Page 84 of 166 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 4149
    Ive got a vee rubber flow snap 2.35 with dh casing to try. Hoping their 2.35 width is a 2.45 maxxis width. Ill update

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

OK, so left overnight the Rock'r slightly grew to 2.30. Gave it a TNR spin. It's a bit slower rolling than the WEF. The edging feels similar but more supported. I can see why you guys like it, especially compared to the Assegai. It led for an unexpected but cool line choice on a section we call "the pit." It's a steep sandy chute with a runaway catch berm. The berm itself is always kinda loose because of all the sand that washes down from the face above. The front hooked up so good that when I started leaning over just before the berm, it took me on the inside line across the bottom of the catch and the rear broke loose and drifted into the catch. Felt good. I'm kinda tempted to throw the other one on the back too, but the combo of the drifty WER with the Rock'R is pretty fun already.

Thats good to hear. Some days i want the faster rolling rear and others i want the magic traction when its going to save my bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    It led for an unexpected but cool line choice on a section we call "the pit." It's a steep sandy chute with a runaway catch berm. The berm itself is always kinda loose because of all the sand that washes down from the face above. The front hooked up so good that when I started leaning over just before the berm, it took me on the inside line across the bottom of the catch and the rear broke loose and drifted into the catch. Felt good. I'm kinda tempted to throw the other one on the back too, but the combo of the drifty WER with the Rock'R is pretty fun already.
    This is almost poetry (sniff)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So o picked up new tires last week, thinking I’d put them on my bike soon. Then my shoulder re-dislocated and I’m looking at surgery and up to 6 months before I’ll be riding again.

Do tires age in storage? Should I unwrap them and lay them flat? Or what is the best way to store them?

Away from light and heat, ideally.

The front hooked up so good that when I started leaning over just before the berm, it took me on the inside line .
    First time I rode Buffalo Creek and its shitty-assed loose decomposed granite with the WR2 the same thing happened.

Kept going off trail on the *inside* of turns until I got used to all that traction.

My last rockr2 sat crumpled up in the corner of my cabin all fall/winter and half the summer. Mounted it a couple weeks ago and no sign of age. Leave it out in the sun all summer and it might have made a dif, or not. Saw a guy at the bike park this summer 3 times. Each time he was fixing a flat. 3rd time i stopped to see if i could help. New old stock . It was a new looking maxxis mobster dh with the orange stripe on the sidewall. Local bike park had him back on the bike after years away. That tire was probably 20 years old, dh casing and no cracks in the tread but he couldnt put one lap in. I think his tld kit was the same vintage. Dont wait 20 years to use those tires and youre probably ok

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    First time I rode Buffalo Creek and its shitty-assed loose decomposed granite with the WR2 the same thing happened.

Kept going off trail on the *inside* of turns until I got used to all that traction.
    That's what happens whenever I try tires without sipes between the center and edge knobs. I do have an Assegai to mount up that I want to try, as I think I sometimes drift into the outside of the trail, and the trail 'breaks' and... well, I hurt myself. Going to try to teach myself to hit the line I intend instead of just inside it,.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Mmm... new shoe...

Yeah, I threw my 2nd WR2 on the back today. Man they're a pig to pedal, but... the literal dirt ripping sounds going down. And taking inside lines instead of berms because you can...

Yeah, I threw my 2nd WR2 on the back today. Man they're a pig to pedal, but... the literal dirt ripping sounds going down. And taking inside lines instead of berms because you can...
    Finally got rid of the EXO HR2 out back. Man those EXO carcasses are flimsy...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I can't believe I ever ran anything less than double down. I guess it only took killing every exo I ever ran to put on real tires. Now my "lightweight" setup is DD front and rear with cush core in the back. Bike park season and super gnarly races and it's DH casings + cush core front and rear.

You witnessed my EXO get a flat...I’m going DD

I think there's something up with Maxxis' EXO casings these days.... I know ScaredShtles has hated them for a while, but it seems like there is an inordinate amount of flats with them in the last 6-8 months. Not just from guys here, but with my riding buddies, clients, etc. I think they're making the tires lighter and shittier. Especially the new tires like the Aggressor and Dissector.

I moved over to Continental (Baron Front, TKII rear) a couple of weeks ago and they're way better than the DHF/Aggressor I used to run. Now we'll see about durability over the coming weeks/months.

Rode Cub Creek today with the old WR out back and the new one up front. Not a single rim-strike, and I was not choosing smart lines...

I am declaring New Tire Day a great success.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think there's something up with Maxxis' EXO casings these days... I think they're making the tires lighter and shittier. Especially the new tires like the Aggressor and Dissector...
    Especially the Dissector, that thing has a paper thin casing. That tire in particular really needs to come in EXO+ and DD.
    Last edited by MegaStoke; 10-13-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Anybody use the Minion SS wide trail? Looking for a fast rolling tire that holds a line in rock gardens. Don’t really care about braking traction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	341615

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Anybody use the Minion SS wide trail? Looking for a fast rolling tire that holds a line in rock gardens. Don’t really care about braking traction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	341615

I used to really love that tire in the rear. Super fast. Still rails corners like a DHR. Terrible braking on loose or wet, but for what appears to be east coast granite from the pic it will get the job done. If it starts misting though and you hit a single wet root.......good luck.

Haven’t ridden a minion ss but currently have an e13 ss that replaces a rock razor. Rock razor had a bit more cornering grip and a bit less brake/drive traction. E13 is an enduro casing so I can actually ride over rocks. Rock razor is now available in a beefier 29 casing and I would err that way on everything other than price.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I used to really love that tire in the rear. Super fast. Still rails corners like a DHR. Terrible braking on loose or wet, but for what appears to be east coast granite from the pic it will get the job done. If it starts misting though and you hit a single wet root.......good luck.
    Upstate NY. Maybe Im overcompensating when looking for an Assegai replacement on the rear. Ive read that the 2.3 ride on the side knobs a little. Maybe the 2.5 wt on 35mm rims would fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Upstate NY. Maybe Im overcompensating when looking for an Assegai replacement on the rear. Ive read that the 2.3 ride on the side knobs a little. Maybe the 2.5 wt on 35mm rims would fix this?

I was running the 2.5 WT on 35mm internals while racing enduro on the EC. It is an easy way to get some free speed, but it's not a super forgiving tire. If you blow a corner and grab a bunch of brake you won't stop for a while.

I have the 2.3 (not WT) on a 30mm internal rim on a hardtail. Corners great, braking is poor. It's dry and dusty, loose, rocky, for most of my riding. No mud, no idea on wet traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You’d have to run 75psi to keep those knuckles from dragging.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Those terrenes have considerable manufacturing variability. Some (including most newer ones) are fine. Some, especially older ones, are not.

Also, the 2.3 chunk is a fairly bad tire. The 2.6 chunk is completely different (different tread pattern - no idea why it's not called something different), and is a mostly decent tire.
    So I have 2 2.3 chunk lights and 2 2.6 chunk toughs....

The 2.3 light lasted exactly 3 days on the rear at 25psi before a massive puncture (used 6 bacon strips to plug)

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Oof, you are the 3rd strike against the Dissector in this thread ... no good ..
    It was after 10 park days and 5 XC days... so... not great not terrible durriblity, but closer to terrible... but I love how they ride so much that I bought another pair on clearance (it was EXO or DH)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.