the DD casing.

I ride a lot of loose over hard and rock here in Spokane and the above tire is the best balance for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There was another thread recently with some good info on Dissectors and I think I have a decent idea of what to do, but might as well post here too.

New-to-me Norco Optic came with the stock tires, 2.4" Vittoria Mazza in front and 2.35" Vittoria Martello in the back. Previous owner appears to have ridden grandma pace and both are in excellent shape so I plan to at least try them, but thinking about options should I decide to replace.

On my endurobro bike (Transition Patrol) I run 2.5" Assguy Exo front and 2.3" DHR2 DD rear, plus Cushcore. Great for that bike. However for the Optic I want significantly faster rolling and lighter, and willing to sacrifice some grip to get there, but ultimately my priority is still fun on the down more than setting records on the up.

Thinking 2.4" Dissector (MaxxTerra, Exo) in the front and 2.3" Aggressor rear (appears dual compound, Exo is the only option). I'll probably run Cushcore XC. Kinda wish the Aggressor was available in Exo+. SW CO so dry and drier conditions, and will ride the Norco primarily on the less chunky/technical trails but I'm sure I'll do something dumb with it at some point. Good tire combo? Others I should be considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Whelp, I have to buy a new rear tire and I'm so confused by what to get... Asseagi, Ikon, DHR, DHF???? I have a Maxxis Minion DHR 2 with double down on my aluminum frame Santa Cruz Nomad now. The bike is heavy at 36 pounds and it feels sluggish uphill, and feels great downhill. Does picking the correct tire make that much difference? I ride mostly rocky and/or dusty Tahoe trails and Auburn foothill trails. I think the double down is overkill, and it didn't stop a 1/4 inch stick from puncturing my tire anyway. Is there a tire that might feel lighter or faster uphill, and still feel fun on the downhill?
    Maxxis rear tires that are decent on downhills:

Dhr2 - most grip, slowest
    Dissector - a bit faster, decent grip, wears out faster.
    Aggressor - fastest of these 3. OK grip. Shitty in mud. Wears pretty well, mostly by virtue of having harder rubber.

Each of those might be available in exo, exo+, doubledown, and dh casings. Pick your casing based on 1) how pointy the rocks are on your trails, 2) how much tire pressure you want to run (if you're OK with more pressure, you can run a lighter tire), 3) how fat you are, and 4) how rad you are.

Depending on the tire, you may also have rubber compound options:
    3c maxxgrip - lots of traction, very slow rolling, wears out quickly
    3c maxxterra - OK traction, rolls decently, wears pretty well. The standard middle ground option.
    Dual compound - less traction, rolls pretty fast, wears well.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    There was another thread recently with some good info on Dissectors and I think I have a decent idea of what to do, but might as well post here too.

New-to-me Norco Optic came with the stock tires, 2.4" Vittoria Mazza in front and 2.35" Vittoria Martello in the back. Previous owner appears to have ridden grandma pace and both are in excellent shape so I plan to at least try them, but thinking about options should I decide to replace.

On my endurobro bike (Transition Patrol) I run 2.5" Assguy Exo front and 2.3" DHR2 DD rear, plus Cushcore. Great for that bike. However for the Optic I want significantly faster rolling and lighter, and willing to sacrifice some grip to get there, but ultimately my priority is still fun on the down more than setting records on the up.

Thinking 2.4" Dissector (MaxxTerra, Exo) in the front and 2.3" Aggressor rear (appears dual compound, Exo is the only option). I'll probably run Cushcore XC. Kinda wish the Aggressor was available in Exo+. SW CO so dry and drier conditions, and will ride the Norco primarily on the less chunky/technical trails but I'm sure I'll do something dumb with it at some point. Good tire combo? Others I should be considering?
    I quite liked the Mazza/Martello combo on my Optic, but put a hole in the rear Martello on about the third ride and decided I needed a beefier casing (had switched to DD casing on my previous bike). Not much inventory available at the time, so I ended up with a Hans Dampf, which is ‘meh’. Wouldn’t hesitate to put another Mazza on the front, thinking of trying a Dissector on the rear next (have ridden an Agressor on a previous bike and didn’t love it, also undercut side knobs relatively quickly. Was a 2.3, not 2.5, for what it’s worth)

The Dissector/Aggressor combo you’re considering should be faster rolling than the Mazza/Martello, but the Mazza/Martello would certainly be quicker than your Enduro set up.

FYI, I’m riding in Tahoe and I put the bike away for the winter, so almost all dry/dusty, barely any wet riding.

Thanks for the input! It sounds like the consensus is that a good tire for me would be the 2.3 Aggressor Exo+ dual compound, or maybe the 2.3 DHR2, Exo+, Maxxterra for a little more grip.

FYI the 2.5 aggressor I have in 27.5 measures like 2.38 on a 30mm internal run. Also the side knobs are much deeper on the 2.5 vs the 2.3 at least according to this article from 2019.

https://bikeco.com/maxxis-aggressor-2-3-vs-2-5-review/

I’m a big fan of this tire. I like faster rolling on the rear though. Haven’t noticed lack of traction for cornering, maybe straight line just due to the dual compound rubber.

I have personally never seen an EXO+ Aggressor, only EXO or DD, but Maxxis is releasing new stuff all the time so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Aggressor - fastest of these 3. OK grip. Shitty in mud. Wears pretty well, mostly by virtue of having harder rubber.

Each of those might be available in exo, exo+, doubledown, and dh casings. Pick your casing based on 1) how pointy the rocks are on your trails, 2) how much tire pressure you want to run (if you're OK with more pressure, you can run a lighter tire), 3) how fat you are, and 4) how rad you are.

3c maxxterra - OK traction, rolls decently, wears pretty well. The standard middle ground option.
    The only thing that I'll add to this very good rundown is that I think the MaxxGrip Dissector (and only the Dissector) might actually wear better than the MaxxTerra one. I rip side knobs off the MaxxTerra ones super promptly, but the MaxxGrip ones seem to do better, maybe because they're a little softer and more able to fold over vs. just getting undercut and falling off.

But fully agreed otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Thanks for the input! It sounds like the consensus is that a good tire for me would be the 2.3 Aggressor Exo+ dual compound, or maybe the 2.3 DHR2, Exo+, Maxxterra for a little more grip.
    Like with suspension, you ideally would change one variable at a time. If you switch between those two options, you won’t know whether it’s the softer rubber or the knobbier tread that makes one a lot slower/grippier. But there will be a notable difference, and it will certainly embolden you to join the constant circular tire debates.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Is the High Roller II considered outdated and useless, compared to the other offerings?

I haven't been on them for years, but was pretty happy with them as a rear.
    Still have 1 new 27,5 laying around, which I think about using as a rear for the GFs bike. When and if that happens......

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Is the High Roller II considered outdated and useless, compared to the other offerings?

Still have 1 new 27,5 laying around, which I think about using as a rear for the GFs bike. When and if that happens......
    I probably should have included that one. Personally I like the hr2, but I haven't run one in a while and lots of people seem to not like them.

But I'd rate them as faster rolling and faster wearing than the dhr2, probably a bit slower than a Dissector. The 2.5 is noticeably slower than the 2.3 (moreso than with other tires).

I probably should have included that one. Personally I like the hr2, but I haven't run one in a while and lots of people seem to not like them.

But I'd rate them as faster rolling and faster wearing than the dhr2, probably a bit slower than a Dissector. The 2.5 is noticeably slower than the 2.3 (moreso than with other tires).
    Yeah. I seem to remember them as pretty good on loam and dirt, not very demanding. Could be ridden pretty upright / lower speed / less leaning into turns

Yeah. I seem to remember them as pretty good on loam and dirt, not very demanding. Could be ridden pretty upright / lower speed / less leaning into turns
    They're a pretty drifty tire. Tons of cornering traction, but there's a substantial gap between the center knobs and the side knobs, so to really get them to corner right you've gotta lean them way over. But they have decent paddles down the middle, so they brake pretty well and are well mannered when they're mostly upright.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    The only thing that I'll add to this very good rundown is that I think the MaxxGrip Dissector (and only the Dissector) might actually wear better than the MaxxTerra one. I rip side knobs off the MaxxTerra ones super promptly, but the MaxxGrip ones seem to do better, maybe because they're a little softer and more able to fold over vs. just getting undercut and falling off.

But fully agreed otherwise.
    I've had the same experience. And the DD Dissector is very light for a DD (65g more than a EXO+ DHR in 27.5). So win-win.

The HR2 feels exactly like a half worn out DHR2 to me. Which could be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.

Heck I thought the HR2 was a heavy, slow rolling, poor traction pig. Given what you guys are saying now maybe I pulled them off too quick. They were OEM though so tough to know how they compare to retail version

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Heck I thought the HR2 was a heavy, slow rolling, poor traction pig. Given what you guys are saying now maybe I pulled them off too quick. They were OEM though so tough to know how they compare to retail version
    If they were the DC OEM version... you waited too long to pull them off. Those f'n tires are a MENACE.

I thought the HR2 looked like a good rear tire because the center knobs looked short and ramped, and it's called a High Roller so it's got to roll fast, right? Nope. A new HR2 on the rear is a slow rolling disappointment. That was my first use of that tread and I disliked it.

Bought a bike that came with a HR2 on the front, and there, a fresh HR2 is a fantastic cornering tire - possibly now my favorite when they're new. Problem is that the side knobs undercut quickly and the cornering deteriorates. Once that happens, move it to the rear, where a somewhat worn out HR2 isn't as draggy as a new one, and ride it until it's toast.

I've moved to DHF mostly for front tires, because the side knobs are reinforced better and they last longer. If I had an endless supply of free new tires, I'd probably stick with a HR2 front and Dissector rear, and replace frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Maxxis is meh

Cue the music for the Michelin guys to chime in.